The Queen of the South thread

Has anyone played on this one AND Palmerston? If so, is there a major difference? I played my first ever game on 3G the other week (High School) and can say I didn't like it at all. My knees were as mashed to pieces as they would have been on astro-turf (I play in goal, but I imagine the same would happen with a slide tackle), really wasn't impressed with it, although tbf the outfielders were. Also, I ended up playing in trainers! No blades?! What's that all about? I'm sure many players have wore blades at Palmerston. Is there actually any real damage done if anything other than mouldys or trainers are worn?

I've been told only studs on the High school and other 3g pitchs, they hate trainers as well on them as it isn't good for the pitch apparently. I've only played on the QOS Arena when it was being bedded in so it might be different now but it was heavy going on my legs but then again I hadn''t played in a while.

If there ever is a new Main stand (I'll believe it when I see the diggers) it'll look pretty smart with the ancient terraces at each end, but I do hope they keep the giant Queen of the South sign purely out of nostalgia. Hopefully they don't make it too big, as much i like the main stand for the memories, but it is out of date and any upgrade is certainly a thing to have.

In a way i'm sort of glad that we didn't get promoted to the big leagues and have to build a soulless new ground or lose the terracing. A redevelopment out of choice and being able to do so financially is a lot better than being forced into something when we couldn't afford it á la Airdrieonians, Falkirk, Livi etc.

Flat trainers shouldn't be used on them as it compresses all of the underlay and makes the pitch hard. Blades are absolutely fine though. Some seem to say they aren't allowed without any real reason as to why.

That's what I thought. No blades but trainers are ok?! I just thought it was very picky. As you say, I wasn't given an actual reason as to why blades weren't allowed.

That's what I thought. No blades but trainers are ok?! I just thought it was very picky. As you say, I wasn't given an actual reason as to why blades weren't allowed.

Normal everyday trainers aren't allowed at Palmerston either. As I said conditions of hire are on the website:

Footwear
Astro trainers and moulded studs are acceptable. Strictly no metal studs, blades or flat soled footwear allowed on the playing surface
Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just wondering how does that work for club games skyline?

Basically do you have the right to tell visiting players what boots they wear, even tho their boots are legal within the laws of the game? Obviously you can make recommendations which players would be sensible to follow.

Just wondering how does that work for club games skyline?

Basically do you have the right to tell visiting players what boots they wear, even tho their boots are legal within the laws of the game? Obviously you can make recommendations which players would be sensible to follow.

Good question. Certainly clubs which have 3G surfaces do send each other "rules" ahead of the games to the same effect as above "no metal studs, no blades". Whether they actually have the right to insist on it if the boots are legal within the Laws of the Game I have no idea.

Normal everyday trainers aren't allowed at Palmerston either. As I said conditions of hire are on the website:

I'm not asking whether they are allowed, the rules state you cannot wear blades at either pitch, I'm well aware of this. My query was why they weren't allowed. Which I still don't know. I just imagine that if such a common piece of footwear is prohibited on these pitches then a reasonable explanation would accompany the decision.

I'm not asking whether they are allowed, the rules state you cannot wear blades at either pitch, I'm well aware of this. My query was why they weren't allowed. Which I still don't know. I just imagine that if such a common piece of footwear is prohibited on these pitches then a reasonable explanation would accompany the decision.

I assume that blades arent allowed as they are considered dangerous on the surface. Dont know for sure. But you previous post said "trainers are ok" which clearly they are not. Thats why I answered the point as I did.

Haven't been on the Palmerston pitch for a few months (it was still really bedding in at that point), but even then it was far better than the HS pitch which has too much black stuff; it's actually a rugby pitch mind you!

Annan/Kirkcudbright/Newton Stewart are all good surfaces IMO as well

I assume that blades arent allowed as they are considered dangerous on the surface. Dont know for sure. But you previous post said "trainers are ok" which clearly they are not. Thats why I answered the point as I did.

I was referring to the high school pitch, where I was wearing them.

Haven't been on the Palmerston pitch for a few months (it was still really bedding in at that point), but even then it was far better than the HS pitch which has too much black stuff; it's actually a rugby pitch mind you!

Annan/Kirkcudbright/Newton Stewart are all good surfaces IMO as well

The pitch at the HS is indeed a rugby pitch you are correct .Is that silly wee guy still ordering everyone around and spouting utter drivel ? .The rugby club put their foot down ( no pun intended) when the first surface was laid , and it was replaced with the longer version .

Edited by weeredbook

Good question. Certainly clubs which have 3G surfaces do send each other "rules" ahead of the games to the same effect as above "no metal studs, no blades". Whether they actually have the right to insist on it if the boots are legal within the Laws of the Game I have no idea.

A few years ago the Stenhousemuir 'keeper wore metal studs at Links Park. The board weren't happy but he basically just told them to f**k off and they couldn't do anything about it.

That waa a few years ago so rules may have changed. Think the 'keeper was Ally Brown.

I see that McGuffie has left the club so he can come to Australia. Anyone know if this is a football related move or another line of work?

Heard a wee while ago he had been offered a player coach role in Aus. Hope all goes well for him. He always gave his all in a QoS top.