The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

That was towards the start of McCall's second "great escape" - Stevie Murray and Jamie Adams making their debut after Willie Gibson had agreed a transfer to Killie.

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/270107.htm

Only prevented from being the archetypical late Queens collapse by the fact that we managed to hold on! I invariably think about this match  any time we go into the last 10 minutes with a comfortable lead. 

Wow that was longer ago than I thought.  I suppose things like that scar you to the point you never really forget!

I'm pretty sure I used to have a general rule of thumb in my head that we would need to be 4 goals in front before I felt truly comfortable.  That day had me re-assessing everything.

Surely we have to add to our squad .

We really only had young boys on the bench Naysmith could not really change anything on Sat .

The young boys will get good experience in the Res team but none are ready for the 1st team .

Hopefully we can get loan players in but like last season we may have to wait 

A sad day today but good to see so many familiar faces of supporters and ex Queens players at Allan Ball's funeral today. Massive turnout and a touching and well planned service. Nice "programme" (quite deliberately designed as one rather than an Order of Service) with some lovely photos of Allan's family and career too. RIP.

36 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

It is one of the stand out away games that one for me, as well as the promotion winning game at Arbroath in 86

remember arbroath very well . i was on the pich after game dancing around with giro george .

When we beat Montrose 7-4 away on the b+q cup in the early 90s I can’t remember the order of the goals but know we went 1-0 very early (as we just caught the goal as we arrived) and it finished 3-3 before going on to win 7-4 after starting. So not sure if we were ever 2 goals down - great game though - virtually every attack was a goal.

23 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

04/08/07 - St Johnstone (H) 2-0 and 3-1 up we were held 3-3 after Martin Hardie's last minute equaliser.

Martin Hardie doing Martin Hardie things :wub: I was about 15, one of my first ever long lourney away days (only previous one was a Tuesday night trip to Dingwall) and I ended up five rows forward with no idea where my dad had gone and hugging random folk after that equaliser. I've loved Palmerston ever since. 

I'm sure Dobbie ripped the pish out Main that day. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

When we beat Montrose 7-4 away on the b+q cup in the early 90s I can’t remember the order of the goals but know we went 1-0 very early (as we just caught the goal as we arrived) and it finished 3-3 before going on to win 7-4 after starting. So not sure if we were ever 2 goals down - great game though - virtually every attack was a goal.

22nd October 1991. I was on a course in Edinburgh with no transport of my own. Met the Travel Club bus at the bypass to get up there and arranged to get tge last train back. Needless to say it left Montrose about 25 mins after full time which was going to be ok until the game went to extra time. Had to get back to Edinburgh so had to leave the game before half time in extra time. We were 6-4 up but as you say, every attack at both ends looked like going in.  Ran to the train station and caught the train (just). Sat on the train all the way back without a clue what the score was. The kids wont comprehend but we had no mobiles or internet then. I just had to wonder until I got back and asked at reception where I was staying if they had heard the score and as it happens the guy had. I cheered!

We were 1-0 & 2-1 down in the game but never two behind.

I'll nominate 3-0 down against St Johnstone at home in about 1981/2ish with half an hour left.  We drew 3-3 and clipped the bar at the end to be denied an unlikely victory.

I'll even it up by nominating that game we lost against a John Colquhoun inspired Stirling Albion a year or two later.  I think the final score was 5-3 to them and we'd earlier led by at least 2, maybe 3.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'll nominate 3-0 down against St Johnstone at home in about 1981/2ish with half an hour left.  We drew 3-3 and clipped the bar at the end to be denied an unlikely victory.

I'll even it up by nominating that game we lost against a John Colquhoun inspired Stirling Albion a year or two later.  I think the final score was 5-3 to them and we'd earlier led by at least 2, maybe 3.

That game against Stirling Albion we were 3-1 up with 20 minutes to go and lost 5-3.  John Colquhoun loved playing us that season - he scored a shedload in our games and I think Celtic or Hearts became interested in him at the end of that season.

Remember that game well lol I am sure Drew Busby took himself off at 3-0 or possibly 3-1 and we subsequently fell apart [emoji23]