The Queen of the South thread

Apart from mercer you can't argue with his signings since he came in was saying this just the other week and he's got our defence looking really quite good.
What a bloody fabulous result today magnificent

We're gony win the league

But seriously we've beat Brechin,Dumbarton which will more than likely be bottom two and Falkirk who are playing terrible right now.

Good test next league games v Livi,Morton,St mirren,Inverness and Dunfermline.If we are still up there after that run then ill start getting carried away and go as far as saying we could stop Celtic getting ten in a row.

I haven't saw Falkirk so this could of course be mental but I still expect them to be near the playoffs. We've had a very good start to the league campaign but nothing to get carried away with. Anything less than 6 points at home to Brechin and Dumbarton respectively would have been poor. I only expected a point from the Utd and Falkirk games so we're 2 points ahead of where I thought we'd be which is obviously great news. It doesn't make me feel anymore confident overall at this stage though. After we've played everyone it'll give us a better idea of how we'll do this season I reckon.

I certainly didn't expect that today, but we do need to put all our results so far in context.  

We should have been looking to beat the part time sides at home.  It's obviously good that we did it, but it would have been disappointing otherwise.  Losing narrowly at Tannadice was no disaster, but we should have done better against ten men.

A hefty win at Falkirk is clearly terrific, but again it's probably needing some context.  Going by their fans' comments even prior to today, that's a club in a bit of a tailspin.  Again, I'd have predicted that ours might just be the club to turn them round, so it's great that we weren't.

Certain circumstances have thus far been kind to us though.

11 minutes ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Dobbie got the hat trick but my man of match was Tapping. Thought he was superb

I commented during the game that the most remarkable thing about today for me is that the best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt scored a hat trick and still didnt feature in my top three for Man of the Match! I probably give it to Lyndon actually but Jacobs was outstanding too, Rankin had a terrific game and Tappy had maybe his best hour in a Queens shirt. And the centre backs strolled it again.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I certainly didn't expect that today, but we do need to put all our results so far in context.  

We should have been looking to beat the part time sides at home.  It's obviously good that we did it, but it would have been disappointing otherwise.  Losing narrowly at Tannadice was no disaster, but we should have done better against ten men.

A hefty win at Falkirk is clearly terrific, but again it's probably needing some context.  Going by their fans' comments even prior to today, that's a club in a bit of a tailspin.  Again, I'd have predicted that ours might just be the club to turn them round, so it's great that we weren't.

Certain circumstances have thus far been kind to us though.

And how many times in the past have we failed to take advantage of these favourable circumstances?  I don't remember this brimming optimism prior to any of our three victories, so I don't think it's fair to write them off as foregone conclusions now that they are in the past.

I commented during the game that the most remarkable thing about today for me is that the best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt scored a hat trick and still didnt feature in my top three for Man of the Match! I probably give it to Lyndon actually but Jacobs was outstanding too, Rankin had a terrific game and Tappy had maybe his best hour in a Queens shirt. And the centre backs strolled it again.

Totally agree on all accounts, thought back four were good also, bar the goal... but can look past that as job was done

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

And how many times in the past have we failed to take advantage of these favourable circumstances?  I don't remember this brimming optimism prior to any of our three victories, so I don't think it's fair to write them off as foregone conclusions now that they are in the past.

That's probably why I was at pains to say it's good that we won the home games we should have, and said that I didn't see today's result coming and described it as terrific.  

Hardly dismissing anything as foregone.  I was just providing a bit of context.

1 hour ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Dobbie got the hat trick but my man of match was Tapping. Thought he was superb.

He was indeed. Great to see him performing so well. Great control and movement, passed the ball well. Hope he stays injury free. We were good today. At risk of sounding negative on such a positive day I thought Falkirk would be a real test but they were woeful. Hugely encouraging though. Dobbie's two goals from open play were great. One great move and a superb solo effort. Great day out!

Edited by louisxiv

I'm scarred by last season so I'm not going to go mental but to take 9 from 12 is better than I expected and I certainly feel with the new signings that we have a degree of flexibility and quality that I don't think we had last season. I still think there's a lot more to find out before putting judgement on the team such as how the team reacts if they go down or how we cope with a team with quick wingers like Dunfermline or St Mirren but the next month where we play 3 out of 4 away from home where hopefully we see what this team is made of.

14 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

The next month where we play 3 out of 4 away from home where hopefully we see what this team is made of.

Looking at the fixtures, the first third of the League campaign looks a bit imbalanced.  We're only at home five times in our first thirteen league games.

The old pattern of 'away one week; home the next' always had exceptions, but it seems to barely exist any more at all.  At numerous points, we've got successive away games or successive home ones.  It's a trend I've noticed of late and it's irritating.

The Competition we have for places is pretty impressive considering our small squad

Thought Danny and Rooney had been playing well and will be disappointed not to play(Although was dan injured?)

Naysmith deserves credit for this,The fact we can play different shapes with different players depending on our opposition is very pleasing

The Competition we have for places is pretty impressive considering our small squad
Thought Danny and Rooney had been playing well and will be disappointed not to play(Although was dan injured?)
Naysmith deserves credit for this,The fact we can play different shapes with different players depending on our opposition is very pleasing

Rooney must have been injured. No way Mercer makes the bench ahead of him if fit.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Looking at the fixtures, the first third of the League campaign looks a bit imbalanced.  We're only at home five times in our first thirteen league games.

The old pattern of 'away one week; home the next' always had exceptions, but it seems to barely exist any more at all.  At numerous points, we've got successive away games or successive home ones.  It's a trend I've noticed of late and it's irritating.

Fixture list looks a bit mental. We have 5 home games in just about the first 4 months of the season. Then 4 home games in the month before Christmas. Apart from anything else, it isn't great scheduling from a financial point of view having so many home games at that time of year.

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

Fixture list looks a bit mental. We have 5 home games in just about the first 4 months of the season. Then 4 home games in the month before Christmas. Apart from anything else, it isn't great scheduling from a financial point of view having so many home games at that time of year.

I just don't understand why it's necessary.

Surely it's advantageous for clubs financially and for supporters psychologically, to have home and away games fairly evenly spread month by month.