The Queen of the South thread

1988-89 must statiscally be the worst ever and it was horrendous viewing in the flesh. We hardly won any games and even had three points deducted for playing Jim McBride who wasn't properly registered . McBride had arrived for a short second spell from Oz. The 'coup de grace' if you like was getting hammered 7-1 and 6-0 against Falkirk and Kilmarnock respectively in the last two league games. Another really poor season was the relegation season of 78-79. This was still better than 88-89 as we put together a strong run together for around three months before totally blowing up from 79 onwards to end of season. Just thought of another horror season 81-82.

Two points deducted Hammer. ;)

88-89 was only my second season of watching Queens. Would have been enough to scunner most from watching football at all, but yer hame teams yer ain team!

Like SD that was a first season living away as a poor student for me, so much of the horror of it wasn't experienced up close. It also explains my lack of familiarity with Rikki Ferguson.

Of the seasons listed by SD, I think in honesty the prize really needs to go to either of the seasons where we finished near the very bottom of the bottom tier.

It's funny in both cases though. As SD says, McGarvey' s side enjoyed some cup success and so did the 79/80 side, culminating in one of my most vivid early Palmerston memories - joining another 7500 to watch a good tussle against Patrick Thistle and their World Cup goalie.

The QOS Arena is a fantastic facility for the community and the chairman deserves massive credit for setting the club up financially for years to come. I had heard about the possibility of a gym going into the arena, is that still the case?

And there's a beautician , a hairdresser and local girl Kim Harkness is moving her business ' the Fairy Bodmother ' into the Arena also .

The future's bright at Palmerston :D

Edinburgh prices for some of the food though. Still, it is a business at the end of the day.

The QOS Arena is a fantastic facility for the community and the chairman deserves massive credit for setting the club up financially for years to come. I had heard about the possibility of a gym going into the arena, is that still the case?

There's a gym & showers/changing rooms going in as we speak & did hear further down the line a pub will be going in upstairs

There cannot be enough praise for the board on this fantastic project that is coming to fruition. This can help secure our future for years and especially the full time side of it. Guys that I work with , that haven't had a kick about for years , are getting together and booking the Arena . Long may it continue as its getting these thirty / forty / even fifty somethings some exercise and helping Queens at the same time.

There cannot be enough praise for the board on this fantastic project that is coming to fruition. This can help secure our future for years and especially the full time side of it. Guys that I work with , that haven't had a kick about for years , are getting together and booking the Arena . Long may it continue as its getting these thirty / forty / even fifty somethings some exercise and helping Queens at the same time.

Indeed. There are benefits for both the club and the community. If it gets more folk out and having a kick about all the better.

Slightly off topic but are there still pitches in use along the road at King George the V? If so, I suppose it will have a knock on effect.

I remember the first generation plastic pitch that was in place at King George. It was brutal, real skin graft material if you happend to be tackled.