The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

I don't know who makes the decisions re the design of our kit but someone needs to have a word with them, especially about the away kit. I personally have always  considered yellow to be our away colour and agree it would also have been the sensible choice from the POV of colour clashes. The grey thing is horrible imho. Ok as a casual top for those who like that sort of thing but never a football top. At least it isn't red though. 

We cant have a yellow one ever year though

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not daft on the current away kit, but I don't mind it as much as plenty do.

If the reality is that we're only going to wear it against one side, while having to tart up training tops against two or three others though, then it's been a pretty bonkers choice.

Is it? We could wear it in most away games just havent so far. 

Its almost as if the white top was chosen on purpose

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

We cant have a yellow one ever year though

Is it? We could wear it in most away games just havent so far. 

Its almost as if the white top was chosen on purpose

There's no need to though, if there's no clash with our blue.

SD already outlined the clubs we might have to change to play, but where the grey might not satisfy the ref.  It seems daft to pick an away top where that might often be the case.

1 hour ago, louisxiv said:

I don't know who makes the decisions re the design of our kit but someone needs to have a word with them, especially about the away kit. I personally have always  considered yellow to be our away colour and agree it would also have been the sensible choice from the POV of colour clashes. The grey thing is horrible imho. Ok as a casual top for those who like that sort of thing but never a football top. At least it isn't red though. 

What you consider to be "our away colour" probably depends on your age. We never used yellow before the early 90's and then had a spell of using it more often than not for about a decade. Thereafter we've moved around between yellow, red, white, black, and now grey. Anyone older than say 50 will tell you "our away colour" is traditionally white. However, we can't have white, or at least we can but we need a 3rd kit. Most clubs these days have three kits. Even Annan have three kits. I don't see the big deal. We opted to use a white training kit this year and number and sponsor up a set to use as a cheap third kit when needed. It will probably only be used against Falkirk though Livingston's surprising decision to switch to an all black home kit instead of amber means we might need it against them too (although we may just wear blue if the referee is comfortable with the contrast).

Using yellow might well mean we didn't need a third kit domestically (I don't think anyone in the SPFL is using a yellow / blue combination?) but it's worth bearing in mind we don't know for sure what other clubs are going to do with their kits at the point we make the selections (we don't even necessarily know what division we'll be in or what other teams will be in it). We also have the added complication of the Irn Bru Cup now and the inclusion of non League clubs in the Scottish Cup & Betfred Cup which means strips we've never come across before appear. All in all I think a 3rd kit at our level is now fairly inevitable.

The red away kits have been our best away kit sellers in the club shop, like it or not. Personally my favourites were the black one and the current grey one (but no, I didn't choose it).

I think it would be pretty difficult to pick an away top that would be suitable against every opposition
I could be wrong but I doubt we'd be able to wear the white one against Morton or St Mirren

Should be a more traditional yellow away kit. This year's effort is a complete monstrosity no matter how much SD try's to defend it.

That would suggest that the kit chosen as our away one, regardless of aesthetics, was not the wisest choice, if it can't be worn on many of the occasions when a change is required.

Who is actually entrusted with choosing the strips?!
The away kit should be yellow and blue.......it's not that difficult surely!

58 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

Why not? 

It would be a bit boring really and I doubt the club would be able to sell many each year, even though they might be a different design.

Varying the away tops is pretty clearly a commercial decision designed to sell as many tops as possible.

21 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I commented during the game that the most remarkable thing about today for me is that the best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt scored a hat trick and still didnt feature in my top three for Man of the Match! I probably give it to Lyndon actually but Jacobs was outstanding too, Rankin had a terrific game and Tappy had maybe his best hour in a Queens shirt. And the centre backs strolled it again.

Trying to pick a player of July/August. After the poor start in the home cup ties a number of real contenders for player of the month. The back '5' defenders keeping clean sheets, Martin at the back who's not had a lot to do. The sitting midfielders of Jacobs and Rankin allowing our more creative players to attack Carmichael. Although Kane has not scored I think he leads the line well and occupiers the opposition back four allowing more space and time for Dykes and Dobbie and Lyle.

My pick Jacobs

We have all become accustomed to the Championship league being so tough in recent years that a play off place is the best we can realistically hope for. I honestly think it is there to be won this year. DUFC are most people's favourites but they are a pale shadow of a proper Dundee United side of yesteryear and are not certain to dominate proceedings. They will compete for it but I would be surprised if they run away with it. St Mirren are a threat but are Dunfermline any better than us? Falkirk can still make play offs but I can't see them winning It. Inverness are contenders but they have lost a lot of players and their squad is Championship standard and not Premier standard.Morton have lost their loan quality from last year and it would surprise me if they became contenders not that it can be ruled out.

Livvy are solid and may do well but the squad isn't strong enough. The PT teams have a mountain to climb.

With the St J loan recruits we now have a pretty decent squad and with the new attacking outlook and the Dobbie factor with a bit of belief we should be capable of "giving it a go".

I fully appreciate the financial constraints but if ever there was a time to recruit a quality central midfielder now is the time. We have four central strikers who will be the envy of many competitors, two potentially decent wide players in Stirling and Danny and a decent defence and a good keeper.

We have battlers in midfield and I think one more quality addition would make such a difference.

It is of course early days but you can say the same for the likes of St Mirren and Dunfermline - their players are in unchartered territory as well in recent times.

One more quality signing would really signify our intent - this may of course be a false dawn but if we keep attacking with a positive outlook when you compare our squad quality it is extremely competitive with 8/9 of the other teams.

We will not have Dobbie indefinitely - can we mount a challenge that is the question?

I've always thought of our away colour as white. The away tops I can first remember were:-
(The gorgeous) Open University Think, Say No To Drugs
Glass and Glazing

I know Galloway Frozen Foods was yellow but that was before my time but yellow was a surprise to me when it first came out in my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've always thought of our away colour as white. The away tops I can first remember were:-
Glass and Glazing

Did we have a White Open University Home top?

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Glass and Glazing

I know Galloway Frozen Foods was yellow but that was before my time but yellow was a surprise to me when it first came out in my lifetime.

White with blue shorts when I was a kid in the Bukta days.  You got to see it a lot because back then, it was the home club that changed.  Of course, back then the point of a change strip was to avoid a clash, not some bloody stupid 'commercial opportunity'. 

When that kit with the weird sponsor, Barralan or something came in, we stuck with white, but had black shorts.

White it was until the yellow 'Galloway Frozen Foods' one.  As with most clubs, we've fannied around with various colours since.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Yes.
The same kit had 'Fiat' on it the previous season.  Our change strip at that time had yellow and dark blue stripes.

Wasn't that the away top? I was mascot in 96/97 and my top was a blue Open University one. I had the white one as well and assumed it was the away top unless it was the previous season's home top?

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wasn't that the away top? I was mascot in 96/97 and my top was a blue Open University one. I had the white one as well and assumed it was the away top unless it was the previous season's home top?

Open University sponsored us for more than one season, so were still in place when we reverted back to blue, with that nice all blue Le Coq Sportif one.  We wore that to the Challenge Cup final at Motherwell, although by then we might have been onto the 'Think, say no to drugs' sponsor.  I can't think what the away kit was like at that time actually.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Open University sponsored us for more than one season, so were still in place when we reverted back to blue, with that nice all blue Le Coq Sportif one.  We wore that to the Challenge Cup final at Motherwell, although by then we might have been onto the 'Think, say no to drugs' sponsor.  I can't think what the away kit was like at that time actually.

Yeah the Le Coq Sportif was the one I had. Last game of '97.