The Queen of the South thread

A few brief observations from tonight.

• Alan Martin looks to have lost about 4 stone.
  • Mikey Doyle is rapid.
  • Gary Harkins is excellent, and what we have been crying out for for years.  Not sure why he is taking corners though when he is such a threat in the air?
  • Andy Stirling is still a fat wee lazy b*****d.  Promising going forward but his complete lack of interest in tracking back is going to cost us in the league.

Dobbie will of course take the plaudits but it was actually a frustrating game from his point of view.  He missed a few chances you'd expect him to bury (the Clyde goalkeeper made a few great saves in fairness), and kept trying to do too much himself when an easy pass was on.  Harkins' performance by contrast was an absolute joy to watch.  I'm going to get a great deal of enjoyment out of watching him this season, he is exactly my kind of player.  What an upgrade on Rankin.

Hopefully another wide man and a striker to come in.  I'm not convinced Doyle is the answer out wide, and Stirling will be a liability in games against better opponents.  Conor Murray looked promising in a more central role when he came on tonight, although Clyde had thrown in the towel by then, so again I'm not convinced he is the answer out wide either.

Pretty confident we'll complete the quadruple based on that tonight.  Looking forward to Saturday now to see how many Calum Antell chucks in.

13 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

• Mikey Doyle is rapid.
  • Gary Harkins is excellent, and what we have been crying out for for years.  Not sure why he is taking corners though when he is such a threat in the air?
  • Andy Stirling is still a fat wee lazy b*****d.  Promising going forward but his complete lack of interest in tracking back is going to cost us in the league.

Dobbie will of course take the plaudits but it was actually a frustrating game from his point of view.  He missed a few chances you'd expect him to bury (the Clyde goalkeeper made a few great saves in fairness), and kept trying to do too much himself when an easy pass was on.  Harkins' performance by contrast was an absolute joy to watch.  I'm going to get a great deal of enjoyment out of watching him this season, he is exactly my kind of player.  What an upgrade on Rankin.

Hopefully another wide man and a striker to come in.  I'm not convinced Doyle is the answer out wide, and Stirling will be a liability in games against better opponents.  Conor Murray looked promising in a more central role when he came on tonight, although Clyde had thrown in the towel by then, so again I'm not convinced he is the answer out wide either.

Pretty confident we'll complete the quadruple based on that tonight.  Looking forward to Saturday now to see how many Calum Antell chucks in.

Doyle is not a winger, more of a stop gap that can do a job. In saying that if he starts ahead of Murray and Todd (who’s still carrying a slight knock) he must be in GN’s plans for RM. He’s a better CM than Rankin, RB than Fordyce and CB than Cameron, an absolute gem of a player at this level. Stirling is brilliant going forward, wouldn’t mind switching him with Dykes for tougher games. Although Dykes is awful in LM, he has the defensive discipline required to play against tough opponents, while Stirling is fast and skilful enough to hit them on the counter, and more likely to get through on goal than Dykes imo. Everyone gets plus marks for me, tonight not too many negatives. Owen Bell not ready to be a regular in this league, but a decent back up that is somewhat versatile is what we needed. Seen Dean Watson twice now and he doesn’t look up to much, but he deserves time before proper judgement can be made.

harkins + dobbie > sex

14 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Andy Stirling is still a fat wee lazy b*****d.  Promising going forward but his complete lack of interest in tracking back is going to cost us in the league.

I thought he was tracking back ok, thought that was one of his better performances in a Queens shirt outside Dunfermline away last year.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Harkins' performance by contrast was an absolute joy to watch.  I'm going to get a great deal of enjoyment out of watching him this season, he is exactly my kind of player.  What an upgrade on Rankin

Love him already, exactly what we've been needing and watching him and Dobbie play together is a joy. Feels like we aren't as reliant on Dobbie anymore, even though he scored the hattrick. 

18 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Outwide has to be the priority, although Todd and Stirling look like being the starters. Would love Thomas back. Front 4 of Todd,Thomas,Dykes,Dobbie with Harkins pulling the strings would be glorious.

21 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Looking forward to Saturday now to see how many Calum Antell chucks in.

Forgot he was there, looking forward to it hopefully can all but confirm progression with it unlikely 4 teams will get 10 points. Impressed with how we have played and pretty confident we will win comfortably again on Saturday, or am I gettin too ahead of myself...

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

• Mikey Doyle is rapid.

I didnt see any problem with Stirlings work rate or tracking back tonight or on Saturday, a definite difference from last season.

Surprised no one has mentioned Semple. He defended well and was, generally, good on the ball. Hopefully, him and Fordyce build up a decent partnership quickly.

Has Doyle now played in more positions than games?

Early days to be jumping to too many conclusions but a good start against albeit lesser opposition.  

I thought Stirling had a good game, he looked more dangerous than Doyle who worked very hard but maybe wasn’t in his best position?

