The Queen of the South thread

Hilson doing a great job on left wing just now, can't see him being displaced at the moment

Personally I'd put Dykes right back in if he is fit enough. Probably harsh on Hilson though as I'm basing it purely on Saturday's performance (I've missed the last couple of games so have no other game to judge him on). For me he was our poorest performer at the weekend and I was surprised Anderson was hooked ahead of him. He doesn't warrant a post worth of criticism though but I'd certainly have Dykes ahead of him if possible.

Personally I'd put Dykes right back in if he is fit enough. Probably harsh on Hilson though as I'm basing it purely on Saturday's performance (I've missed the last couple of games so have no other game to judge him on). For me he was our poorest performer at the weekend and I was surprised Anderson was hooked ahead of him. He doesn't warrant a post worth of criticism though but I'd certainly have Dykes ahead of him if possible.

Hilson picked up a few bookings this season and it's been posted on here he not shy from challenging for the ball. Dykes may well get back in cos Hilson will get himself suspended

Quite the weekend for ex Queens players too leaving aside our own result.

Kevin Holt scored for Dundee

Brian Gilmour got the winner for Ayr.

Gary Oliver scored for Morton

Nicky Clark scored for Dunfermline

John Baird scored for Falkirk

Iain Russell scored for Airdrie

Kevin Smith scored for East Fife

Kevin Dzierzawski scored for Peterhead

Fraser Kerr who played a few trial games for our development team last season scored for Stenhousemuir.

And Zander Clark was man of the match for St Johnstone in their win over Hearts

(Havent seen scorers list for League 2 yet so dont know if anyone else at that level)

For some reason I read that to the tune of 'five gold rings' [emoji23]

For the Rangers game I think we will need some pace and energy up top - i would go with :-

Robinson

Hamill Brownlie Dowie Marshall

Anderson Millar Jacobs Hilson

dobbie Dykes

harsh on Lyle but we have our best chance if we go with pace up top to complement the craft of Dobbie.With that line up we can press their back four much harder - if we go with Del and Dobbie I fear that we will simply not cover the ground in Ibrox's wide open spaces. 

I sincerely hope that he goes with this line up but I dont think he will.

The Lyle and Dobbie partnership is absolutely thriving.  Breaking that up would be madness in my opinion.

Like 19QOS19 though, I'd be tempted to bring Dykes back in for Hilson.  I like him and he's a trier, but once again on Saturday I thought he looked a level below everyone else.  His performance was probably best summed up by a move in the first half where he took a delicious touch to spin by the full-back before then scuffing his cross.  I'm probably being a bit unfair as it's a new position for him.  Long term I think our lack of left midfielders could still come back to haunt us.  If we could somehow develop a left-footed clone of Grant Anderson we'd be laughing.  In the meantime I think Dykes is the best we've got.

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Were we not top after 3 games last season?

Were we? Were we not behind Rangers on GD?

Pretty sure we were top the year before in the first month though. Chisholm side I think were the last to be top later than end of August though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Pretty sure we were top the year before in the first month though. Chisholm side I think were the last to be top later than end of August though.

Queens were in 2nd place after games 1 to 3 last season, then in 3rd place after games 4 and 5 but not 1st.

Queens were in 2nd place after games 1 to 3 last season, then in 3rd place after games 4 and 5 but not 1st.

At the start of the previous season Queens were in 2nd place after the first game, then were in top spot after 2nd game, then back to 2nd after 3rd game. Then in 4th for the next 5 games, in 3rd for the next 8 games. Then in 4th & 5th place for the rest of the season.

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We were top after our second and third games last season, but each time Rangers hadn't played yet.

We were top after 2 games the season before.

