The Queen of the South thread

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They claim they only put money into youth development (Weir Academy and an apparent training ground) and dont put any money into the actual club. 

Possibly but its all swings and roundabouts isnt it. If the Weirs are funding the Academy then Thistle arent so they can throw that budget at the first team instead. This might not be very much. I dont claim to know to what extent they supply funding. It may well be less than McGregor's subsidising of County. 

Isn't one of the Stands at Firhill now the Colin Weir Stand? Presumably there is sponsorship income for that?

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Possibly but its all swings and roundabouts isnt it. If the Weirs are funding the Academy then Thistle arent so they can throw that budget at the first team instead. This might not be very much. I dont claim to know to what extent they supply funding. It may well be less than McGregor's subsidising of County. 

Isn't one of the Stands at Firhill now the Colin Weir Stand? Presumably there is sponsorship income for that?

It'll definitely lessen the load on their finances, it does seem a different approach to McGregor chucking £100k of his own money at ICT for Ross Draper, though. 

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 06:51, Swarley said:

Anyone been to the Club Shop recently? Do they have much stock left? Would really like one of the pink goalie outfits for my daughter (6yo) if they had that size.

Anyone know where Swarley lives? The chances of him having an actual daughter seem remote and I'm keen to check his cellar....

Anyone know where Swarley lives? The chances of him having an actual daughter seem remote and I'm keen to check his cellar....
I'm curious to know what gives you that impression. But, 12 Ruel Street, Sydney. Bring yer maw!

Not as far as I know. I havent seen one.

You would of though that Macron must at least have a sample of all the shirts made up by now so the supporters can see what the strips look like rather than that sketches we saw at the shirt draw

5 hours ago, Swarley said:
6 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

I'm curious to know what gives you that impression. But, 12 Ruel Street, Sydney. Bring yer maw!

I'm outside now with my sledgehammer.

2 hours ago, Spring Onion said:

Would be good to get the beaten Cup finalists down to Palmerston,  must be a long time since we played them last. 

Wouldn't we be away to the top seeds ? Certainly been the case with Partick and Accies the last two years. 

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Wouldn't we be away to the top seeds ? Certainly been the case with Partick and Accies the last two years. 

I actually have no idea, top seeds can't play everyone at their own home ground. Could be the top seed plays second seeds at home, must be some rules regarding it. 

36 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

I actually have no idea, top seeds can't play everyone at their own home ground. Could be the top seed plays second seeds at home, must be some rules regarding it. 

Yes we have been second seeds every year and have played the top seeds away. Imagine will be the same this year. 

It's as if the system is set up to benefit the top seeded teams. I for one am shocked.

Hopefully my odd approach will mean that Naysmith should have a bigger budget .Two home games v Livi be lucky to get 2500 Two homes games with Partick we should  get close to 5000 .

Partick bringing a big crowd won't help Queens. Teams in the Championship focus to much on what crowds will do for them. It's done f**k all for teams like Falkirk for years.

3 hours ago, Broony88 said:

I think they did away with the guaranteed fixture order last year but havent seen any confirmed rules for this year yet so its probably still to be confirmed.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

IMG_1527010051.367797.jpg

Is this the colour of our new 3rd strip ?

Could well be. Certainly its a sky blue and I think off their catalogue rather than designed, albeit it will have special Centenary embroidery.

18 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

Partick bringing a big crowd won't help Queens. Teams in the Championship focus to much on what crowds will do for them. It's done f**k all for teams like Falkirk for years.

Getting more money in the coffers won't help a team ? 

Im sure livi won't adjust budget at all now they have the old firm and the Edinburgh teams coming instead of Queens and Dumbarton. 

Guest Flash
14 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Getting more money in the coffers won't help a team ? 

Im sure livi won't adjust budget at all now they have the old firm and the Edinburgh teams coming instead of Queens and Dumbarton. 

It won’t help us any more than it helps everybody else in the league.  Whatever extra we get from games against Thistle compared with games against Livi, so will everybody else. In any event, in terms of away fans, Thistle are replacing St.Mirren and County are replacing Livi. The net effect won’t be that much.  Alloa are effectively replacing Brechin which again won’t make much difference. Probably the biggest impact for us will be Ayr replacing Dumbarton. But they won’t take that many more to us than they do to teams in the central belt. So, basically our budget relative to everybody else won’t be all that different from before.

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

It won’t help us any more than it helps everybody else in the league.  Whatever extra we get from games against Thistle compared with games against Livi, so will everybody else. In any event, in terms of away fans, Thistle are replacing St.Mirren and County are replacing Livi. The net effect won’t be that much.  Alloa are effectively replacing Brechin which again won’t make much difference. Probably the biggest impact for us will be Ayr replacing Dumbarton. But they won’t take that many more to us than they do to teams in the central belt. So, basically our budget relative to everybody else won’t be all that different from before.

All true. The relative effect of away support is largely irrelevant. Indeed to the marginal extent that it's relevant, County joining Inverness will boost Caley's income at least without helping anyone else to any extent.

That said, physically getting more cash in all helps with paying the bills unrelated to the football budget. However, it's fairly likely if there is indeed any extra income from away fans this coming season (which as you note over the piece probably isn't that much if any better) it's not likely to offset the additional costs of going to Dingwall twice, especially if there are extra policing charges in dealing with Thistle or Ayr fans.

EDITED to add - Of course, notwithstanding your overall changes analysis above, the fact is that on Sunday it was an either /or of Livingston or Thistle. The others were already facts. In that respect we're certainly better off financially having Thistle over Livingston. The costs of travel to both are the same. The visiting support will be much better albeit with costs taken off it won't be all that much. Livingston matches were police free. I doubt Thistle will be.

Edited by Skyline Drifter