The Queen of the South thread

This seems to be a recurring theme every week. Now I don't really agree with the booing but performances have been absolutely boggin. No wonder folk are getting annoyed how many times have we said it this season repeating the exact same things every week. Next 2 games I honestly am not sure what will happen. Hopefully a bit of urgency; energy and intent to win the game would be good to see get the fans back on side. I appreciate the turnover in players and qaulity but the standard of play has been so poor for the most part. Huge test for fowler who I still think can get us performing.

I would look to be starting a few more of the youngsters again like Smith, Pickard and Hooper et al. To play so well at Ibrox and then to collapse in the 2nd half at home to Livingston was a bit of a puzzler. A mixture of experience and youth would be a better combination. I'd like to go to Broadwood to see Queens train if this was allowed to supporters.

Still no reason to boo and harass the others . Agree re Thomson and Marshall but still no excuse to boo the others

Young team particularly guilty of that today

They booed Millar after he squared up to Thomson which is fair enough and he was lucky not to get sent off or Thomson not reciprocating the shove which was even less helpful than giving multiple fouls on the edge of the box let alone a few boos. I heard pretty standard frustration at a very abject second half performance but not jeers at every touch save Millar immediately after the incident. People don't really ask for much other than to put reasonable account of themselves on a saturday which they didn't today and haven't on several occasions. The team aren't where they are because some nasty men slagged them off a couple of times.

I don't boo myself and its not especially beneficial to anyone but as professionals they surely must know that they are nowhere near what some of those players are capable of and the fickle nature of football usually suggests that you'll get slated at some point. Lets not pretend that it doesn't happen elsewhere and we are the worst fans in the world.

Posted the following in July and got bit of a backlash,

"One of the biggest differences i fear is how committed the players will be. I appreciate they will all be professional but can't see the same commitment from them as the Dumfries boys. I also felt more of an attachment (rightly or wrongly) as they were one of "us" . Feel free to disagree."

Just wondered if folk still disagree to the same extent.

Our Scottish Cup finalists had one Dumfries lad in the squad that day.

Just saying ;)

I think a "better" manager could have us doing slightly more, and by better I probably just mean more experienced. At this level clubs tend to finish around about where they should, and that's exactly where we are just now.

The hospital the players were born in is as irrelevant to this squad of players as it was the last. The key things that separate them is that one group was considerably better than the other, and that group grew together as a collective. I can't see that happening with this squad because half of them will be lucky to still be on the books come January, with a large majority being out the door in the Summer.

I think a "better" manager could have us doing slightly more, and by better I probably just mean more experienced. At this level clubs tend to finish around about where they should, and that's exactly where we are just now.

The hospital the players were born in is as irrelevant to this squad of players as it was the last. The key things that separate them is that one group was considerably better than the other, and that group grew together as a collective. I can't see that happening with this squad because half of them will be lucky to still be on the books come January, with a large majority being out the door in the Summer.

Yes, all correct.

Our players simply aren't as good as the ones that left.

No mystery or surprise in that though.

I see us finishing 7th or 8th. It could be worse than that, but hopefully won't be.

Just a thought but I was wondering how many of the fans booing and berating the players yesterday are on other sites urging better vocal support for the team at home games. If the team is playing rubbish they should not be surprised that the fans vent their frustration whether it be at home or away. I wouldn't like to think that some supporters are guilty of double standards.

Fowler has signed a mixture of players who aren't very good, ones who used to be quite good but whose legs have gone and ones who could be quite good but who have a terrible attitude. And quite often, he has managed to get the worst out of them.

In my opinion, we are in a false position after fortunate wins against Morton and Dumbarton. I have yet to see a full-time team that is worse. Dumbarton were a better footballing side too, but failed to win because they couldn't score. I'd say this team will be 8th at the end of the season unless something changes. Winning the head to heads with Alloa and Dumbarton has given us a bit of a cushion against being lower.

If the target this season was promotion via the play-offs then Fowler has failed miserably. If the target was avoiding relegation, he should just about make it. Although it is brutal to watch most of the time.

