The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

I'd be kind of loathed to involving the military but how about a friendly with an Army FA select as a nod to our foundation as a result of the end of the war and our incorporation of the 5th KOSB - (we could even get them to wear our new away strip)

There's an Army team, they're pretty good but it wouldn't bring in any sort of attendance at all. 

There's an Army team, they're pretty good but it wouldn't bring in any sort of attendance at all. 

See above. I don’t think there is anybody we could realistically play who would bring a crowd.

28 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Our former goalkeeper, Jim Atkinson's brother Sam plays for the British Army team.

19 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

See above. I don’t think there is anybody we could realistically play who would bring a crowd.

Tend to agree, depending on what you term "a crowd". Certainly it's unlikely any of the sorts of team who would bring in 2,000+ would actually have any interest in playing us. We could probably find someone who would bring in a four figure crowd though. I doubt a game against an Army or QoS Legends team would get anywhere near a four figure crowd. That said, if you aren't going to make serious money out of it then I've some sympathy for your point that you may as well do something commemorative that would be special for the hardcore.

I know there were early suggestions of approaching Leeds United who also have their centenary in 2019 but I don't think it got anywhere as far as I know. At the end of the day, there's not really anything in it for Leeds. I'm sure they'd rather approach Valencia themselves than Queen of the South!

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Let's not bother about trying to mark our Centenary,  let's just bring out commerative strips,  nothing else seems possible or attractive to the punters going by reaction on here. 

Obviously, you're being critical here, but I actually agree with the contents of the post.

The kit is a nice idea and if there's a book, that's good too.  A dinner will be great for those that fancy it, but beyond that, I'm not sure really.   

The idea of some contrived match has fairly limited appeal for me personally, but others will see it differently.   Partizan Belgrade had novelty value and was quite entertaining, but the crowd wasn't huge.

The centenary is worth marking, but as others have said, we're not an especially old club.  I don't know that we should force it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know there were early suggestions of approaching Leeds United who also have their centenary in 2019 but I don't think it got anywhere as far as I know. At the end of the day, there's not really anything in it for Leeds. I'm sure they'd rather approach Valencia themselves than Queen of the South!

Played Leeds in 1949 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of both clubs. Playing them again would start to get a bit samey.

Partizan Belgrade had novelty value and was quite entertaining, but the crowd wasn't huge.

Anybody have the exact figure? I remember it being absolutely freezing and for some reason I was in the Terregles Street end.

14 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

Anybody have the exact figure? I remember it being absolutely freezing and for some reason I was in the Terregles Street end.

It was really cold and the pitch was extremely icy.  

The cowshed was gone, but only the first few beams were in place for the new stand.  

As I recall, we were treated to some really slick football - neat little reverse passes all over the place.  I don't think the crowd was great but the weather and the fact it was only two or three days before Christmas can't have helped.

It was really cold and the pitch was extremely icy.  
The cowshed was gone, but only the first few beams were in place for the new stand.  
As I recall, we were treated to some really slick football - neat little reverse passes all over the place.  I don't think the crowd was great but the weather and the fact it was only two or three days before Christmas can't have helped.

Probably explains it. I would have just gone away to university and used to stand in the home terracing or the cowshed-wasteland so would have been confused by the rise of the new stand!

Yes, Partizan were great on a terrible pitch - trackie bottoms abounded irc. It’s a shame that both our games against continental opposition (this and Nordsjaelland) occurred on pitches that would probably have seen domestic games postponed.

The Partizan game was played on Thursday 22nd December 1994. Sasa Curcic who went on to star for Bolton and Aston Villa was the real star of the show on a fundamentally unplayable pitch. No idea what the crowd was. I have a match programme from the game but there is no mention of it at all in subsequent competitive match programmes.

We have had more than two home games against foreign opposition though TeeMan. Leaving aside the fact that Ukranian side Metallist Kharkiv played here in the 70's, we definitely played a home game against a touring Chinese side a year or two after the Partizan game. Did we not have Akranes of Iceland when Golac was with them too?

26 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Why not Centenary bottles of wine, whisky, vodka, gin, etc? Maybe even a local brewery doing a Centenary Ale?

Or even a Commemorative cider?  #Steilhead Cider.  Yes, that's me, blatant advertising but I could do one!  Mods!!! Ban me!!!

The Partizan game was played on Thursday 22nd December 1994. Sasa Curcic who went on to star for Bolton and Aston Villa was the real star of the show on a fundamentally unplayable pitch. No idea what the crowd was. I have a match programme from the game but there is no mention of it at all in subsequent competitive match programmes.
We have had more than two home games against foreign opposition though TeeMan. Leaving aside the fact that Ukranian side Metallist Kharkiv played here in the 70's, we definitely played a home game against a touring Chinese side a year or two after the Partizan game. Did we not have Akranes of Iceland when Golac was with them too?

Those games must have completely passed me by, I’ve got no recollection of either.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Correct. You would get more away attendance if played through the working week as the lads will try get buckshee day off work however alot of reliance is put on the army advertising this. I have more faith in panama winning world cup.

Army team is a decent shout but i cant see the average squadie attending unless

Get day off work

Get pissed

Get transport laid on via their MT.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Think I am right in saying that the Akranes game was refereed by Dumfries local Graham Allison?Game was played 27/03/1997.

Edited by Arsene Parcelly
update

16 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Who did Queens play their inaugural match against? Would that be a shout for your Centenary match?

Excuse the interruption, but I lived in Dumfries mid eighties to mid nineties and I usually have a wee look in here to see what's happening!

16th August 1919 against Sanquhar club Nithsdale Wanderers although there were 4 trial games prior to this one. 

The original Nithsdale Wanderers went out of business in the 1960s but a continuation of the club has competed in the South of Scotland League since 2001.