Regardless of Hibs score this weekend: Very possible to win every game in October and be top for a while : )

Scottish Championship

Dumbarton V Queen of Sth

Sat 1 Oct

15:00

-

Scottish Challenge Cup - Fourth Round

Queen of Sth V Linfield

Sun 9 Oct

13:00

-

Scottish Championship

Queen of Sth V Morton

Sat 15 Oct

-

Scottish Championship

Ayr V Queen of Sth

Sat 22 Oct

-

Scottish Championship

Raith Rovers V Queen of Sth

Sat 29 Oct

17:15

Regardless of Hibs score this weekend: Very possible to win every game in October and be top for a while : )

Scottish Championship

Dumbarton V Queen of Sth

Sat 1 Oct

-

Scottish Challenge Cup - Fourth Round

Queen of Sth V Linfield

Sun 9 Oct

13:00

-

Scottish Championship

Queen of Sth V Morton

Sat 15 Oct

-

Scottish Championship

Ayr V Queen of Sth

Sat 22 Oct

-

Scottish Championship

Raith Rovers V Queen of Sth

Sat 29 Oct

17:15

On paper i agree, but theres no easy games in this league. Wouldnt surprise me if we beat sevco and hibs then lost to Dumbarton and Morton for example. The gaffer seems to take each game as they come though, whilst us punters dream. I like Skeltons approach, the players buy in to how he works, and its such a refreshing change to last season!

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

For the Rangers game I think we will need some pace and energy up top - i would go with :-

Robinson

Hamill Brownlie Dowie Marshall

Anderson Millar Jacobs Hilson

dobbie Dykes

harsh on Lyle but we have our best chance if we go with pace up top to complement the craft of Dobbie.With that line up we can press their back four much harder - if we go with Del and Dobbie I fear that we will simply not cover the ground in Ibrox's wide open spaces. 

I sincerely hope that he goes with this line up but I dont think he will.

Bit of an urban myth that the Ibrox pitch is massive. Dimensions are 115 x 74 yards compared with Palmerston at 112 x 73 yards and Hampden 115 x 75 yards. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1 hour ago, RUSTY1111 said:

Fair enough

2 hours ago, Flash said:

We were top after our second and third games last season, but each time Rangers hadn't played yet.

We were top after 2 games the season before.

Ah right, so top but Rangers had games in hand. I just recall Rangers starting last season like a train and clocking up big goal difference wins. I thought we were 2nd behind them when they came to Palmerston.

I knew we had briefly topped the table the year before after Hearts dropped an early draw at Dumbarton and we won our first three. I'd need to check exactly but I'm sure Chisholm's last season saw us top or close to it somewhere near the halfway point in the season (December / January) though it was also maybe complicated by unequal games played.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ah right, so top but Rangers had games in hand. I just recall Rangers starting last season like a train and clocking up big goal difference wins. I thought we were 2nd behind them when they came to Palmerston.

I knew we had briefly topped the table the year before after Hearts dropped an early draw at Dumbarton and we won our first three. I'd need to check exactly but I'm sure Chisholm's last season saw us top or close to it somewhere near the halfway point in the season (December / January) though it was also maybe complicated by unequal games played.

Don't think we were top the year hearts were in the league unless was maybe the very  early weeks on Gd. 

Hearts started like a train beating Rangers, Hibs and Falkirk early doors. We lost 4-2 at ibrox in August which I think was Jim Mcintyres last game before departing ? 

Edited by Broony88

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Quite the weekend for ex Queens players too leaving aside our own result.

Kevin Holt scored for Dundee

Brian Gilmour got the winner for Ayr.

Gary Oliver scored for Morton

Nicky Clark scored for Dunfermline

John Baird scored for Falkirk

Iain Russell scored for Airdrie

Kevin Smith scored for East Fife

Kevin Dzierzawski scored for Peterhead

Fraser Kerr who played a few trial games for our development team last season scored for Stenhousemuir.

And Zander Clark was man of the match for St Johnstone in their win over Hearts

(Havent seen scorers list for League 2 yet so dont know if anyone else at that level)

Seen on twitter today St Johnstone's record when they play Zander Clark of 8 games played, 8 wins, For 18, Against  4 with one of goals conceded being a penalty.