The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Will be playing themselves every week as there is no reserve league football this coming season , find it strange a club would sign up a reserve team unless they are part of an academy and on no salary 

I dont think anybody has formally confirmed there will be no reserve league this season. There has been no decision yet but there is clearly no chance of a reserve league this side of Xmas at least. 

There are plenty of clubs still running reserve squads though. A number of Premier sides had indicated they planned to pull out of the Reserve League and just play friendlies even before Covid struck. Rangers did that last season. We were playing in the Premier reserve league anyway, I imagine there will eventually be reserve matches to play with those sides, though probably not while costly testing is required. 

In any event the more senior players may well make up extra spaces in the first team squad if we end up running with the 9 subs the Premiership are using (no decision yet as far as I know) and the younger ones will likely be loaned to Lowland / South sides as they were before. 

And yes, our reserve squad are largely in a full time education programme.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont think anybody has formally confirmed there will be no reserve league this season. There has been no decision yet but there is clearly no chance of a reserve league this side of Xmas at least. 

There are plenty of clubs still running reserve squads though. A number of Premier sides had indicated they planned to pull out of the Reserve League and just play friendlies even before Covid struck. Rangers did that last season. We were playing in the Premier reserve league anyway, I imagine there will eventually be reserve matches to play with those sides, though probably not while costly testing is required. 

In any event the more senior players may well make up extra spaces in the first team squad if we end up running with the 9 subs the Premiership are using (no decision yet as far as I know) and the younger ones will likely be loaned to Lowland / South sides as they were before. 

Thanks for info 👍

The winners of the annual Queens Trust members draw....
Thank you to everyone that has joined the Queens Trust for 2020/21 from new members, renewals, returning members, life members, and those that do monthly direct debits. The support has been fantastic as we reached a record 312 members.
From members in Dumfries to many all over the UK and to even some abroad. Thank you.
We have some extra prizes this year. For these we would like to say a big thank you to Roderick Pool who very kindly donated 2 junior blue tickets and also a big thank you to the Doonhamer Travel Club who very kindly donated a prize of 5 free travels to central belt games when travel to away games resumes. 
We have also added a new prize ourselves for what we feel is a key age group in the support of those that are students or aged 16-21. 
The Queens Trust Committee held an online meeting to conduct this evenings draw. The lucky winners are:
QOS Season tickets:
Adult: David Main
Senior: Hugh Close
Student/16-21: Cameron Harper
Junior Blue: Harry Cameron
Junior Blue: Hugo Purdie
Junior Blue: Jamie Robson
Junior Blue: Jack Gracie
Bus travel with the Travel Club (5 games): Ali Cronie
Thank you all once again for your great support. It is very much appreciated.
Is the trust sponsoring any players this year?

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ayr United have no reserve team this coming season 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

🙏 Its almost 2 weeks since the last new signings were announced..... 

_20200903_220836.JPG

It must be likely that some furloughed players who had contracts extended to the end of August will have been released by clubs concerned about when crowds can return.  Hopefully we will be talking to some of them and it won't be long before numbers increase.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jesus. You're turning into the Rev I M Northfield! Capable of seeing a negative in anything.

Didn't mean to be negative, Its good to see the club is sticking by the young ones even in these unprecedented times. Be good to see one or two step up to the full team, not had many do that recently.... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

10 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Didn't mean to be negative, Its good to see the club is sticking by the young ones even in these unprecedented times. Be good to see one or two step up to the full team, not had many do that recently.... 

Personally I think the club deserve enormous credit for sticking with the Reserves when so many other similar sized clubs have mothballed them or ceased altogether. As Robbo has posted already, Ayr have abandoned their reserve squad. I believe Airdrie did too. Not sure about others.

It should be noted perhaps that one who did come through our Reserve / u20s set up very recently is liable to make his full international debut tonight. Appreciate his path was not exactly typical but it shows the merit in the set up. Connor Murray came through it too. Kevin Holt, Gavin Reilly, Ian McShane, and other guys who have made decent lower level careers like Aidan Smith, Scott Hooper, Pat Slattery, Ayrton Sonkur. It's not done too badly over the relatively recent past