The Queen of the South thread

On 01/08/2018 at 12:10, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it was actually a pretty horrendous record until recently.  I think we'd only won once in something close to twenty years until maybe four or five years ago, since when it's been much improved.

I might be havering, but that's my recollection and checking is cheating.  

On 01/08/2018 at 14:23, Flash said:

I think it was a poor record of opening day wins. In recent years we have benefitted from some relatively easy first games, like last season being at home to Brechin. The record at this level since the last defeat in 2010 is

2011 Draw at Livi, 2012 seaside league, 2013 Beat Dundee at home, 2014 Beat Alloa at home, 2015 Beat Alloa at home, 2016 Drew with Dundee U away, 2017 Beat Brechin at home.

So 3 of the 4 opening day wins at this level since 2010 have been at home against part-time opponents. Somebody might know when we last won an opening day fixture away from home at this level. And the last away one against full-time opponents, if different.

On 01/08/2018 at 15:18, Skyline Drifter said:

I have a file on opening day results at home which I started about 20 years ago because I could barely remember an opening day win. As said above we were notoriously awful on opening day for years and years until the trend switched round recently. I will have the exact records at home though it probably only runs back to when I started going.

Didn't get a chance to look at it last night. My immediate records only go back to 1985 when I stated going, though it wouldn't be rocket science to take it back further of course.

1985 Won 2-0 at home to Stenhousemuir
1986 Drew 0-0 at home to Airdrie
1987 Drew 1-1 away to Clydebank
1988 Drew 2-2 at home to Kilmarnock
1989 Lost 2-1 away to Dumbarton
1990 Lost 2-1 at home to East Stirling (Yes kids that's how far we've come in 25+ years!)
1991 Lost 1-0 away to Cowdenbeath
1992 Lost 5-1 away to Forfar Athletic
1993 Won 5-2 away to Arbroath
1994 Won 4-1 at home to Dumbarton
1995 Drew 2-2 at home to Stenhousemuir
1996 Lost 3-1 away to Livingston
1997 Lost 2-1 away to Stenhousemuir
1998 Lost 2-0 away to Clyde
1999 Lost 3-2 at home to Arbroath
2000 Lost 4-3 away to Stenhousemuir
2001 Drew 1-1 away to Hamilton Academical
2002 Won 2-1 at home to Clyde
2003 Lost 4-1 away to St Johnstone
2004 Lost 1-0 at home to Ross County
2005 Lost 4-1 away to St Johnstone
2006 Lost 2-0 away to Livingston
2007 Drew 3-3 at home to St Johnstone
2008 Drew 0-0 at home to Airdrie
2009 Drew 1-1 at home to Raith Rovers
2010 Lost 1-0 away to Dundee
2011 Drew 2-2 away to Livingston
2012 Won 2-0 at home to Forfar Athletic
2013 Won 4-3 at home to Dundee
2014 Won 2-0 at home to Alloa Athletic
2015 Won 3-1 at home to Alloa Athletic
2016 Drew 1-1 away to Dundee United
2017 Won 4-1 at home to Brechin City

So what does this tell us?

We have won 5 of our last 6 opening League games and drew the other, though as Flash says, 4 of those wins were against part time sides.
Unbeaten on opening day for 7 years, only one loss in our last 11 years of opening games (5 wins, 5 draws).
All five wins were at home also. We've only been away from home three times in the last 11 years and two of them were draws

However, as MT said, our record prior to that was horrendous. After beating Dumbarton 4-1 in 1994, we won our opening fixture only once in the next 17 years (when we beat Clyde 2-1 on the Division 2 Championship flag raising day).
After drawing with Stenny in 1995 we actually won one, drew one and lost TEN of the next 12.
From 1986 to 2012, a run of 26 years, we won our opening game just THREE times!

As for Flash's questions, our last away win on opening day was in 1993 when we won 5-2 at Arbroath. There are no away wins at this level on opening day, full time or otherwise, in my 33 years of watching. I don't have any reason to doubt Distant Doonhamer's suggestion that it would be Motherwell in 1962. Of course, that's a slightly misleading stat. You can only play the games you get. Since we returned to this level in 2002 we've had 15 out of 16 seasons here. In that time we've only had six opening fixtures away from home . Two away to St Johnstone (both of which we were thrashed in), two away to Livingston, one away to Dundee and one away to Dundee United.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Regarding the policing costs, is there any way of getting an official explanation for this from somewhere? Be it the club, or from the police.

I simply cannot fathom how policing our games can cost almost double St Mirren, more than double Dunfermline and Falkirk and almost three times Dundee United.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but going by the discussions elsewhere so are a lot of people.

