The Queen of the South thread

It's one game and one game against a non-league side. But I have to say, I was very impressed with the way we played tonight.

We defended from the front right from the off and we didn't give the Star players even 10 seconds on the ball. I stood beside the dugouts in the first half and Skelton was screaming constantly from the side* telling the boys to close down and more importantly, when instructed the boys did it. In time you have to hope it comes naturally to the players. We played some nice football at times and all the young boys gave a good account of themselves. Dykes, Smith and Murray being my personal standouts. But no young player had a poor game IMO.

Obviously we played two teams tonight and the Star boys' fitness levels are far lower than what we'll expect to face throughout the season. But if the boys can buy into Skelton's system I think this season might not be the snoozefest I'm anticipating.

* In a positive manner.

It's one game and one game against a non-league side. But I have to say, I was very impressed with the way we played tonight.

We defended from the front right from the off and we didn't give the Star players even 10 seconds on the ball. I stood beside the dugouts in the first half and Skelton was screaming constantly from the side* telling the boys to close down and more importantly, when instructed the boys did it. In time you have to hope it comes naturally to the players. We played some nice football at times and all the young boys gave a good account of themselves. Dykes, Smith and Murray being my personal standouts. But no young player had a poor game IMO.

Obviously we played two teams tonight and the Star boys' fitness levels are far lower than what we'll expect to face throughout the season. But if the boys can buy into Skelton's system I think this season might not be the snoozefest I'm anticipating.

* In a positive manner.

Definitely looks like we're going to be playing a high pressing game, which I like, where we got all our joy under Johnston. Although the opposition was obviously from lower league, I thought we moved the ball about well in both halfs, like you say I think the young boys done themselves no harm whatsoever tonight, but obviously tougher games lie ahead. Rhys Evans, dean brotherston, Lyndon Dykes and i thought young aiden also caused them lots of bother.

Still 2/3 players short, like to get them in sooner rather than later.

Not even near the level we need to be for a Championship side. I'm not trying to be negative, but thank fcuk Ayr and Dumbarton are part-time.

What was so bad about it? You can only beat what is in front of you and we did that. Very convincingly. Neither one of our 'keepers had a save to make that I can recall. Our defences cruised through the game. Our midfield played some nice football and carved open the Star defence several times. We pressed right from the front and continuously won the ball back. If I had to guess I would say we had at least 60% possession overall. And we did this without playing our best starting 11 either half. If there was one negative it would be that we didn't take all our chances. Had we, then the scoreline would have been close to double figures but take nothing away from Vinnie Parker, he played a blinder tonight.

I genuinely don't know what more you could have asked for tonight. Unless of course you are successfully trolling ;)

Their will tougher tests than last night, but I think most could do a job eventually. I'd still like to see them go out on loan and get valuable experience. Dykes maybe closest due to his height etc showed some really nice touches but should have scored. Really liked look of Evans and brotherston first half they worked well together, brotherston has a lot of potential but tends to turn it on only occasionally but have heard he's been very good in training etc this season so hopefully he's screwed the not. Considering moxon and Murray played out of position they both did okay as well.

Have heard the team spirit at training etc, is second to none, even better than last year. Boys are really up for it and to kick on is what I'm told which is great to hear... Let's hope it happens.

Their will tougher tests than last night, but I think most could do a job eventually. I'd still like to see them go out on loan and get valuable experience. Dykes maybe closest due to his height etc showed some really nice touches but should have scored. Really liked look of Evans and brotherston first half they worked well together, brotherston has a lot of potential but tends to turn it on only occasionally but have heard he's been very good in training etc this season so hopefully he's screwed the not. Considering moxon and Murray played out of position they both did okay as well.

Have heard the team spirit at training etc, is second to none, even better than last year. Boys are really up for it and to kick on is what I'm told which is great to hear... Let's hope it happens.

Dykes scored the 3rd I'm sure? Tend to agree with what your saying though. It's hard to judge the younger players considering the standard of opposition. But Dykes and Murray would be the two I could see pushing hard this season. Moxon was doing well near last season with the 20's so I imagine he'll be hoping to break through this season as well.

Your second paragraph wouldn't surprise me to be true. As I said earlier, when Skelton was firing out instructions for the players to close down the Star players, every player did it and did it without moaning or talking back. I'm maybe reading too much into it but I got a sense that there is a lot of respect there for Skelton.

If they don't put 7 past the Star tonight I'm boycotting next season...

Hope you stand by your word and boycott next season! Personally see queens being bottom 4 next season.

Dykes scored the 3rd I'm sure? Tend to agree with what your saying though. It's hard to judge the younger players considering the standard of opposition. But Dykes and Murray would be the two I could see pushing hard this season. Moxon was doing well near last season with the 20's so I imagine he'll be hoping to break through this season as well.

Your second paragraph wouldn't surprise me to be true. As I said earlier, when Skelton was firing out instructions for the players to close down the Star players, every player did it and did it without moaning or talking back. I'm maybe reading too much into it but I got a sense that there is a lot of respect there for Skelton.

Hilson x2, moxon and smith

Hilson x2, moxon and smith

I thought it was Dykes. But I certainly wouldn't have put money on it. I saw Murray cross the ball but then looked away as I was walking down the banking. I then heard the cheer and saw Dykes standing at the back post. I had to ask someone if it had been knocked in or if Murray had scored directly from the cross. Was it a glancing header by Moxon?

Thinking about it, I watched Dykes after the goal and no one really congratulated him, they went to Murray but obviously Moxon was in amongst the huddle.