The Queen of the South thread

54 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

Good article. Thanks for posting. 

It's informative, it's a good piece. Some of the English in his quotes is pretty cringeworthy though. I don't doubt it's what he actually said but would you not normally tidy that sort of thing up? Is it supposed to be a transcription?

"I am just starting mines"
"We done that the year after"
"Nah, I wouldn't say I was happy"
"the other boys done well enough"
etc

Sorry, maybe just me but it was irritating me! :shutup

I wish we could have kept Nicky longer. I don't get the hate there is for him from a lot of our fans because of where he went and the perception his dad pushed him to go there (which he didn't). Dobbie is the classiest player I've seen at Queens but some of the play from Nicky Clark in the second six months of that season was better than anything else I've seen from a Queens forward. The movement and finishing was lethal. Maybe it was just a bit of a flash. He did well last year but hasn't yet looked quite as unstoppable as he was that season again. I tend to disagree about Rangers. I don't think it helped him at all in terms of his game. For me it stalled there and it's not till now he's really started to look really effective up front again.

My memory of that goal on the opening day at Dumbarton he describes is that Dan Carmichael fired a ball over that hit him in the face and looped in rather than was "headed" but whatever, it got him started and he didn't really look back.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

BETFRED Cup opponents are MOTHERWELL, CLYDE, EDINBURGH CITY & STRANRAER. Good chance surely to progress into next round. 

Forgot all about the draw being tonight, thanks.

Edited to add: Good draw. Happy to get Motherwell though it will be difficult. They didn't get to two cup finals last year for no reason. Long time since we played them though. Hope it's away. Three wins from the other games would probably get us through. Easier said than done though. Couldn't beat either EK or Albion Rovers last season and fortunate to beat Stenny. Stranraer derbies are never easy (chance to meet up with Jamie Hamill again) and Clyde under Lennon look like they are much improved. If they still have Goodwillie they'll carry a real threat.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

actually said but would you not normally tidy that sort of thing up? Is it supposed to be a transcription?

etc

I hear what you’re saying SD but I kind of like the authenticity. I have a thing about ‘tidying up’ the way people speak and quite like it the way it is. Different stroke I guess. 

Queens never want to go back to part time football .Somehow we must stay full time but with another huge loss for last season it is going to be very difficult to stay full time  .

Our crowds were very poor last season if not for the arena then we would probably be part time now just can't have full time football on crowds under 2000 .

Have to hope for a good Cup run something we have not had for many years..

Of the full time teams in our league our budget must be one of the smallest maybe around £400,000 .

In saying that Livi budget was around £300,000 this season look how well they done think Dundee UTD was over a million 

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wish we could have kept Nicky longer. I don't get the hate there is for him from a lot of our fans because of where he went and the perception his dad pushed him to go there (which he didn't). Dobbie is the classiest player I've seen at Queens but some of the play from Nicky Clark in the second six months of that season was better than anything else I've seen from a Queens forward. The movement and finishing was lethal. Maybe it was just a bit of a flash. He did well last year but hasn't yet looked quite as unstoppable as he was that season again. I tend to disagree about Rangers. I don't think it helped him at all in terms of his game. For me it stalled there and it's not till now he's really started to look really effective up front again.

Totally agree with all that. I’ll always remember his goal at Palmy that beat Gretna’s record of goals in a season. Not the greatest Queens memory but hugely enjoyable all the same. I was in the Portland Street end and recall much jubilation. 

Edited by louisxiv

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's informative, it's a good piece. Some of the English in his quotes is pretty cringeworthy though. I don't doubt it's what he actually said but would you not normally tidy that sort of thing up? Is it supposed to be a transcription?

etc

I wish we could have kept Nicky longer. I don't get the hate there is for him from a lot of our fans because of where he went and the perception his dad pushed him to go there (which he didn't).

No it's not just you.  I'd see it more as infuriating than irritating though.

As for Clark, I don't think there's any perception at all that "his dad pushed him to go there".  The disquiet, which I still share, arose because his dad, while in a management role at our club, saw it as appropriate to speak publicly about playing an active and enthusiastic part in encouraging a player to whom we'd offered a contract, to go and join someone else.  Of course Nicky would have gone there regardless.  The actual part played by his dad made no material difference to the outcome - I don't think anyone fails to grasp that.  After that kind of season, he was always going to move and from his point of view, a happy alignment of the stars made him a realistic signing for Rangers.  None of that however, is the issue.

The issue is that Sandy saw absolutely no conflict of interest here and was sufficiently disrespectful towards our club to put the fact that we employed him, completely aside.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No it's not just you.  I'd see it more as infuriating than irritating though.

As for Clark, I don't think there's any perception at all that "his dad pushed him to go there".  The disquiet, which I still share, arose because his dad, while in a management role at our club, saw it as appropriate to speak publicly about playing an active and enthusiastic part in encouraging a player to whom we'd offered a contract, to go and join someone else.  Of course Nicky would have gone there regardless.  The actual part played by his dad made no material difference to the outcome - I don't think anyone fails to grasp that.  After that kind of season, he was always going to move and from his point of view, a happy alignment of the stars made him a realistic signing for Rangers.  None of that however, is the issue.

The issue is that Sandy saw absolutely no conflict of interest here and was sufficiently disrespectful towards our club to put the fact that we employed him, completely aside.

Yes. Also agree with earlier posts that going to Servco didn’t do anything for his career, his bank balance notwithstanding. I’m struggling to think of many players whose careers have been enhanced in recent years by playing for that lot. 

Edited by louisxiv

3 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

Yes. Also agree with earlier posts that going to Servco didn’t do anything for his career, his bank balance notwithstanding. I’m struggling to think of many players whose careers have been enhanced in recent years by playing for that lot. 

In hindsight, it maybe hasn't been a great move, but it made plenty sense for him (and Rangers) at the time.  In fact, even in hindsight, it might not look that bad.  His career since suggests that he's a decent player at Scottish second tier level and probably wasn't likely to get an awful lot higher.  As is though, he got to play for a massive club he supported at that level.

He's possibly sincere enough, and even wise in having no real regrets.

I'd sooner be away to Stranraer than Edinburgh. We've played Edinburgh away but not at home and derby matches are always better being the away side. I know that distaste for Stranraer isn't what it once was but I'd still prefer to play them at Stair Park.