The Queen of the South thread

Millar - I think he has the raw materials but sometimes chooses not to show them. Even when he's playing well (or at least competently) he seems not to have too much influence on the game because he wont use the ball positively. The number of times against Albion that the ball ended up back at the keeper to punt when a decent ball from the halfway could have sent Lyle or Dobbie through. Punt

Pickard - my main criticism of him is the final ball or shot. ie there usually isn't one. He seems to get himself into good positions then looks for an out instead of taking the final step and shooting. Maybe a lack of confidence. I think sort of player who could have a "Nicky Clark" season for us, maybe in a year or two. Keep.

Higgins - when he wasnt playing I really thought we were missing him but it seems not. I think hes a lower division centre back not a Championship centre or full back. And there's not much evidence of his influence as a captain on the park at the minute. With reservations - Punt.

Russell - The sort of guy who can turn a game on its head. Infuriating at times but good value. Never anonymous. We cant do without his goals. Keep.  (what? ...we did what?..... Oh f**k!)

I would take mark millar back in a heartbeat ...one of my favourite players to wear the navy blue...great free kick on him...maybe do a walk out thing  ala Baird/Kerr ?

I don't know if he's ever taken a free kick for us. His attitude is stinking though as he's showed in glimpses that he's capable.

2 hours ago, distresseduke said:

I would take mark millar back in a heartbeat ...one of my favourite players to wear the navy blue...great free kick on him...maybe do a walk out thing  ala Baird/Kerr ?

Millar can and has demonstrated in the past he can take a good free kick - not Often but he has. Unfortunately he is well down pecking orders for free kicks at the moment with Dobbie taking them and I suspect if he doesn't thy will fall to Hamill.

I'd rather see Millar or Hamill take corner kicks and have Dobbie lurking someway around the box

13 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Millar can and has demonstrated in the past he can take a good free kick - not Often but he has. Unfortunately he is well down pecking orders for free kicks at the moment with Dobbie taking them and I suspect if he doesn't thy will fall to Hamill.

I'd rather see Millar or Hamill take corner kicks and have Dobbie lurking someway around the box

Dobbie and Lyle have both scored direct free kicks this season and appear to have first dibs on anything in shooting range with Millar and Hamill taking the ones to deliver a ball into the box.

I have been saying for weeks that someone else, preferably Hamill or Millar, should be taking the corners. To be fair Hamill did score from Dobbie's corner on Tuesday but I would prefer Dobs to be in or around the box at set pieces.

Dobbie and Lyle have both scored direct free kicks this season and appear to have first dibs on anything in shooting range with Millar and Hamill taking the ones to deliver a ball into the box.

I have been saying for weeks that someone else, preferably Hamill or Millar, should be taking the corners. To be fair Hamill did score from Dobbie's corner on Tuesday but I would prefer Dobs to be in or around the box at set pieces.

This. I find it utterly ridiculous our biggest threat takes the corners. I could see the point if Dobbie had Beckamesque deliveries but he doesn't.

I'd much prefer Millar to swing them in.

I don't mind Dobbie taking them.

His delivery is decent most of the time.  He's also not the type who's going to attack a cross in the air and score that way.  I get the logic that says If he's around the box, he can pick up scraps, but he's not had much joy doing that of late, and I'd sooner rely on him to put in a good ball from the corner.

6 minutes ago, Dynamo 2013 said:

Easter Road Millar hit right hand post from 30 yards emoji53.png

Yeah he has taken a few in the last few years. When he first arrived he hit most of them but he is down the pecking order these days. Neither Dobbie or Hamill played at Easter Road and that one was too far out for Lyle who tends to curl them rather than hit with power.

Agree with SD. Imo, Dobbie shouldn't take corners. I would ask him to stand right in front of the keeper in order to try to take advantage any time the ball drops into the six yard box. 

It is hard to imagine such a promising and entertaining start to the season degenerating in to such a thoroughly depressing state of affairs.

We looked so much better than Albion and Dumbarton - in terms of footballing ability we were streets ahead of both. To lose both games in these circumstances was a very sad reflection on how low this team has sunk in recent weeks.

On the positive we try and play football the right way but teams seem to find it easy to mug us week after week. In the last few weeks you can add Raith and Ayr to Dumbarton/Albion and we start to see a picture emerging. It is almost breathtaking to see how easily the players seem to let such mediocre teams beat us on a meagre ration of about 2/3 half chances a game. If we were being cut open continually in open play and struggling to retain possession it would be a different story.

It is sad to see a good passing team becoming so gutless and rudderless. Hopefully the new Manager will not be fooled into thinking that he is inheriting a great squad that is simply unlucky week after week because this malaise is becoming a deep rooted problem.

Notwithstanding the disappointing loss of a promising Manager the players are really letting themselves down as a group and the Albion loss was simply soul destroying.

9th place now looks a worry but in all honesty if we can't finish above that Dumbarton team over the course of a season then we deserve all that we get.

Having watched the goals conceded against Albion (more so the second) and Dumbarton and been at the Raith game I'm starting to think Naysmith is a great appointment. Or to put it simplistically, I'm glad our manager is a former defender and not a former striker.

In the games mentioned above, had we done the basics in defending we wouldn't have lost the game. There's obviously a big fear that we're toothless just now but at least we're able to compete. The goals will surely come back. Conceding with every shot the opposition has is a far bigger concern for me just now. Hopefully Naysmith gets the defence sorted pronto.