The Queen of the South thread

Let's spice this thread up. Do you guys think you can hit the dizzy heights of last season after losing a few good players?

I think its still too early to say. We're not alone in having a, relatively, high turnover of players and at least dont have to build a whole new team like St Mirren and Livi. So far, no one has made any "wow" signings - new managers have brought in players they know and others have shuffled around from one club in this league to another.

You'd expect Hibs and Rangers to be battling for the title but after that its pretty open. Falkirk will be clear favourites for 3rd, if they can keep Sibbald and/or replace Loys goals, but neither of those are guaranteed.

We've still a few players to come in and I dont see any reason why we wont be in the middle pack again or why we shouldnt be competing at the top end of it again

Well no, but it would be a surprise if we could lose that many players in an upward direction and not be weakened.

Not that there was anything particularly 'dizzying' about last season's heights, mind you. It's happened a good few times in the last decade.

Yeah this pretty much.

I don't think anyone would pretend at this point that the players to have so far come in are as good as those who have left. Conroy is an established player at this level who has won the title recently. Thomson and Brownlie are young but have played plenty of football at this level previously. Higgins and Rutherford are raw and pretty much untested. We're likely to be weaker than last season even bearing in mind there will be a few more players to come in yet. We'll also be building a new team really rather than replacing a couple of players as we have in the last two summers.

Finishing 4th in itself wasn't that big an achievement last season. As MT says, we've finished 4th four or five times in the last decade. Finishing 4th in the company we had and the manner in which we did it, playing good stuff, being ultimately fairly comfortable in 4th and outpointing both Rangers and Hibs in head to heads on the other hand was an achievement.

I wouldn't be surprised if we finish 4th again. It's not that big a reach, though if we do then Fowler will have done a good job in rebuilding and settling a team quickly. At this point Falkirk are also weaker than last season, St Mirren are a complete mystery, Raith have also had a big player turnover, it remains to be seen how Morton will make the transition to the Championship and Livi have about 8 registered players. It's unlikely the two part time sides will seriously make a playoff push although Dumbarton have signed well so far. However, it's unlikely we'll be so close to challenging the two really big boys again this season. You can't lose four of your young stars to the division above (+ Carmichael to Hibs) and not expect to be weaker for it.

So if by "dizzying heights" it means can we play as well consistently and be a serious threat to the top two for a sustained period then, no, I think that's unlikely. However, a third successive season in the playoffs is still a legitimate target albeit I don't think this season it would necessarily be a failure not to get it depending on how close we got and how others do.

Please support the Queens Trust. Memberships for 2015/16 now being taken with a chance to win 1 of 5 season tickets!

Follow link:

http://queenstrust.org/?p=540

Membership drive of to a great start with 20+ renewals and 6 new ones in just one day. We were at 112 memebrs. This is the Queens Trusts 10th anniversary year and it would be great to get up to 150 or even 200 members. Please support the Trust if you can. Only £10 if working £5 all concessions.

So according to the Courier newspaper, you guys have got Dale Hilson training with you. Rovers in for him as well but I'd expect with him training with you guys that your in pole position to offer him something.

Good post by SD.

I think the overall quality of the league will be less than last season, but with several teams much of a muchness it is possible it will be even more competitive.

As I've stated before, anywhere between 3rd and 7th seems perfectly plausible.

I don't think we have any chance of finishing 3rd, not sure what that is based on.

Mid table for me at this point.

I doubt we'll be third but I don't see how anyone can be written off for that at all at the moment (except maybe the part time sides). The only reason to write off 3rd is if you think St Mirren are an unattainable target. Whilst I guess that's likely by the time we start, as they have barely enough players to form a team at the moment (they signed Scott Agnew this morning apparently), it's not something I'd be prepared to give up on right now.

Would u guys take Bob McHugh back? For me it would be very much a meh signing

I would, although I think it was on here that he's training with Falkirk.

As I said on the Dumbarton thread the other day when one of their fans asked about him, I think he did well for us. Everyone remembers that miss and he was injured a fair bit with us too but when he played he led the line well, he was a physical presence without being just a target man and he scored some good goals too. He was outstanding against Falkirk in the two playoff games and I think that showed what he's capable of. He's had a long term injury since then though. If his fitness wasn't a doubt and he was available at the right cost though I'd happily take him.

Kyle jacobs frae livi.

Poss 2 frae the N/E.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1435236217.426651.jpg

Be pretty pleased if this went through.

Wouldn't be surprised if The Standard are struggling to fill the back page for tomorrow and have just heard this rumour (or read Supersouth's post!) and are running with it :lol:

My money is on a piece saying something like The Standard have reason to believe he is training with us with a view to signing, Fowler has always been an admirer of his and then some information on him as a player. I'll bet we know nothing more about this rumour after tomorrow's piece than we already know just now ;)

Edited by 19QOS19

The way fowler spoke, in the interview with stig, it's what he's looking at and maybe giving a chance to someone from North East if right players become available.

With the players we've lost and brought in, there must be a fair bit of candy in the pot.

The way fowler spoke, in the interview with stig, it's what he's looking at and maybe giving a chance to someone from North East if right players become available.

With the players we've lost and brought in, there must be a fair bit of candy in the pot.

There might well be candy in the pot but that's not to say it will get spent, especially on players!

We have lost players before and replaced them and will do so again. the big thing is losing them all in the one summer. It could take a couple of years before we have players capable of joining other teams for a development fee again. At least this summer we have had a bit of income coming in through the door as in other seasons Dobbie/Harris left for nothing. I would have been nice if we had lost one player a season rather than them all at once but that's football!

Guest Flash

The thing St Mirren have in their favour is the parachute payment. So they can add £500k to their budget right away.

Not saying it guarantees they will finish above us, but it gives them a good start.