My first look at Semple,  pretty solid defensively, some good interventions,  presumably his distribution will get better as he gets used to the team. He played a few long balls to no-one in particular,  not that he is the first ever of our back four to do that, but as I said, early days.

Bell struggled a bit in the first half, but I thought he improved a lot after the break,  just before he was subbed.  He did OK.

We will have much harder games ahead, but let’s enjoy our romp in the evening sun.......

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I didnt see any problem with Stirlings work rate or tracking back tonight or on Saturday, a definite difference from last season.

Surprised no one has mentioned Semple. He defended well and was, generally, good on the ball. Hopefully, him and Fordyce build up a decent partnership quickly.

I wanted to say something about Semple given it was my first look at him, but I couldn't think of anything to say.  He coasted through the game without doing anything good or bad of note.  That has to be a positive for a defender, but there will be far tougher tests than Clyde so I'll reserve judgement until then.  Fordyce looked shaky at times.  Was it him who left a ball in the first half because he thought it was going out, only for a Clyde player to nearly score at the back post?

Doyle started on the right of midfield then moved to centre midfield when Bell went off.  I wasn't at the Stranraer game but I believe he played centre back then.  So yes!  I'd expect we'll eventually see him play right-back, it would seem logical that is his strongest position based on what I have seen. 

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Michael Doyle in midfield is not quite as ridiculous as us playing Michael Tidser at left back last night, but it's not far off it. How did he do there? :lol:

He did ok on the right and a little better when he moved into the centre. It worked fine against Clyde but I'd hope its not something that will be a regular thing in the league. Nice to have someone who can cover different positions though

23 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Michael Doyle in midfield is not quite as ridiculous as us playing Michael Tidser at left back last night, but it's not far off it. How did he do there? :lol:

Taking into account the level of opposition (I believe it wasn't Clyde's strongest line up) I thought he did well.  He was pushing forward and getting back to help in defence,  certainly no problem with his attitude or workrate. Also solid in the tackle and looking to put the ball into dangerous areas. Looks a good signing but will wait til the real stuff starts before judging too much.  When Todd is fully fit I would hope Doyle will be used more at right back. 

PS: Thanks for Gary Harkins too,  if he keeps interested he will be a big player for us this season.  He's got bags of skill but tended to showboat a bit near the end and faded out a wee bit.  The game was well won by then anyway. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

57 minutes ago, Mr X said:

There were at least two occasions in the first half where I thought Marshall was going to lamp Stirling - he has a tendency to switch off defensively. 

I thought we were ok against a poor Clyde team. Harkins is great on the ball but I'm still worried how it will all hang together when we are playing teams at our level - it will be an awful lot of work for his midfield partner. Semple looked good in the air but missed a couple on the ground but I'm sure his sharpness will improve with game time. I was really impressed with Doyle - it's good to have a player with pace, workrate and determination.

At HT i was feeling pretty pessimistic, but Dobbie :wub:

Edited by TeeMan

There were at least two occasions in the first half where I thought Marshall was going to lamp Stirling - he has a tendency to switch off defensively. 

I thought we were ok against a poor Clyde team. Harkins is great on the ball but I'm still worried how it will all hang together when we are playing teams at our level - it will be an awful lot of work for his midfield partner. Semple looked good in the air but missed a couple on the ground but I'm sure his sharpness will improve with game time. I was really impressed with Doyle - it's good to have a player with pace, workrate and determination.

At HT i was feeling pretty pessimistic, but Dobbie :wub:

Need to remember Harkins still has gears to move up, I suspect most the teams does. What I saw of Semple during the two friendlies, I think with a run of games he’ll become asset, decent on ball, strong in tackle, good in air but just looked a wee bit of the pace couple more games then hopefully the rustiness will ease off and he can kick on. Got to say I’m not overly convinced by our wide options in midfield, Todd still to come in which would be a definite first choice but think another winger on loan wouldn’t go a miss. Gathering a couple of additions may come down to us getting through

Guest Flash
36 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

I was really impressed with Doyle - it's good to have a player with pace, workrate and determination.

Agree. But they should all have these. Livi had 10 outfield players with them last season.

Fordyce looked shaky at times.  Was it him who left a ball in the first half because he thought it was going out, only for a Clyde player to nearly score at the back post?

Yes, yes it was! I could count on one hand the amount of times I'll shout at a player in our side during a season but if you were in the new stand last night there's every chance you heard me having a go. I was absolutely livid [emoji38] I think what annoyed me more was him turning to have a go at Martin and then Mercer. No way was that Martin's to collect and although Mercer did lose his man I don't think it was unreasonable for him to assume Fordyce would have dealt with it. That's two games in a row now he's been casual/stupid at bad times. We got away with it last night but not against Stranraer. The sooner Fordyce sharpens up the better.