No matter what has happened on opening games before, this Saturday is all that matters. I'm really excited to be going and fully expect a 100% performance and 3 points will ensure a great run home.  

54 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Regarding the policing costs, is there any way of getting an official explanation for this from somewhere? Be it the club, or from the police.

I simply cannot fathom how policing our games can cost almost double St Mirren, more than double Dunfermline and Falkirk and almost three times Dundee United.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but going by the discussions elsewhere so are a lot of people.

The statistics are fairly meaningless without knowing what every club is paying for stewarding (and you wont get that with a freedom of info request because its private info). 

The numbers involved are corrupted also by the timing of games and invoicing, the number of home cup ties, and in our case the fact the costs include the Lyle Testimonial also which the club didnt actually pay for. In short its like producing a table comparing apples, pears and bananas. They arent directly comparable.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The statistics are fairly meaningless without knowing what every club is paying for stewarding (and you wont get that with a freedom of info request because its private info). 

The numbers involved are corrupted also by the timing of games and invoicing, the number of home cup ties, and in our case the fact the costs include the Lyle Testimonial also which the club didnt actually pay for. In short its like producing a table comparing apples, pears and bananas. They arent directly comparable.

Thanks SD, I suspected there would be more to it than meets the eye but I wasn't sure what exactly.  As long as the club aren't being fleeced.  Although I suspect if they were they would have raised it long before the subject appeared on Facebook.

As an aside, I fully believe our games, and games in general in this country are over-policed/over-stewarded.  Obviously that isn't the clubs' fault they are presumably just following the rules.

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, other clubs’ stewarding costs might be higher than ours. However, presumably stewarding costs are lower than police costs. Which is why clubs try to have as many police free games as possible. You pointed out earlier in the thread that at least 11 of our home games last season were police free. So, if we could bring our policing costs down to a level similar to, or lower than, those of much bigger clubs by increasing stewarding, why do we not do that? It would at least take care of your first point.

When our Chairman banned all the unruly youngsters from the Portland Road end last year, were they heavily policed? I know there were problems with fire crackers recently, perhaps that is one of the reasons extra stewarding is required? Are the new group of youngsters well behaved and how many of them are they? Does anyone think this new group is a direct result of our school marketing campaign? I've never noticed any problems with hooliganism whilst attending a game at Palmerston and have always thought the stewarding was way over top and pointless most of the time. I'm sure others will tell a different story, but for me a home game is a great experience, especially when we win!

When our Chairman banned all the unruly youngsters from the Portland Road end last year, were they heavily policed? I know there were problems with fire crackers recently, perhaps that is one of the reasons extra stewarding is required? Are the new group of youngsters well behaved and how many of them are they? Does anyone think this new group is a direct result of our school marketing campaign? I've never noticed any problems with hooliganism whilst attending a game at Palmerston and have always thought the stewarding was way over top and pointless most of the time. I'm sure others will tell a different story, but for me a home game is a great experience, especially when we win!
I meant to comment about that small group of boys behind the goal after our last home game. If anyone from them posts on here then all I say is fair play to you. Thought they made a nice wee bit of noise and didn't appear to be any bother.

I can remember some fans were having a go at those having a go at the last group of youngsters behind the goal. I was one of those who thought their actions at the games was idiotic and whether they paid their money or not I'd rather people like that didn't attend. I think it speaks volumes that that group seems to have disappeared since the police and stewards tightened up and cut out their use of fire crackers etc. No interest in the game, just a place where they could behave like wee fannies.

Fair odds for the league or wildly out?
Screenshot_20180803-125454_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9231a5c4dcfa752b1968d8a9b48f181f.jpg
Wouldn't touch us at that price with free money. We should be at least 66/1.

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

Are the new group of youngsters well behaved and how many of them are they? Does anyone think this new group is a direct result of our school marketing campaign?

Could well be. There will always be a new group of youngsters turning up each season as the next age group gets let up town on their own, gets some money in their pocket and realises there's not that much to do in Dumfries. School visits, relatives who go to the games etc will make them aware of the club and then out of that group a few will stick around and become the next generation of fans, most will drop off. It's got to be a good strategy trying to (a) maximise how many of that age group start coming, and (b) maximise how many of them stay. How you do that is another question.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

The guy said to me that folk had been buying a size up from last year. It depends how you like it to fit. I fit into a large easily enough but I like it to be baggy in case I use it at 5s so I went for XL so it was looser. It's tighter at the top this year.

52 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The guy said to me that folk had been buying a size up from last year. It depends how you like it to fit. I fit into a large easily enough but I like it to be baggy in case I use it at 5s so I went for XL so it was looser. It's tighter at the top this year.

Or you've put on weight.