The Queen of the South thread

26 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

In my mind we freed three excellent players - Hilson, Dowie and Higgy. I can just about get the Dowie release - the other two don't make any sense especially when you see the calibre of the replacements being mooted.

Stirling scored after 3 minutes yesterday.

Its been said before but the central defence was roundly criticised last season, its hardly a surprise to see two of the three released, one of whom has gone part time, the other dropped a division.

Stirling scored after 3 minutes yesterday.

Its been said before but the central defence was roundly criticised last season, its hardly a surprise to see two of the three released, one of whom has gone part time, the other dropped a division.

That's fine releasing the central defence provided we replace them with better players.

A few of the goals conceded last season were down to the clown we had between the sticks and he has now been replaced. I think we may live to regret letting both experienced CB's go. Time will tell.

Naysmith has said he's looking for versatile players

Hilson can play on the wing or as a striker and Higgins can play anywhere along the back line surely the type of players he needs 

Still don't understand them decisions and I feel they will come back to haunt us when we get injuries and suspensions

2 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

That's fine releasing the central defence provided we replace them with better players.

A few of the goals conceded last season were down to the clown we had between the sticks and he has now been replaced. I think we may live to regret letting both experienced CB's go. Time will tell.

Well, obviously. But you cant hold onto players until you bring someone else in. You have to make the decision that they're not good enough and let them go - a decision many fans had made at Christmas, yet now is somehow seen as a mistake. As I said, neither have been picked up by other full time Championship clubs.

Yet, we've signed a replacement who was Dunfermlines captain and another who was playing at a higher level.

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Naysmith has said he's looking for versatile players

Hilson can play on the wing or as a striker and Higgins can play anywhere along the back line surely the type of players he needs 

Still don't understand them decisions and I feel they will come back to haunt us when we get injuries and suspensions

Hes already signed two defenders who can play in the middle or at full back.

Nobody thinks Hilson's release was based on ability though do they? He's a good player. He's been released because of his injury record. So even if he scored all 9 against Nairn it's irrelevant really.

Personally I feel that in the case of Higgy he was a model professional, club captain for several years,a big part of a very successful period and a player whom you could rely on to dig deep and get the job done.He also played really well in season run in.None of these factors seemed to contribute to end decision.

Playing devils advocate Callum Tapping was retained having hardly featured in two years at Palmerston and been on the sidelines with previous clubs.Hilson has had his injury setbacks but nothing on scale of Callum. I sincerely hope that Tapping is a success because the guy unquestionably deserves some luck but the rationale behind these decisions is quite hard to fathom.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Personally I feel that in the case of Higgy he was a model professional, club captain for several years,a big part of a very successful period and a player whom you could rely on to dig deep and get the job done.He also played really well in season run in.None of these factors seemed to contribute to end decision.

Playing devils advocate Callum Tapping was retained having hardly featured in two years at Palmerston and been on the sidelines with previous clubs.Hilson has had his injury setbacks but nothing on scale of Callum. I sincerely hope that Tapping is a success because the guy unquestionably deserves some luck but the rationale behind these decisions is quite hard to fathom.

Well said

There's no consistency in the managers decisions, barring Lyle he's got shot of anyone with any history with the club.

Anderson,Dowie,Hamil ,Atkinson Robinson,Higgins,

Basically anyone with experience and an opinion.

It should be an interesting season if nothing else.

Not sure about his player choice or  His man management skills, only time will tell.

3 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Nobody thinks Hilson's release was based on ability though do they? He's a good player. He's been released because of his injury record.

Yet his replacement has been injured all season? Carmichael is just as likely as Hilson to get injured,Hilson Injury wasn't reaccuring it was a different foot both time

3 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Nobody thinks Hilson's release was based on ability though do they? He's a good player. He's been released because of his injury record. So even if he scored all 9 against Nairn it's irrelevant really.

This. Its no coincidence that saintees have only given him 6 months

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Its not as simple as that though is it? Without knowing the exact nature of the injuries or how their rehabs went how can you say one is a bigger gamble than the other?

24 minutes ago, Besty said:

Well said

There's no consistency in the managers decisions, barring Lyle he's got shot of anyone with any history with the club.

Anderson,Dowie,Hamil ,Atkinson Robinson,Higgins,

Basically anyone with experience and an opinion.

It should be an interesting season if nothing else.

Not sure about his player choice or  His man management skills, only time will tell.

Barring Lyle? And Dobbie and Carmichael.

If Atkinson wasnt going to play then his wages are better spent elsewhere and hes better off moving for the sake of his career. Three of the four signings have plenty of experience at this level.

Much like Dowie and Higgins, looking at where a player ends up after leaving gives a reasonable indication of whether or not the decision to let them go was right. All but Dowie have dropped at least one level and it remains to be seen if Robinson will even pick up a club this summer.

16 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Yet his replacement has been injured all season? Carmichael is just as likely as Hilson to get injured,Hilson Injury wasn't reaccuring it was a different foot both time

Surely Hilsons replacement is Stirling? When was the last time you saw a club at this level offer a 6 month deal in the summer?

Is McFadden likely to feature as trialist again against annan?

Press reporting McFadden will play against Annan but McLean looking for a club elsewhere. Take it from that Gary still assessing Faddy but didn't fancy McLean. Maybe better options available.

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

This. Its no coincidence that saintees have only given him 6 months

Its not as simple as that though is it? Without knowing the exact nature of the injuries or how their rehabs went how can you say one is a bigger gamble than the other?

Barring Lyle? And Dobbie and Carmichael.

If Atkinson wasnt going to play then his wages are better spent elsewhere and hes better off moving for the sake of his career. Three of the four signings have plenty of experience at this level.

Much like Dowie and Higgins, looking at where a player ends up after leaving gives a reasonable indication of whether or not the decision to let them go was right. All but Dowie have dropped at least one level and it remains to be seen if Robinson will even pick up a club this summer.

Surely Hilsons replacement is Stirling? When was the last time you saw a club at this level offer a 6 month deal in the summer?

I don't think you can put Dobbie into the equation.  Carmichael will be playing for buttons and will be a bit part player .so I wasn't far away

Naysmith's bringing in his "yes men" 

Double agent Rankin will never see the season out as captain. he flatters to deceive.

Can't see Robinson wanting a club , paid holidays take some beating .maybe the next window  If he gets bored I suppose see if the gaffers still around.

Edited by Besty

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

We brought Darren Barr in on an initial 6 month deal in June 2015 - basically to act as insurance against his pretty horrific injury record. I'd imagine the Hilson deal might be similar given how injured he was at Queens.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

We brought Darren Barr in on an initial 6 month deal in June 2015 - basically to act as insurance against his pretty horrific injury record. I'd imagine the Hilson deal might be similar given how injured he was at Queens.

I'm sure 6 months suits both parties. Puts Dale in the shop window and the club get as good luck at him the see how he hits in .

I liked him when he played the whole team looked more attacking.

26 minutes ago, Besty said:

I don't think you can put Dobbie into the equation.  Carmichael will be playing for buttons and will be a bit part player .so I wasn't far away

Naysmith's bringing in his "yes men" 

Double agent Rankin will never see the season out as captain. he flatters to deceive.

Can't see Robinson wanting a club , paid holidays take some beating .maybe the next window  If he gets bored I suppose see if the gaffers still around.

Dobbie doesnt have a history with the club? :lol:

I think we're done