The Queen of the South thread

I don't see that this change could do much.
You absolutely offered the Raith situation as an example of the "risk" attached to such a move and the "harm" it could do.
You're current backtracking on it is probably wise.

You've just changed from "couldn't do any harm" to "could do much". Not sure I'm the one backtracking.

I think you're reading more into what I've posted than is actually there

That's Dobbie on 90 goals for Queens now, moving past Jimmy Robertson and Ian Reid to 9th in the all-time goalscorers  Top Ten. Meanwhile, Derek Lyle (113 goals) only needs another 2 goals to pass Andy Thomson's total of 114 and move into 3rd place of the all time scorers. It's been 60 years since Queens had 2 prolific scorers playing at the same time. There's a reason to go and watch Queens now!

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

You've just changed from "couldn't do any harm" to "could do much". Not sure I'm the one backtracking.

I think you're reading more into what I've posted than is actually there

Tell me why you cited those calamitous events at Raith Rovers then.

I'm struggling to see their relevance, if it wasn't done to highlight the apparent dangers of having fan representation.

43 minutes ago, JessieField said:

That's Dobbie on 90 goals for Queens now, moving past Jimmy Robertson and Ian Reid to 9th in the all-time goalscorers  Top Ten. Meanwhile, Derek Lyle (113 goals) only needs another 2 goals to pass Andy Thomson's total of 114 and move into 3rd place of the all time scorers. It's been 60 years since Queens had 2 prolific scorers playing at the same time. There's a reason to go and watch Queens now!

That`s just not true. Jocky Dempster with 98 goals and Ian Reid with 89 both played in the same QOS team in the 70s. If you add in that Tommy Bryce mark1 and Peter Dickson also featured around that time then it`s clear the team had plenty of goals in it then.

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That`s just not true. Jocky Dempster with 98 goals and Ian Reid with 89 both played in the same QOS team in the 70s. If you add in that Tommy Bryce mark1 and Peter Dickson also featured around that time then it`s clear the team had plenty of goals in it then.

OK, it's 40 years then!

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

I'm not sure if why you're resorting to such hyperbole. You said it couldn't do any harm, I'm saying that I don't believe that is true.

Because the league doesn't allow it.

I'm not convinced the demand is there for an audio commentary. It would be nice to do but needs, probably, 3 people to volunteer to do it.

Does the league allow delayed stream of the game. So A-Mac could watch the game 12 hrs later after full time whistle as an example? 

Oh-Oh! Just had a look at the book "The Queens 1919-1995", and it says on page 148 that Ian Reid was transferred to Airdrie in January 1977 after nearly 4 seasons, 191 first team games, and a total of 93 goals!  The figure always quoted on here is 89 goals. Has the lower figure been verified?

Just now, JessieField said:

Oh-Oh! Just had a look at the book "The Queens 1919-1995", and it says on page 148 that Ian Reid was transferred to Airdrie in January 1977 after nearly 4 seasons, 191 first team games, and a total of 93 goals!  The figure always quoted on here is 89 goals. Has the lower figure been verified?

I've also just noticed in the above that he must have averaged nearly 50 games a season?? Surely that can't be right?

REID,Ian 
Born Glasgow. Signed in September 1973 from Dundee United. Ian will always go down as 100% player who could score goals. After an unsuccessful spell with Nottingham Forest, his career took off when he joined Dundee United, and after four seasons with them, he was signed by Willie McLean, the then Queens manager. In his first season with the club, he scored 28 goals and in the next season, a further 26. His Queens career came to an end in January 1977 when he was transferred to Airdrie, for a fee of £4,000. He also had a spell with Forfar Athletic. In all, Ian made 193 appearances, scoring 89 goals.

Taken from QOS A-Z

It does seem a lot of games in that time period.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Tell me why you cited those calamitous events at Raith Rovers then.

I'm struggling to see their relevance, if it wasn't done to highlight the apparent dangers of having fan representation.

Simply to highlight that the experience isnt always positive.

1 hour ago, Senior_Coconut said:

Sorry i meant what's the incentive for a fan to go on to the website and subscribe.

A newsletter or a pdf of the latest programme as an incentive may get a higher return.

Sorry, misunderstood

Clearly there isnt one right now! Sending the programme out is an interesting idea, definitely one I'll look into.

To be honest, though, until the club can get into a position where its using the CRM properly and using it for regular communication its unlikely there will be much benefit.

48 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Does the league allow delayed stream of the game. So A-Mac could watch the game 12 hrs later after full time whistle as an example? 

A-mac is in Australia so he could watch the stream live, if there was one.

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

REID,Ian 
Born Glasgow. Signed in September 1973 from Dundee United. Ian will always go down as 100% player who could score goals. After an unsuccessful spell with Nottingham Forest, his career took off when he joined Dundee United, and after four seasons with them, he was signed by Willie McLean, the then Queens manager. In his first season with the club, he scored 28 goals and in the next season, a further 26. His Queens career came to an end in January 1977 when he was transferred to Airdrie, for a fee of £4,000. He also had a spell with Forfar Athletic. In all, Ian made 193 appearances, scoring 89 goals.

Taken from QOS A-Z

It does seem a lot of games in that time period.

OK I've just come to the conclusion that the Queens book is totally wrong, it must have been January 1978 he left the Club because according to the book Reid was playing in a 3-3 draw against East Fife in December 1977! So he must have been at Queens for 4 and a half seasons which would explain the number of games played! He must have played in nearly every match! That book is totally unreliable.

16 minutes ago, JessieField said:

OK I've just come to the conclusion that the Queens book is totally wrong, it must have been January 1978 he left the Club because according to the book Reid was playing in a 3-3 draw against East Fife in December 1977! So he must have been at Queens for 4 and a half seasons which would explain the number of games played! He must have played in nearly every match! That book is totally unreliable.

He's also in the team against Hamilton in January 1978 according to my program.