The Queen of the South thread

10 years ago today .

Queens lost 3-2 away to Motherwell in the Scottish Cup .

Fantastic away support of nearly 2,500 there that cold snowy day .......

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/070204.htm

Was that really ten years ago ? A snowstorm of epic proportions and a valiant fightback which just failed to get a draw and replay. I remember fighting my way back to the bus with my girlfriend ( now wife) not being able to see hardly a thing through the blizzard.

Can he pass? No. Can he tackle? No. Can he run with the ball? No. Does he do a lot of work? No. Can he head? No. Is he a leader? No.

Enjoy Mark Fucking Kerr.

It will not matter as he is just a bit of back up. A reminder though that similar things were said about Derek Young and he has been a fucking brilliant signing. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Was that really ten years ago ? A snowstorm of epic proportions and a valiant fightback which just failed to get a draw and replay. I remember fighting my way back to the bus with my girlfriend ( now wife) not being able to see hardly a thing through the blizzard.

Yes, at half-time and 3-0 down, fans were chanting for an abandonment due to the snow.

We managed to make it interesting, but we'd given ourselves too much to do.

Conceding a needless penalty in the second minute courtesy of Andy Aitken didn't help.

There really was a feel good factor around then. We'd been top of the League that season and took a big crowd to this game, as we'd done to Easter Road earlier that season.

I liked Connolly.

It's good to see that Kerr has got another club.

He wasn't good enough for the Premiership but he played against Ayr and Cowdenbeath in the LC and did OK so he could do well in the Championship for Queens.

Mark Kerr couldn't get a game for us when we were absolutely lightweight in the middle of the park recently. QotS is quite a significant step down from us though so I'm sure he'll get his chance to displease yet another group of unfortunate supporters.

Mark Kerr couldn't get a game for us when we were absolutely lightweight in the middle of the park recently. QotS is quite a significant step down from us though so I'm sure he'll get his chance to displease yet another group of unfortunate supporters.

A step down because its a league down , yes . A " significant step down though " ? Is this the same Partick Thistle I have been watching on Sportscene all season desperately trying to win at home? Maybe it will be the same level then if/when you come down #thankgodforheartseh? Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Hahaha that massive all conquering side Partick Thistle Eh? Deary deary me.

:D

2nkphs6.jpg

Im going to give the lad a chance, a lot of people wrote Young off when he first joined maybe Kerr will prove us all wrong. I dont think you can complain about a bit of depth in the squad and i cant see him being on that much a week. Win win situation if he plays well it will help us with our chances of the playoffs if he dont he will go at the end of the season. Nothing to lose.

A step down because its a league down , yes . A " significant step down though " ? Is this the same Partick Thistle I have been watching on Sportscene all season desperately trying to win at home? Maybe it will be the same level then if/when you come down #thankgodforheartseh?

I am not so sure about how significant the step down was at the Ramsdens Cup Final either . Minimal ? Non Existent ? Some fans live in cloud cuckoo land with their delusional shite .

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Offt FR has rattled a few cages.

The difference between the top/middle of the Championship and the bottom of the Premiership is significant unlike between the First and Second division.

I've no idea what improvements Queens made to their team preseason but most of our squad that swept all aside in the first division have clearly been struggling to get points this year. Our form has improved in January once we brought in better players.

The Ramsden Cup final was won by the better team on the day. I don't see how that is a gauge on this year's squads when from the team that finished for us last season only 2 or 3 will start against Motherwell.

Offt FR has rattled a few cages.
The difference between the top/middle of the Championship and the bottom of the Premiership is significant unlike between the First and Second division.

I'd disagree, assuming that in referring to 'the First and Second division', you actually mean the second and the third tiers.

I'd say there's a bigger step between these leagues as it marks a notional divide, albeit with a handful of exceptions, between full-time and part-time sides.

The changes in distribution of funding which have come in with the creation of the SPFL, are also likely to further cement the gulf between the second and third tiers as the biggest one.

I'd disagree, assuming that in referring to 'the First and Second division', you actually mean the second and the third tiers.

I'd say there's a bigger step between these leagues as it marks a notional divide, albeit with a handful of exceptions, between full-time and part-time sides.

The changes in distribution of funding which have come in with the creation of the SPFL, are also likely to further cement the gulf between the second and third tiers as the biggest one.

The Premiership is all about money. Far more so than any other league in Scotland IMO.
We have the 2nd smallest budget in the league so we're 2nd bottom of the league.
I agree there is a gap bewteen Championship and League 1 but if it wasn't for Hearts we'd be bottom, yet in comparison in the Championship Queens are 4th with almost the same set of players as last season. The part time sides have also been been competing well, more so Dumbarton and less so Cowdenbeath this season. There have only been a couple of our players from last season, who were good Championship players, that could even compete this season.
The Premiership has so much more money than the rest of the leagues and it shows with Kilmarnock bringing in Eremenko and Ross County's shameless arms race. I can't think of a club that has come up and stayed up in the Premiership without chucking large amounts of cash at the team, but that doesn't really happen in the Championship to the same extent.