The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Whilst it is nice to win, even for just the confidence and morale aspect, it really is all about fitness and trying things out at this stage. The main point for me is calling these games Pre-season friendlies, presumably charging admission,  when they are merely glorified training games when countless substitutions can be made.  I suppose it's always good for fans to get a look at new players but I would rather we played two or three games like this behind closed doors then, when the Manager has a better idea of his preferred starting 11, we have a couple of proper friendlies which would give fans a better indication of what to expect in the season ahead. I suppose the counter argument is that the season starts earlier, games are harder to fit in and it's more of a squad game now, but from a fans point of view I don't see much to encourage me to go to games like this. (Apart from a day out in lovely Cowdenbeath) 

That's true but Its The same for both teams ,so you would expect the stronger squad to come  out on top.

Conceding 3 goals is never good no matter who you are playing  against.

Let's see we hat happened next game 

From what I've heard, it was alright until the subs and it totally unbalanced us. Skyline will probably give us his take on things when he's back down the road. I'll reserve judgement till Annan on Tuesday. But i remember having excellent pre season results, and have pish seasons, results ultimately don't matter but it's good confidence builder

Guest Flash

Good pre-season results followed by a pish season aren't really relevant here. What we need are examples of pish pre-season results followed by a good season. Have we had a lot of those?

2-1. Cameron Muirhead
Another 4 subs now. Leighfield Akubuine Bell & Carmichael for Martin Tapping Murray and Stirling.

At this point I assume our 11 was:-

Leighfield

Mercer
Fordyce
Trialist
Marshall

Akubuine*
Bell
Rankin
Carmichael

Lyle
McFadden

If I saw that as a starting 11 I really wouldn't be too confident of a result so I'm not in panic mode after the loss. 3/4 were significantly weaker than those they replaced. The biggest worry is if we pick up a couple if serious injuries next season our replacements aren't good enough. We'll need to see who the new signings are before we start worrying :lol:

* Not sure where he plays tbh.

29 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Don't panic, don't panic, ok let's panic, that's not a great result.

No need to panic , the gaffer will have a perfect explanation to why we didn't (need to ) win .

He already put excuses in place in his pre season summary.

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Leighfield

Mercer
Fordyce
Trialist
Marshall

Akubuine*
Bell
Rankin
Carmichael

Lyle
McFadden

If I saw that as a starting 11 I really wouldn't be too confident of a result so I'm not in panic mode after the loss. 3/4 were significantly weaker than those they replaced. The biggest worry is if we pick up a couple if serious injuries next season our replacements aren't good enough. We'll need to see who the new signings are before we start worrying :lol:

My only slight worry is that we are still conceding goals  .The back 4 that finished the game could be our 1st choice back 4 

.Other news Mark Millar had signed for Forfar  and Inverness will not be signing Gavin Gunning

I'm not worrying, it's not good but it's preseason and our team was rather young, leighfield in goals who's not totally convincing and won't be our number 1. From what I've been told it was going alright until the changes then we were totally disjointed.

Not sure about our trialists today..Is McLean the answer to our defensive problem.McFadden is he still good enough for us now  it does not matter what his history is.With our budget being so tight can we risk signing him with the risk of him picking up injury's in our 4G pitch.We really need a  forward that has pace.

Not sure about our trialists today..Is McLean the answer to our defensive problem.McFadden is he still good enough for us now  it does not matter what his history is.With our budget being so tight can we risk signing him with the risk of him picking up injury's in our 4G pitch.We really need a  forward that has pace.

Were you there to view them? I don't think McFadden is answer but I'd take McLean but I wasn't there today so couldn't mention how they got on... just previous viewing

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Leighfield

Mercer
Fordyce
Trialist
Marshall

Akubuine*
Bell
Rankin
Carmichael

Lyle
McFadden

Akubuine is a central midfielder. He was in the middle with Rankin. Bell was wide right. Otherwise you are spot on.

55 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

My only slight worry is that we are still conceding goals  .The back 4 that finished the game could be our 1st choice back 4

It could be but it wouldn't have Leighfield behind them and I doubt Rooney will start at centre back if the other two are fit. He's more likely to be at right back with Brownlie playing in the middle based on the five we have at the moment.

2 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

From what I've heard, it was alright until the subs and it totally unbalanced us. Skyline will probably give us his take on things when he's back down the road. I'll reserve judgement till Annan on Tuesday. But i remember having excellent pre season results, and have pish seasons, results ultimately don't matter but it's good confidence builder

Ach I don't think you can take a massive amount out of it we didn't already know. The starting eleven wasn't bad but Brownlie and Jacobs were missing from the squad, Rooney and Carmichael weren't fit enough to start and Ross Fergusson was unavailable. I imagine at least three of those start if it's a competitive game. Alan Martin was good to the extent he was actually tested when on. Rooney only got 15 minutes at the end but looked like he could be good at least coming forward with the ball. Stirling did well and linked with Dobbie well. Murray did fine. Tapping and Rankin played well in the middle. McLean looked like a guy who hasn't played much football recently but hopefully that's just sharpness he's lacking. Second half we clearly weakened the side and we know the youngsters off the bench generally aren't going to be better than what they replace. McFadden looked a little off the pace too but clearly has great touch. Lyle didn't really get into it but Carmichael made a nuisance of himself. We had two teenagers in the middle of the park with Rankin.

To be fair there were probably some young boys in the Cowdenbeath side too. We should have been 3 up just before they pulled the first one back. Their second was a breakaway ball over the top when we were caught out losing possession over-committed up the park. The third was an unmarked header at a set piece though which isn't good. We saw too much of that last season. We did only have one centre half on the pitch at the time though.

Our first eleven will be decent provided the back four gel but we've no depth, particularly defensively with both Brownlie and Jacobs missing.