The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, evh78 said:

16th August 1919 against Sanquhar club Nithsdale Wanderers although there were 4 trial games prior to this one. 

The original Nithsdale Wanderers went out of business in the 1960s but a continuation of the club has competed in the South of Scotland League since 2001.

Actually the club immediately joined the Dumfries Amateur League after some unfortunate circumstances, they then played there until they joined the  South of Scotland League in 2001.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The Partizan game was played on Thursday 22nd December 1994. Sasa Curcic who went on to star for Bolton and Aston Villa was the real star of the show on a fundamentally unplayable pitch. No idea what the crowd was. I have a match programme from the game but there is no mention of it at all in subsequent competitive match programmes.

Has anyone heard the rumour that Queens were offered Curcic after the game for 100K? 

The board went to the bank asking to borrow the money saying it was a great investment (which it would have been - Bolton eventually sold him to Villa for 4m). The bank said no, but Queens told Bolton about the situation (for some reason there was a connection - did we not have a right back on loan from them during the late nineties ?) and that's how Curcic ended up playing down south.

40 minutes ago, southoftheriver said:

Has anyone heard the rumour that Queens were offered Curcic after the game for 100K? 

The board went to the bank asking to borrow the money saying it was a great investment (which it would have been - Bolton eventually sold him to Villa for 4m). The bank said no, but Queens told Bolton about the situation (for some reason there was a connection - did we not have a right back on loan from them during the late nineties ?) and that's how Curcic ended up playing down south.

Norman Blount has certainly publicly told the story about being offered Curcic for £100k on more than one occasion but that he couldn't persuade the bank to lend it. I'm not conscious that there was any connection between us and Bolton though and he didn't join Bolton until six months later. Suspect him arriving at Bolton was likely unconnected.

4 hours ago, Arsene Parcelly said:

Think I am right in saying that the Akranes game was refereed by Dumfries local Graham Allison?Game was played 27/03/1997.

Thanks. I knew we'd played them at some point but didn't have the date to hand. I was at the game. Don't remember the referee but it would almost certainly have been Allison. He was definitely the referee for the Partizan game.

Can anyone shed any further light on the friendly with a touring Chinese side. I know I didn't go to the game as it clashed with a work event. I think it may have been near Xmas too but not sure of the year. Late 90's seems likely.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can anyone shed any further light on the friendly with a touring Chinese side. I know I didn't go to the game as it clashed with a work event. I think it may have been near Xmas too but not sure of the year. Late 90's seems likely.

I vaguely remember it! Evening kickoff and I’m sure Paul Rideout was playing for the  Chinese side.  Queens won easily 4-0 or 4-1 I’m sure.

Wasn't much of a crowd - I think only the main stand and enclosure were open.

Edited by Dougie Mills

22 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

I vaguely remember it! Evening kickoff and I’m sure Paul Rideout was playing for the  Chinese side.  Queens won easily 4-0 or 4-1 I’m sure.

If Paul Rideout was playing (I have no memory of this but as I say I wasn't there) then according to Wiki he had a spell with Chinese side Qianwei Huando in 1997 and others with Chongqing Huando in 1999 and Shenzhen Jianlibao in 2000. Could have been any of those.

EDIT - Actually those first two are the same club which changed it's name but he had a spell at Kansas City Wizards in between his two spells there.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Friday, 10th October 1997, Quando Huanwei at Palmerston, Queens won 4-2.  Apparently they had a one legged winger called Wan San Shoo.

Kind of O/T but I can remember McIntyre going nuts (celebrating) when we scored at Falkirk in the 2nd leg of the play-offs. I'll always like him for that alone! I can't remember the last manager who showed that kind of passion with a goal, though Naysmith did when Dobbie scored/didn't score against Morton at the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, Hawk said:

July friendly v Hearts.

Yes friendly was announced a few weeks ago, would like to hear of a few more quality signings following on from Gary Harkins (great signing). 

18 hours ago, TeeMan said:

Those games must have completely passed me by, I’ve got no recollection of either.

I'm in exactly the same boat.  No recollection whatsoever.

I didn't live in Dumfries at the time of either, but the same can be said of the Partizan game.  Pre-internet days I suppose.

4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes friendly was announced a few weeks ago, would like to hear of a few more quality signings following on from Gary Harkins (great signing). 

Will have to wait for signings players will always go to the club who pays the most money sadly that is not us .

Mark Durnan and Kevin Holt  would like to sign  for Queens again  but we can get nowhere near want they would want in wages .

We somehow must have put a good deal to Harkins and Todd but now we will have to wait till players have no other options but to sign for us .

Edited by Northfield 53

Will have to wait for signings players will always go to the club who pays the most money sadly that is not us .
We somehow must have put a good deal to Harkins and Todd but now we will have to wait till players have no other options but to sign for us .

Absolutely. Players sign for clubs purely based on how much money they'll get. Things like:-

- how they'll be utilised

- the style the manager wants the team playing

- whether they get on with the gaffer

- if previous team-mates are currently at the club

- if the move makes sense for their family

mean absolutely nothing as long as the money on offer is better than everyone else.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolutely. Players sign for clubs purely based on how much money they'll get. Things like:-

- how they'll be utilised

- the style the manager wants the team playing

- whether they get on with the gaffer

- if previous team-mates are currently at the club

- if the move makes sense for their family

mean absolutely nothing as long as the money on offer is better than everyone else.

Mark Durnan and Kevin Holt would sign for Queens if the money was right  everything else is right but they have to try and get the best deal they can sadly that wont be at Queens.They will not really care who they play for as long as they get a really good contract .Money is the most important thing for any footballer .

Mark Durnan and Kevin Holt would sign for Queens if the money was right  everything else is right but they have to try and get the best deal they can sadly that wont be at Queens.They will not really care who they play for as long as they get a really good contract .Money is the most important thing for any footballer .

Absolute nonsense. If a footballer was offered a financial package that would make him comfortable and tick the other boxes he would take that over a bumper pay deal with no boxes ticked.

I find it amazing you're arguing this point when we have a player at our club who could have been playing at a far higher level for the last two seasons making a lot more money than he does at us.

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Whats your source for knowing those players want to come back.

7 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Utter shite. Stephen dobbie is not with us for money, he is with us for the love of the club. Im sure there are other examples.