The Queen of the South thread

44 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

A book and a dinner emoji23.pngemoji23.png surely they can line up a glamour friendly and why not try encourage the organisers of 80’s Rewind to play Palmerston next summer instead of my adopted home town of Perth, May help the club engage more with the people of dumfries once again.

Massive loss...……………………………….again .

If this Glamour friendly isn't against Thornhill (or Real Madrid) and doesn't feature the original team being ferried around Palmerston on horse and carts whilst waving to a crowd of 40 or 50 thousand then this whole Centenary will be a bust imho.

28 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

There must be plenty Queens players still involved in the game. Tommy Sloan just won the junior cup again and Tam Bryce was managing in the juniors until fairly recently. Possibility of a legends game?

Darren Henderson was the losing manager in the Junior Cup Final too.

55 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Darren Henderson was the losing manager in the Junior Cup Final too.

Is that Darren Henderson the fair haired winger, who was at County for a couple of seasons under Cooper?  Always quite liked him.

Josh Mullin has signed for Ross County.

This is the problem Naysmith has a player gets a offer from us waits then gets a better offer from somewhere else .

Naysmith job can't be easy with the budget he has our budget will be the smallest of the full time teams in the Championship 

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

There must be plenty Queens players still involved in the game. Tommy Sloan just won the junior cup again and Tam Bryce was managing in the juniors until fairly recently. Possibility of a legends game?

Has to be a friendly against a English Premier  side .

Newcastle is the easy option but you really want say Liverpool or Man. City or Untied .

Josh Mullin has signed for Ross County.
This is the problem Naysmith has a player gets a offer from us waits then gets a better offer from somewhere else .
Naysmith job can't be easy with the budget he has our budget will be the smallest of the full time teams in the Championship 
I expect Ayr's will be smaller.

28 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Is that Darren Henderson the fair haired winger, who was at County for a couple of seasons under Cooper?  Always quite liked him.

Apparently so. I didn't realise he'd had a spell up North with County. I always liked him too and he scored regularly for us (9 in 26 from the wing according to Wiki) but he seems to have led a nomadic existence. I thought he'd been with us longer than that from memory but he had 9 different clubs (2 spells at both Stranraer & Ayr) in 18 seasons in the senior game. Didn't often stick around more than a year at a club for whatever reason. I remember seeing him play for the likes of Clyde, Stranraer, Ayr and Hamilton but had no memory of spells at County, Raith or Forfar!

Spending money we don't earn or have tucked away would undoubtedly lead is into administration. Success on a small budget is possible however as Livingston have just proved. Having an owner allegedly with money did not help Gretna FC so chucking money at a football club wont necessarily bring sustained success.

34 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Spending money we don't earn or have tucked away would undoubtedly lead is into administration. Success on a small budget is possible however as Livingston have just proved. Having an owner allegedly with money did not help Gretna FC so chucking money at a football club wont necessarily bring sustained success.

Think its been shown in hindsight that Gretna's backer didn't actually have the money everyone thought,  and was allegedly in debt to a lot of businesses.  Even if he did have the wealth his poor health,  and ultimate demise,   would have probably ended Gretna's "fairytale" anyway as his family apparently didn't share his enthusiasm for his hobby. 

I don't really get the apparent dislike some express when a wealthy club owner pumps his own money into a club.  No-one complains too much when the likes of Chelsea,  Man City,  etc are financed by wealthy benefactors but when it happens to a small town club in Scotland,  on a much smaller scale obviously,  it seems to be considered wrong.  

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Think its been shown in hindsight that Gretna's backer didn't actually have the money everyone thought,  and was allegedly in debt to a lot of businesses.  Even if he did have the wealth his poor health,  and ultimate demise,   would have probably ended Gretna's "fairytale" anyway as his family apparently didn't share his enthusiasm for his hobby. 

I don't really get the apparent dislike some express when a wealthy club owner pumps his own money into a club.  No-one complains too much when the likes of Chelsea,  Man City,  etc are financed by wealthy benefactors but when it happens to a small town club in Scotland,  on a much smaller scale obviously,  it seems to be considered wrong.  

I think its alright if its sustainable in the long term but as we've seen with the likes of Gretna, Livie , Dundee and Dunfermline etc  the problems arise when you try to take a club to a level which is unsustainable without the owner/investor continually pumping more and more cash in.  Hopefully Livie have learned their lesson and won't be putting the club at risk to chase trophies/top 6 on home fan numbers of less than a thousand or they'll be back in admin before you know it. Gretna were never big enough to sustain a championship club never mind a top flight one and Dundee and Dunfermline were trying to compete with the likes of Aberdeen , Hibs ,Hearts and the old firm.  Clubs need to know their limits financially and then whether they over achieve should be done due to football decisions and not monetary ones.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

It helped them get to the Premiership and a cup final. The problem was when everyone realised that Mileson didnt have any money and hadnt put any contingency plans in place for the future. Something the Gretna fans at the time were adamant he had done.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think the dislike for Gretna comes from a few places. They rubbed everyones noses in their success and wealth and the media lapped up the "fairytale" based on whatever Mileson fed them. The claims that players were dropping down 3 divisions just to play for Rowan Alexandar, rather than the massive wads of cash being offered, rankled a fair few, I imagine. Not to mention their fairly brazen attempts to lure fans from other clubs

There's an argument that Gretna and their subsequent implosion was instrumental in giving Queens the impetus  to be more successful and compete at a higher level and indeed raise the clubs' profile locally and nationally. The fans came together in a way that they have possibly not done before or since and I'm sure that Gretna trying to poach fans from Dumfries with the likes of free tickets via their community programme also made the custodians of the club  more determined to take the club forward building on the work of Norman Blount.  Was certainly interesting times.