The Queen of the South thread

I would take him back in a heartbeat. Remains to be seen if either party are interested though.

I dare say if anything did happen then a short term deal to the summer would be mutually beneficial to both parties.

Nicky Clark is free, available and looking for a new club. Just putting it out there!

I would take Nicky Clark back in a heartbeat. However, I would imagine his wage demands are outwith our means and it seems Barnsley have already failed to agree terms with him. We can't get him on loan either since we already have Andrew Murdoch on loan from Rangers.

Are you seriously asking if a member of Rangers' first team squad earns more than a member of the Queens one?

I was asking because he not been a regular starter for rangers since they been in this league and he wouldn't be a top earner in their team.

I kinda guessed he and most of the playing squad are on more than ours but wasn't sure by how much

It's really pleasing to see Clark languishing on the bench as Rangers struggle to get out of this league at the second attempt. Meanwhile Gavin Reilly is reaping the benefits of staying with us, playing and scoring for the third best team in the country.

Probably for the best if Sandy Clark sticks to coaching in the third tier and doesn't branch out into becoming a football agent any time soon.

It's really pleasing to see Clark languishing on the bench as Rangers struggle to get out of this league at the second attempt. Meanwhile Gavin Reilly is reaping the benefits of staying with us, playing and scoring for the third best team in the country.

Probably for the best if Sandy Clark sticks to coaching in the third tier and doesn't branch out into becoming a football agent any time soon.

Nice to see someone else who has absolutely no sympathy for Clark's current predicament :lol:

What happens if we get promoted, should he just stick for coaching in the second tier?

According to Wiki he's played as many games for Rangers as he did for Queens, that's a success in itself in fairness. Interesting that you've used the example of Reilly, instead of say Holt or Durnan? Staying wouldn't have guaranteed him a good move in a few years time, it was pretty clear though that he was going to get a massive pay rise, any player would do the same.

I've nothing against Nicky Clark and I don't blame him for making the move. Very few Scottish players wouldn't have made it in similar circumstances. I take no particular delight in his failure to make an impact, but obviously, I'm not unhappy that his team hasn't prospered.

I am however thoroughly resentful of the role played by Sandy Clark in facilitating it. The move would clearly have happened anyway, but it was absolutely improper for our assistant manager to be openly talking about his chats with McCoist about a player we'd attempted to retain by making an offer to.

To avoid such a clear conflict of interest, Sandy should have stayed right out of it, at least publicly. His lack of respect for Queens however, was such that it didn't even occur to him that he was being disrespectful.

I've nothing against Nicky Clark and I don't blame him for making the move. Very few Scottish players wouldn't have made it in similar circumstances. I take no particular delight in his failure to make an impact, but obviously, I'm not unhappy that his team hasn't prospered.I am however thoroughly resentful of the role played by Sandy Clark in facilitating it. The move would clearly have happened anyway, but it was absolutely improper for our assistant manager to be openly talking about his chats with McCoist about a player we'd attempted to retain by making an offer to.To avoid such a clear conflict of interest, Sandy should have stayed right out of it, at least publicly. His lack of respect for Queens however, was such that it didn't even occur to him that he was being disrespectful.

Absolutely the point I was making. Sandy Clark is a cretin.

Interesting that you've used the example of Reilly, instead of say Holt or Durnan?

I don't really know what your point is so apologies if I go off in the completely opposite direction here.

Reilly, Holt and Durnan stuck with us and proved themselves in the Championship. Reilly and Holt have since proven that that extra year was clearly beneficial as they've made the leap to the top flight pretty smoothly.

Clark banged the goals in for us in the seaside leagues but never stayed on for the extra season to prove himself in the division above. Instead he saw the pound signs and jumped at the chance (some would say fair enough). He stayed in the same division rather than go up a league and test himself at a decent level.

He's since been meh at this level once again and finds himself without a club. Reilly and Holt have developed well and look to have the footballing world 'at their feet'.

Who's better? Clark or Reilly? Was a debate that had some of our fans divided. I was always a Reilly man myself and it's good to see that the boy has proven that ;) Clark has yet to establish himself at this level yet IMO and I wouldn't be jumping for joy if he re-signed.

I'm not saying that's what Palmy_Cammy was getting at, it's just my take on it. And I left Durnan out of the discussion as he's clearly not doing well just now (though if he had an older head beside him I reckon his fortunes would change). FWIW, I think Cammy used Reilly as an example rather than Holt or Durnan for the reasons I mentioned above about our fans' debates. Could be wrong though :)

Edited by 19QOS19

I think it is stretching it a bit to say Reilly and Holt have made the step up "pretty smoothly". Reilly has had a wee run of form since he got in due to Juanma getting himself suspended just before Xmas. It's great to see him doing well and credit to Robbie Neilson who has kept faith and supported him but up to about 4 weeks ago the Hearts fans were generally of the opinion he was out of his depth. Likewise Holt whilst starting regularly has not been without his difficulties with Dundee fans questioning his defending.

Clark was never going to turn down the Rangers offer. Neither would any of the others if they had received it. Unfortunately for him it hasnt really worked out. McCoist bought him and then never used him in the manner he had played for us. McDowall was worse and he wasnt one of McCall's favoured but there were some signs under Warburton that he might find his form again. When Miller was out he had decent spells alongside Waghorn. However Rangers are a different animal these days, Miller is the man in possession and they are bringing new players in for next season where they expect to be up a level. Clark probably isnt one of their highest paid but he does have a contract from the Green overpaying days and he probably earns more than Warburton thinks he is worth. His impending release along with Nicky Law is not a massive surprise (to be clear he is not "without a club").

In his last season with us Nicky Clark grew to be a speedy prolific striker deceptively good in the air. He certainly hasnt benefited from the in/out nature of his time at Rangers but I think there is still a player in there who would benefit from a bit of faith and a regular start. He is probably out of our League now but I would love to see him back at some point.