The Queen of the South thread

why is it pretty shite from the rangers?
they are recalling a player to play for a team in a higher division it is a no brainer for them doesnt matter if Livingston are paying more to his wage or not it is a big benefit to them that he can play in a higher division 
Because they've made a deal with a club and now left them in the shit with a couple of weeks left to get someone in. Robbie isn't going to be their no. 1 next season at this point anyway and they are hardly going to release him if he has a bad time at Livi. It's a higher level but lets not kid ourselves on that it's day and night in quality.

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why wait 6 month when they could do it now?

For the reasons I've already mentioned.

As far as I can see, the only reasons you have mentioned are that "it's poor form" and another six months here "wouldn't be the end of the world".

As much as I dislike Rangers, they're operating at the top of the game in this country, and you don't get to the top by going "ach, why the hell not". You do it by making deliberate decisions to achieve incremental benefits, such as giving a young goalkeeper who's proven himself at this level the continued challenge of stepping up another level again. 

If it was Queens with one of our youth players, I'd be all for it (and btw I think we did recall at least one loan player from a South of Scotland team last week)

Edit: yes, I know they've spent a lot of money, including other people's money, but there's lots of clubs who have done that and got nowhere. I don't follow the Prem but I  assume they wouldn't be practically equal with Celtic if they didn't combine it with a certain work ethic.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

Because they've made a deal with a club and now left them in the shit with a couple of weeks left to get someone in. Robbie isn't going to be their no. 1 next season at this point anyway and they are hardly going to release him if he has a bad time at Livi. It's a higher level but lets not kid ourselves on that it's day and night in quality.

No but there's a good chance he will be number 2 with a view to him possibly being number 1 in the near future.

Foderinghams contract runs out in 2020. McGregor is getting older, 38 in a couple of weeks, if McRorie gets game time in the Premiership it'll give them a better idea of how capable he is.

If McGregor wasn't playing so well still then I'd imagine Liam Kelly would've eventually ended up doing that but it come to soon for him and he had to leave.

If it was a QOTS keeper out doing great in League 2 and he could potentially be your number 1 in the near future and a Championship club wanted him on loan it would be a good move to make for you loaning him to the Championship team to see how well he does.

McRorie already proven himself in this league it would be a waste of 6 months.

ETA: id also argue there's a huge difference in terms of the leagues. Going to Celtic Park, Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Easter Road is way more pressure for a young keeper than Gayfield or Somerset etc.

6 minutes ago, JessieField said:

If this story is true, then Jamie MacDonald is the obvious replacement, but we'll need to pay a fee for him, because sure as hell Kilmarnock won't loan him to us.

Why would they not loan him to us if it was allowed?  They loaned him to Alloa (emergency loan), so obviously he's not exactly high in the Kilmarnock plans. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Why would they not loan him to us if it was allowed?  They loaned him to Alloa (emergency loan), so obviously he's not exactly high in the Kilmarnock plans. 

Alan Johnston/James Fowler/ Queens Board/ Kilmarnock past history.

Queens appear to be on a slippery slope of decline here. My fear is we could be in danger of "doing a Brechin", it was only 2 seasons ago (2017-18) Brechin were in the Championship and now are in danger of dropping  out of League football at the end of this season. Who's to say that couldn't happen at Queens given the lack of funding to compete at this level?

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
42 minutes ago, the tactician said:
why is it pretty shite from the rangers?
they are recalling a player to play for a team in a higher division it is a no brainer for them doesnt matter if Livingston are paying more to his wage or not it is a big benefit to them that he can play in a higher division 

it is 100% a bigger benefit to Rangers and Mcrorie that he goes out on loan to Livingston rather than us. He will be playing a higher standard of players, the training will be better, he will be playing against the likes of Celtic, Hearts,Aberdenn,Hibs who play infront of big crowds.

its a no brainer for Rangers if Livingston have asked to loan him for the rest of the season they will be getting him 6 months playing at the level they hope he will be able to play and will be able to see if he is ready or not.

best of luck to the boy i hope he becomes number 1 for the rangers in the next few years

37 minutes ago, JessieField said:

If this story is true, then Jamie MacDonald is the obvious replacement, but we'll need to pay a fee for him, because sure as hell Kilmarnock won't loan him to us.

Not happening, Sure he has played for 2 clubs this season.. 

