The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, ThomCat said:

Agree that the Raith game should have full focus. Just to play Devil's advocate: 6 points against Raith and Hibs or no points but beat Rangers? : )

At best if we win the 2 games we'll be 4 points clear of Hibs which is next to nothing on the scheme of things whilst if we win a quarter final for this tournament where the last time we were in the semis, Coronation Street hadn't aired yet. If we lose against Hibs or Raith we have 3 opportunities to beat them again and make the points up whereas if we lose to Rangers, will we get an opportunity like this for a while?

Agree that the Raith game should have full focus. Just to play Devil's advocate: 6 points against Raith and Hibs or no points but beat Rangers? : )

6 points for me. Cup win would be nice but 6 points taken off 2 of the top teams in the league at the moment would be huge. It would also mean we would go into the following week top of the league (I think?) And be playing Dumbarton while hibs go to Dundee utd.

Lot of criticism about our crowd numbers atm (which I think is misplaced), going top even for a few weeks would definitely see a rise in numbers.

Fwiw I think we will beat raith, take rangers to extra time but lose and lose to hibs. (Hope I'm wrong).

10 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

No reason we shouldn't take about three times our normal midweek support at Ibrox. Anyone know what the away support was at our Tuesday games there in 2015 and 2012?

18 September 2012 - 1,550
10 March 2015 - 361

And for what it's worth, in the League games in between:
30 Aug 2014 - 817
17 Oct 2015 - 225
26 Mar 2016 - 246

I don't have the playoff crowd from May 2015 to hand but I think it was 900 odds. Unless there's a late surge we look like having an attendance of around half that this time, though circa double what we took for two Saturday league games last season.

Depends if we had the start the st Mirren have had especially last season I would prefer league games for the points. As it is we are second in the league so cup run please

Points in the league, but don't think success in both is out of question. I'd bite your hand off for 4 points from next 2. 6 would be unbelievable, with Dumbarton left to play another tough game even with our start. Although it'd be nice to beat rangers, league is the bread and butter for me, and after our start I want to be in this position for as long as possible.

I really struggle to understand why people would want 6 points in the league over progression to a major semi final. 2008 will stick in the memories of all of us for as long as we live as the absolute pinnacle of our time supporting Queens, surely having another experience like that is much more desirable than 3 points against Hibs and Raith fucking Rovers?

6 points in the league would be nice, although not entirely unexpected.

The semi final of the league cup would bring a euphoric high as it's something that hasn't been achieved since I don't know when.

I really struggle to understand why people would want 6 points in the league over progression to a major semi final. 2008 will stick in the memories of all of us for as long as we live as the absolute pinnacle of our time supporting Queens, surely having another experience like that is much more desirable than 3 points against Hibs and Raith fucking Rovers?

6 points in the league would be nice, although not entirely unexpected.

The semi final of the league cup would bring a euphoric high as it's something that hasn't been achieved since I don't know when.

Maybe some of us are starting to think this season could have that feeling but with the league instead (I know I know). Also it was a hypothetical binary choice. In reality I want both scenarios :-)

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Points in the league, but don't think success in both is out of question. I'd bite your hand off for 4 points from next 2. 6 would be unbelievable, with Dumbarton left to play another tough game even with our start.

And Morton. We haven't played Morton yet.

45 minutes ago, happysouth said:

Maybe some of us are starting to think this season could have that feeling but with the league instead (I know I know). Also it was a hypothetical binary choice. In reality I want both scenarios :-)

Given that hypothetical binary choice though I agree with dhd. In context at this stage in the season I'd take the cup win over the 6 points. If we were two games from the end of the season and two league wins would secure promotion my answer would be different.

37 minutes ago, chapelxnomore said:

Without getting bogged down in original either/ or question. Happily take 3 points, QF victory, followed by 3 further points. Reality may be different, of course , but let's follow managers mantra of the fabled one game at a time.

No, let's get bogged down.

I like this kind of hypothetical crap about doing deals with the devil.

My rule is that the major Cups always really come first, especially this early in the season.