The Queen of the South thread

Brownlie is an excellent signing for Queens. A player I would love to see back in a Cowden shirt one day. As mentioned before Fowler and Brownlie played together briefly for us so Fowler will know exactly what to expect.

Strong, quick and good in the air and not bad with the ball at his feet. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become a fans favourite.

I noticed he wasn't a regular for Cowdenbeath though ?

Two more strikers would give us 5, including Smith. When did we last have five strikers in the squad?

We've kind of replaced like for like, so far, with all five signings, certainly in terms of age and experience. It'll be interesting to see if that continues with any further signings, who would effectively replace Carmichael, Paton and McKenna

Two more strikers would give us 5, including Smith. When did we last have five strikers in the squad?

We've kind of replaced like for like, so far, with all five signings, certainly in terms of age and experience. It'll be interesting to see if that continues with any further signings, who would effectively replace Carmichael, Paton and McKenna

It could be argued that we had 5 strikers in the squad last season, Reilly, Lyle, Aidan Smith, Pickard and Russell, and under Mr MacPherson, at one point in the season we had 7 although that did not end very well !!The 7 being, Brighton, Smith,Clark,Smillie,McCusker,Reilly, and Parkin

It could be argued that we had 5 strikers in the squad last season, Reilly, Lyle, Aidan Smith, Pickard and Russell, and under Mr MacPherson, at one point in the season we had 7 although that did not end very well !!The 7 being, Brighton, Smith,Clark,Smillie,McCusker,Reilly, and Parkin

Tom Brighton was a legend .

You're right, although I didnt count Russell in my five for next season, so that would be six. Is Pickard a striker? Anytime Ive seen him he as come on in midfield

As I said, Id be surprised if two more experienced players come in, although that does depend on how much first team action Higgins is expected to see. I'd totally agree that we need another "main" stiker with Smith and Higgins as back-up. I wouldnt be all that keen on another youngster coming in if it means less game time for Smith. I wouldnt, though, be surprised to see two attacking players come in who can play up front, or in behind the strikers, much like Paton.

If you use MacPherson to try and prove any kind of point, you lose at the internet :P

Pickard joined the u20's as a centre forward but hasn't played there since the start of last season. He's been converted to a centre midfielder. He joined the first team squad just before Xmas and certainly hasn't been a forward in that time. Russell has played about as much time up front as Mark Durnan has too.

We started last season with three out and out strikers (Reilly, Lyle and Baird), two promising kids who had no first team experience behind them (the two Smith's) and the likes of Russell, Carmichael and Paton who could play an attacking role from a wide position. After Baird left we effectively worked with two strikers.

As for Gus's season, McCusker and Smith barely kicked a ball due to injury and that was one reason why Parkin came in. Clark was also no more a striker that season than the likes of Michael Paton was in the one just past. They played a similar wide midfield or link man between striker and midfield role. Clark wasn't converted to an out and out striker until Allan Johnston took charge.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The club has paid for a players holiday for a few years. Usually its at the end of the season but this year its been moved to the start as a pre-season training camp. Doesnt affect the playing budget

Call me old fashioned but what would be wrong with a pre-season training week on the beach at Southerness or Sandy Hills!

Pickard certainly played a forward role for the dev team.

I never got the chance to see them all season but as far as I know he played centre midfield usually with Lyndon Dykes and Aidan Smith the forwards augmented by Dean Smith and Dean Brotherston. He may have played the odd game further forward once Dykes returned to Australia as he would be far more physical than the others.

Guest Flash

Squad that started last season compared to now

Kerr => Millar

Baird => A Smith

Dzierzawski=> Pickard

Mitchell=> Hooper

Clark=> Thomson

Paton=> Conroy

Carmichael => Skelton

Holt => Rutherford

Reilly => Higgins

Durnan => Brownlie

McShane=> ??

McKenna=> ??

Slattery=> ??

I might have got some wrong. Subject to that, it looks like we are currently 3 down on the squad that started last season, in particular no replacement for McShane so far. I appreciate that we managed without a numer of players last season due to injury and loanees, but it wouldn't seem to be a good idea to deliberately start the season with 3 fewer players. Anyway, the above might allow a rough comparison.

Call me old fashioned but what would be wrong with a pre-season training week on the beach at Southerness or Sandy Hills!

Probably nothing. But then the likes of Barcelona arent jetting over to Sandyhills, so maybe something

You would hope its a bit of an incentive for new players we're trying to sign. Wages are pretty much the same between clubs at this level, with some obvious exceptions, as are training locations and facilities. If the promise of pre-season training in Spain at a top training camp helps convince players to sign for us over our rivals, surely its a good thing?

Squad that started last season compared to now

Kerr => Millar

Baird => A Smith

Dzierzawski=> Pickard

Mitchell=> Hooper

Clark=> Thomson

Paton=> Conroy

Carmichael => Skelton

Holt => Rutherford

Reilly => Higgins

Durnan => Brownlie

McShane=> ??

McKenna=> ??

Slattery=> ??

I might have got some wrong. Subject to that, it looks like we are currently 3 down on the squad that started last season, in particular no replacement for McShane so far. I appreciate that we managed without a numer of players last season due to injury and loanees, but it wouldn't seem to be a good idea to deliberately start the season with 3 fewer players. Anyway, the above might allow a rough comparison.

I would have Conroy as McShanes replacement. Im not sure I would put Skelton as Carmichaels replacement either. I would guess its more likely we'll see as many attacking players as out and out midfielders come in.

I take your point about comparing the numbers but Slattery spent very little of the season even on the bench and then a good deal of it out on loan.