I've said before and I'll say again. If someone offered us 8th right now I'd bite their hand off. We're lucky the quality of competition is so poor this season. Alloa are dead certs to go down, but with Livi finding a bit of form we'd better hope Dumbarton don't find their shooting boots or 9th spot isn't unrealistic for us.

Alloa are the only side I'd say we are comfortably better than. From what I've seen against the others in this league we are by no means any better than any other side, and I include Dumbarton in that.

Fowler has signed a mixture of players who aren't very good, ones who used to be quite good but whose legs have gone and ones who could be quite good but who have a terrible attitude. And quite often, he has managed to get the worst out of them.

In my opinion, we are in a false position after fortunate wins against Morton and Dumbarton. I have yet to see a full-time team that is worse. Dumbarton were a better footballing side too, but failed to win because they couldn't score. I'd say this team will be 8th at the end of the season unless something changes. Winning the head to heads with Alloa and Dumbarton has given us a bit of a cushion against being lower.

If the target this season was promotion via the play-offs then Fowler has failed miserably. If the target was avoiding relegation, he should just about make it. Although it is brutal to watch most of the time.

If we created a Queen of the Sons Xi then we'd have a team capable of putting in a strong challenge for 6th place.

It sounds like us last season, little to play for, poor football and an unmotivated group of average players. You'll stay up comfortably like us last season, but that's mainly due to dross like ourselves, Alloa and St Mirren being in the league.

If we created a Queen of the Sons Xi then we'd have a team capable of putting in a strong challenge for 6th place.

It sounds like us last season, little to play for, poor football and an unmotivated group of average players. You'll stay up comfortably like us last season, but that's mainly due to dross like ourselves, Alloa and St Mirren being in the league.

Fully agree with what you are saying.

I think it was Flash that alluded to the idea that Fowler had been set a target of fourth and was looking to achieve this by any means possible even if it required boring us all to death in the process. I'm might be paraphrasing slightly.

I didn't agree with what he said entirely, but the manager and several players have certainly referred to "targets" for each quarter, and commenting that we have fallen short of them. Perhaps it is time to reassess those targets and look at the bigger picture. One would hope the manager has a rough idea already of who is going to be out the door in the next two windows, so why persist with them? Lets treat this "non-season" as a learning curve for the players that will be around next year. It might not seem too appealing having watched a lot of them, but we simply can't have the same overhaul again next Summer, so the reality is plenty will still be around. There's no denying our season of pumping everyone in the seaside league did the last group no harm at all in their development. But a season of getting pumped on the odd occasion, and having to take the knocks and battle back won't necessarily harm the likes of Thomson, Marshall, Smith, Hooper and Pickard. We're not Bayern Munich so it's a more realistic education than winning every week is.

I'd rather watch Pickard make a mistake due to his inexperience, than Millar do the same because he can't be arsed. Only one of the two is going to get better by getting more game time.

I think it was Flash that alluded to the idea that Fowler had been set a target of fourth and was looking to achieve this by any means possible even if it required boring us all to death in the process. I'm might be paraphrasing slightly.

I didn't agree with what he said entirely, but the manager and several players have certainly referred to "targets" for each quarter, and commenting that we have fallen short of them. Perhaps it is time to reassess those targets and look at the bigger picture. One would hope the manager has a rough idea already of who is going to be out the door in the next two windows, so why persist with them? Lets treat this "non-season" as a learning curve for the players that will be around next year. It might not seem too appealing having watched a lot of them, but we simply can't have the same overhaul again next Summer, so the reality is plenty will still be around. There's no denying our season of pumping everyone in the seaside league did the last group no harm at all in their development. But a season of getting pumped on the odd occasion, and having to take the knocks and battle back won't necessarily harm the likes of Thomson, Marshall, Smith, Hooper and Pickard. We're not Bayern Munich so it's a more realistic education than winning every week is.

I'd rather watch Pickard make a mistake due to his inexperience, than Millar do the same because he can't be arsed. Only one of the two is going to get better by getting more game time.

Good post, especially the last bit!

Perfectly put .