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has explained the decision to recall goalkeeper Robby McCrorie from Queen of the South.

The 21-year-old has been on loan at the Championship side since July but the player has now been offered a chance at Premiership level.

The Scotsman running that story. It was posted on the Rangers News 10mins ago.

2 hours ago, Toshson said:

I find this Robbie McCrorie situation very strange on Rangers behalf. If it's true and he's off to Livi, that's him played for two clubs in a season. Surely if anything major happened to McGregor and Fotheringham it would of been easy enough to recall him back from Queens to replace any of there keepers. It just doesn't add up on their part. And if he's going to Livi it would need to be as there No 1, not sit on the bench and lose guaranteed game time, which he's getting currently at Queens.
Then Livingston's wouldn't be able to play him against his parent club for the rest of the season as well.

They wouldn't be able to play him in the Scottish Cup either. He played for us against Queen's Park.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

You can't recall outside of transfer windows. So even if there was an injury and he was at Queens, they couldn't register him and then play him. He's going to come here and be first choice for us so a half season at a higher level is probably pretty invaluable for him at this stage in his career.

Actually, you can recall a goalkeeper from loan for 7 days at a time on an emergency basis if you haven't got more than one fit registered over 22 year old keeper. I've no idea what other keepers Rangers have though.

45 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Jamie MacDonald has played for two clubs. He can't play anywhere else this season.

39 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

If it was Queens with one of our youth players, I'd be all for it (and btw I think we did recall at least one loan player from a South of Scotland team last week)

To be pedantic it was Lowland League and we didn't recall him, we just didn't put him back out on loan when his original deal expired. Presuming you are talking about Benjamin Luissint at Gretna anyway.

26 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Alan Johnston/James Fowler/ Queens Board/ Kilmarnock past history.

Eh? No issues that I'm aware of. James Fowler was instrumental in lending us Josh Todd from St Mirren when he was assistant manager there and we've had several players on loan from Kilmarnock in the last few years (Iain Wilson, Curtis Lyle, Dom Thomas, Greg Kiltie, etc).

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

MacDonald started for Kilmarnock in the Europa League before going to Alloa, so he’s already played for two clubs and can’t play for anyone else this season.

I think that's already been covered earlier,  the grey area is his loan to Alloa was an "emergency loan"  which may not be classed as a full loan.  I think SD covered this in another thread but I can't be arsed looking for it. 

Edit to add: just noticed SD's clarification above. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Looks exactly what some of our contributors have been saying. Stevie G wants Robbie tested against better opposition. Gary Holt was at our recent game up at Ayr, he couldn’t help but have been impressed with Robbie that day.

The lad was a breath of fresh air for me! Good shot stopper, confident, commanded his penalty area really well, good talker. Only thing I thought he needed to work on was his goal kicks. He was a massive upgrade on Robinson & Martin! Looks like Jack will be in goals against Alloa this Saturday?

Obviously rangers are within their rights to do what's best for their player,  it's more the suddenness of the move that annoys me,  unless of course the club had warning it was due to happen.  It certainly doesn't give our Manager much time to fill a position he probably didn't think needed consideration. 

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Obviously rangers are within their rights to do what's best for their player,  it's more the suddenness of the move that annoys me,  unless of course the club had warning it was due to happen.  It certainly doesn't give our Manager much time to fill a position he probably didn't think needed consideration. 

Is the suddenness not down to the injury to the Livi keeper?

Looks exactly what some of our contributors have been saying. Stevie G wants Robbie tested against better opposition. Gary Holt was at our recent game up at Ayr, he couldn’t help but have been impressed with Robbie that day.

The lad was a breath of fresh air for me! Good shot stopper, confident, commanded his penalty area really well, good talker. Only thing I thought he needed to work on was his goal kicks. He was a massive upgrade on Robinson & Martin! Looks like Jack will be in goals against Alloa this Saturday?

I have the fear already

10 hours ago, trotsky27 said:

No be McDonald as the daft fifa two clubs in a season rule a said below woulda like thought rangers will help us out and loan us Firth but if livi did enquire in a goal seems strange they offer them McCrorie instead fodringham or Firth aslong as McCrorie is going be there number 1 other wise it seems an odd move we’re deffo in deep shite January is when you meant strengthen your squad not weaken it emoji30.pngemoji24.png

I had a stroke trying to read that.