The Queen of the South thread

The problem as I see it is that any big English teams would likely send a young squad and any smaller teams wouldn’t be enough of a draw to make it worthwhile.

You'd assume the same if it were any of the Scottish Premiership teams too. No one would want to risk their players during the season. And you'd obviously want to avoid inviting only Celtic or Sevco due to the amount of crap that would follow.

How about a pre season tournament? Call it the Centenary Cup. Invite say 5 teams, maybe allow a mixture of current players and 'legends'.

Split teams two groups of 3. Play each team in you league once. Reduce match duration to fit all games into the day. Points for win or draw. Bonus points if you score more than 4 goals.

Then 3rd place teams play off for 5th/6th place, 2nd place teams for 3rd/4th and the 1st place teams go to a Grand Final to decide champions/runners up.

Let punters in for free (or a gold coin donation if you have to charge), have plenty of extra areas selling food and drink, merchandise, etc within the ground. Giveaway stuff to kids, scarves, tshirts something, doesn't have to be too expensive. Just a momento of the day.

It would take a bit of organising and probably far too late in the day for next season but just a thought.

7 hours ago, louisxiv said:

Sorry to say I wouldn’t find that remotely interesting. Too long ago and I was at both games.  And let’s face it they were a bigger pull for us than we were for them. Seen it, done it for me and for Nordsjaelland as well i’m fairly sure. The problem as I see it is that any big English teams would likely send a young squad and any smaller teams wouldn’t be enough of a draw to make it worthwhile.  Unless the board can spin something good,  call in some real kind of  favour I can only see a bit of a damp squib tbh, especially if the aim is to bring in new punters. 

We've had a similar issue with testimonials lately. Steven Anderson got Hearts and Chris Millar is getting Aberdeen. 

Most teams charge to appear so you're likely to make a loss. Celtic apparently charge a seven figure fee. 

3 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Anybody else share our centenary? Need to research.....

P

3 hours ago, QOS1919 said:

P

I’d enjoy a weekend tournament such as Swarley suggested involving the likes of Drogheda, Kendal Town, Selby Town and the likes more than  watching  Hearts or Hibs reserves. I imagine though that costs would make it unviable for teams to travel.

Edited by louisxiv

8 hours ago, QOS1919 said:

P

Formby it is then!Could Queens not play Kendal away as joint centenary celebrations.That could be a decent away day.

4 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

A game against a club with a big following so the club could perhaps make some money out of it.
That’s my understanding anyway

Not sure if I wanna watch us play  either of the bigot brothers.

5 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

A game against a club with a big following so the club could perhaps make some money out of it.
That’s my understanding anyway

Probably been covered earlier but games against a  "big"  club usually means they send a squad of fringe 1st teamers and some under-21's so hardly a crowd pulling success for us.   Probably the best you could say about playing Celtic or rangers is that their fans are so brainwashed they would turn up to watch anything involving their clubs.  

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of our Cup Final 2008 squad V Double Winning squad 2012. Maybe not as the main event but one of the possible attractions throughout the year. Obviously it throws up some problems,  Cup Final captain banned from Palmerston for one thing,   and most of the 2012 squad being involved with other clubs may not make it possible.  As I say,  just an idea. 

Who did Queens play their inaugural match against? Would that be a shout for your Centenary match?

Excuse the interruption, but I lived in Dumfries mid eighties to mid nineties and I usually have a wee look in here to see what's happening!

35 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of our Cup Final 2008 squad V Double Winning squad 2012. Maybe not as the main event but one of the possible attractions throughout the year. Obviously it throws up some problems,  Cup Final captain banned from Palmerston for one thing,   and most of the 2012 squad being involved with other clubs may not make it possible.  As I say,  just an idea. 

I like this one.

I'd be kind of loathed to involving the military but how about a friendly with an Army FA select as a nod to our foundation as a result of the end of the war and our incorporation of the 5th KOSB - (we could even get them to wear our new away strip)

52 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Probably been covered earlier but games against a  "big"  club usually means they send a squad of fringe 1st teamers and some under-21's so hardly a crowd pulling success for us.   Probably the best you could say about playing Celtic or rangers is that their fans are so brainwashed they would turn up to watch anything involving their clubs.  

Meh, having a Cup Final side play the current side didn't exactly set the turnstiles alight for Paul Burns Testimonial. Derek Lyle did better bringing a Rangers Legends team down.

As you say, probably impractical during the actual season anyway given the number still involved in football.

The 2012 squad are all still playing football somewhere except for Chris Mitchell who is tragically no longer with us, and Ryan McGuffie, recently retired but living in Australia. A number are currently free agents (Lyle, Durnan, Holt, Reilly, Paton, etc). Not sure if Derek Young is still playing or not.

A fair number of the 2008 side are still involved in football too to be fair. Jamie MacDonald and Stephen Dobbie are still playing in the SPFL. Ryan McCann was with Edusport last year I think. Andy Aitken is at Gretna, JT now at Kilsyth Rangers, Paul Burns with Cumnock, Neil Macfarlane coaching in Cyprus with Stephen Pressley. Not sure where Stevie Tosh is now. Last heard of working abroad in the oil industry. Jamie McQuilken went off to join the police. Think Sean O'Connor has his own business in Wolverhampton area. John Stewart was playing Junior last season I think. Scott Robertson just signed for Airdrie. Eric Paton couldn't be contacted for Derek Lyle's game. Seems to have disappeared.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, having a Cup Final side play the current side didn't exactly set the turnstiles alight for Paul Burns Testimonial. Derek Lyle did better bringing a Rangers Legends team down.

Is there anything realistic that will get large numbers through the gate? Certainly nothing like the buzz of our 75th game against Partizan Belgrade. In the absence of a realistic glamour tie  I'd rather do something with a nod to history.