The Queen of the South thread

McCluskey is he training with Queens ?.Ex Morton.Looks like Todd is away to Dunfermline.Would have been a good signing but think the fee has put Queens off

McCluskey has been linked to Queens in the past. Perhaps he's on trial with Scott Brown (STJ)..

Its not making me want to run and get a season ticket .The pricing for the cup games is piss poor, £16  to watch Airdrie  etc !! . It is looking pretty dreary with not a lot to get excited about . Surely we could have struck a deal for Todd .

Edited by weeredbook

It does look a bit dreary, you're right.  Last season passed me by somewhat, through work commitments (which may have been a lucky escape for me, by all accounts), but I was looking forward to this season and the opportunity to get to more games.  What I don't quite understand is why all the investment in the infrastructure at Queens since Billy H took over isn't being matched in the playing staff.  I would have thought that a sum equal to that put into the Arena, for instance, would have made a significant difference to the squad's quality, leading to more entertaining football, a better position in the table and hight attendances, therefore more income, better players again, etc,etc.  The first couple of years of BH's chairmanship seemed to be defined by much more ambition than more recently.  

What I don't quite understand is why all the investment in the infrastructure at Queens since Billy H took over isn't being matched in the playing staff.  I would have thought that a sum equal to that put into the Arena, for instance, would have made a significant difference to the squad's quality, leading to more entertaining football, a better position in the table

I've no idea at all how the sum invested in projects like the Arena, compares with that invested directly in the playing staff.

Regardless of how that breaks down though, it appears that you're suggesting that we need to spend much more money overall.

What does that mean then? Are you saying that we have significant reserves of cash that we're choosing currently to simply sit on, or is it that we should go into sizeable debt?

I'm intrigued.

No, not suggesting going down the well-trodden debt path at all, I'm just saying that we've invested a lot in the off-the-field side of things, which I applaud, but not in the team, as far as I can tell. I would have thought that setting up the Arena, the new shop, even up-grading the open terrace, must have cost many thousands of pounds.  BH's firm did the work, IIRC, which is effectively the same as BH putting money into the club, and that's fantastic, but the same amount put into players' wages, let's say £100,000, over a season or two, could significantly raise the quality of player we could attract and push Queens up the pecking order perhaps permanently if gates went up and interest in the club was sparked.  I know it's easy to sit here and suggest that someone else should basically wave goodbye to a hundred grand so that I can watch more entertaining football, but the point of a football club just that?

It's not as if our players are exactly on mega-pay, so any addition to the playing budget is proportionally quite significant, I would have thought.

Maybe I'm missing something, it wouldn't be the first time..

No, not suggesting going down the well-trodden debt path at all, I'm just saying that we've invested a lot in the off-the-field side of things, which I applaud, but not in the team, as far as I can tell. I would have thought that setting up the Arena, the new shop, even up-grading the open terrace, must have cost many thousands of pounds.  BH's firm did the work, IIRC, which is effectively the same as BH putting money into the club, and that's fantastic, but the same amount put into players' wages, let's say £100,000, over a season or two, could significantly raise the quality of player we could attract and push Queens up the pecking order perhaps permanently if gates went up and interest in the club was sparked.  I know it's easy to sit here and suggest that someone else should basically wave goodbye to a hundred grand so that I can watch more entertaining football, but the point of a football club just that?

It's not as if our players are exactly on mega-pay, so any addition to the playing budget is proportionally quite significant, I would have thought.

Maybe I'm missing something, it wouldn't be the first time..

I think the part you're missing is where does the £100K come from?

What you're effectively suggesting is what David Rae tried shortly after the cup final. It didnt work then and theres nothing, really, to suggest it would work now. What other clubs have achieved this, other than Ross County, perhaps who have someone with serious money bank rolling them?

The current plan, seems to be, to invest off the field to increase the non-football income which, in time, increases the footballing budget. It doesnt happen overnight though. This model has served the likes of St Johnston and Hamilton pretty well.

We've signed your former left back Shaun Rutherford. Thoughts?

He never really got a chance at Palmerston with few appearances. Queens signed him from Livingston. Was at Arbroath on a development loan deal for the second half of last season where he got a run of games. Edited by RUSTY1111

We've signed your former left back Shaun Rutherford.  Thoughts?

He played about 2 minutes for our first team, as a late sub at Ibrox. I saw him play a couple of times for the u20's but he turned out more for Livingston the year before and for Arbroath on loan than he ever did for us. You'd be better asking them.

I think the part you're missing is where does the £100K come from?

What you're effectively suggesting is what David Rae tried shortly after the cup final. It didnt work then and theres nothing, really, to suggest it would work now. What other clubs have achieved this, other than Ross County, perhaps who have someone with serious money bank rolling them?

The current plan, seems to be, to invest off the field to increase the non-football income which, in time, increases the footballing budget. It doesnt happen overnight though. This model has served the likes of St Johnston and Hamilton pretty well.

I agree Mr X that what the club are doing are securing the long term future of the club. That is more important in my opinion. I believe that the board are doing a decent job raising the profile of the club for example holding concerts at palmerston, that the off field running of the club is making the club look more professional and will pay for its self and add to the playing budget.

With the playoff system in place the club have a much better chance of promotion but I think that this is only possible for a club like ours with a decent board, successful off field enterprises and a stable squad that doesn't stretch a budget to debt levels.

I would have thought that setting up the Arena, the new shop, even up-grading the open terrace, must have cost many thousands of pounds. BH's firm did the work, IIRC, which is effectively the same as BH putting money into the club, and that's fantastic.

The work wasn't done for free, it came at a significant cost to the club!

Just a note for anybody planning a day out on the train to the Thistle game on 23 July - the train will be a bus between Dumfries and Kilmarnock.

Also applies for the home game against Airdrie on 19 July, although less relevant.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/assets/download_ct/11941_dumfriesshire_eng_jul_16.pdf

Victoria Thomson's doing no doubt.

All i'm really saying is that Queens have so many first-class elements to the club, the chairman, the Arena, the new pitch, the KGV facilities, it's just a bit odd that one of them isn't the actual team!

All i'm really saying is that Queens have so many first-class elements to the club, the chairman, the Arena, the new pitch, the KGV facilities, it's just a bit odd that one of them isn't the actual team!

We haven't seen the team kick a ball this season yet. Let's at least wait until the season begins before passing judgement.