The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

So, after watching the United '87 thing last night:

which Unied player was Sacha De Stelle; and

How many United players have been through Justine?

And more cryptically, what relevance does any of it have to the Queen of the South thread?

The leagues starting to even up again after a few years with Big teams running away with it
Leagues going to be so close next year with a lot of teams the same quality,Almost every team have genuine belief they could get promoted 
But ultimately it's going to be lowest crowds from past years Losing Hibs and Dundee united(potentially) for Hamilton and Inverness and even teams going down,Losing Ayr and Raith for Brechin and Livi 

Agree.

League will become winnable for some of the more progressive traditional FT Champ clubs like Falkirk, St Mirren, Dunfermline and say Morton. I would like to add Queens to that list but it will take 4/5 quality signings to make that a possibility.

A replication of our 2014/15 squad would give us an outside chance of mounting a title challenge in this company and we have the added advantage of Dobbie in our ranks. I have to admit that I have been singularly unimpressed with GN so far but will be delighted if he successfully revamps the squad and makes us a competitive force at the top end of the table.

Worryingly on the subject of home crowds we may well not breach the 2000 mark at any home match other than perhaps St Mirren if they happen to be challenging.

Agree.

League will become winnable for some of the more progressive traditional FT Champ clubs like Falkirk, St Mirren, Dunfermline and say Morton. I would like to add Queens to that list but it will take 4/5 quality signings to make that a possibility.
The last sentence is the key to the season .

It's obviously difficult to call just now as we won't know what players are staying at certain clubs (and what clubs are actually in the league).

But I think it's going to be a case of who is the least worst next season. I think it could be a tight league from top to bottom. Brechin will be my stick on for bottom spot but I wouldn't want to call 9th. I don't think any side will be clear favourites next season which is definitely a good thing. I've found myself bored with the last couple of seasons purely down to knowing who will be winning the title before a ball is even kicked.

If we recruited well this summer then I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest we have as good a chance as anyone at being up the top end of the table. My problem is that I don't trust the guy in charge of recruitment and fully expect us to be nearer the bottom half. Either way, next season should surely be the most exciting on we've had in a few seasons.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

If we recruited well this summer then I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest we have as good a chance as anyone at being up the top end of the table. My problem is that I don't trust the guy in charge of recruitment and fully expect us to be nearer the bottom half. Either way, next season should surely be the most exciting on we've had in a few seasons.

Why? Mercer? He certainly looks like a failure. For me Rankin looks like a good addition as an anchor in the middle if he can be combined with a fit Tapping or another ball player. 

Remember the players Connolly brought in during his first season. I think the manager has done well to crop a lot of players from the club whose time was up and hopefully he can get in some decent replacements (certainly better than what we brought in last summer).

Why? Mercer? He certainly looks like a failure. For me Rankin looks like a good addition as an anchor in the middle if he can be combined with a fit Tapping or another ball player. 
Remember the players Connolly brought in during his first season. I think the manager has done well to crop a lot of players from the club whose time was up and hopefully he can get in some decent replacements (certainly better than what we brought in last summer).

Mercer was a poor signing and an unnecessary one as was McManus (remember him?). Rankin has been an improvement on Millar but that's not exactly a spectacular achievement. I was happy with the signing of Rankin and have always liked him as a player but he has had more poor games than good for us. Hopefully a combination of Tapping and Rankin works next season.

He brought Mercer in to replace an able Hamill. Then realised his signing was a dud and therefore moved our best CM of the season into RB where is isn't half as good as his natural position. Our second best CM of the season is then moved out wide.

I've no issue with the players he got rid of but I'm concerned he will be unable to replace them. Whoever he gets in a CB is going to be arguably our most important signing of the season so I genuinely hope it's a solid addition. If he gets that wrong then we are in for a very long hard season. Our defence was woeful last season in general yet the bulk of it is still there. As an ex international quality defender I really expect us to be a lot more solid at the back next season.

I find it incredible that Mercer is being written off already. No-one remember the early performances of Bob Harris or Kevin Holt?

Apart from being sent off in the game I actually liked Harris instantly. I can't remember early days Holt though.

I think Mercer needs loaned out next season. He's not up to it just now and more games in this division being shown up is surely only going to have a negative effect on the guy. He's still young so I'm all for seeing what becomes of him but if he is to be our starting RB next season then I'll be extremely concerned.

McManus was brought in to have a look at him, with a view to this season. Don't think that signing should be judged as he never got much a look in. No skin of our nose

Why shouldn't it be judged? He brought a player in for a position we had covered and covered by the guy who would have likely got POTY if it wasn't for Dobbie. The judgement of that signing is why did he think that area if the park needed strengthening? And why did he think the player in that position should be moved to RB. If he couldn't see how well Jacobs was doing in there it seriously concerns me.

But we also had to fill in the right back position, which Jacobs was our best option at the time. At end of day McManus played once so it was hardly the bloody reason Jacobs ended up at right back. I agree Jacobs isn't a right back but he was our best option, also think Jacobs and rankin shouldn't play together as there to similar

Why shouldn't it be judged? He brought a player in for a position we had covered and covered by the guy who would have likely got POTY if it wasn't for Dobbie. The judgement of that signing is why did he think that area if the park needed strengthening? And why did he think the player in that position should be moved to RB. If he couldn't see how well Jacobs was doing in there it seriously concerns me.

To be fair I think central midfield definitely needs strengthening. McManus may well not be the answer but in the game he did play against Dumbarton he actually passed the ball really well - probably the best range of passing from any of our midfielders this season. Unfortunately it coincided with one of our worst home results of the season and he didn't reappear.

For me Rankine is not the answer and while Jacobs is a real battler his passing is limited. If he is to be a starter we will need a genuine playmaker alongside him or we will see another prolonged instalment of hoofball.

But we also had to fill in the right back position, which Jacobs was our best option at the time. At end of day McManus played once so it was hardly the bloody reason Jacobs ended up at right back. I agree Jacobs isn't a right back but he was our best option, also think Jacobs and rankin shouldn't play together as there to similar

We didn't need cover for RB as we had two RB's in Hamill and Mercer.

So Naysmith brings Mercer in to play RB then chooses to play our best CM there ahead of him. Rather than sign another DM he should have (should be) been looking at a RB instead.

FWIW my argument isn't focussed on slating Mercer or McManus it's questioning Naysmith's decisions.

If Tapping stays fit then Jacobs and Tapping is comfortably our next midfield pairing. Rankin should be a bench warmer, though it's clear that GN views him as a starter. Ideally we'll get Thomson back again, but given he was punted out left quite often over the last few months, I'm not sure we'd use him correctly.