The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally I think the club deserve enormous credit for sticking with the Reserves when so many other similar sized clubs have mothballed them or ceased altogether. As Robbo has posted already, Ayr have abandoned their reserve squad. I believe Airdrie did too. Not sure about others.

It should be noted perhaps that one who did come through our Reserve / u20s set up very recently is liable to make his full international debut tonight. Appreciate his path was not exactly typical but it shows the merit in the set up. Connor Murray came through it too. Kevin Holt, Gavin Reilly, Ian McShane, and other guys who have made decent lower level careers like Aidan Smith, Scott Hooper, Pat Slattery, Ayrton Sonkur. It's not done too badly over the relatively recent past

This season it should all be about the 1st team squad maybe if things get back to something like normal next season then have a reserve team but not this season .Why bother when no league to play in .

Ayr have the right idea put everything they have into the 1st team squad building a very good squad really thought we would like Ayr gradually add to the squad but no looking like now we are hoping for decent loan signings 

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

This season it should all be about the 1st team squad maybe if things get back to something like normal next season then have a reserve team but not this season .Why bother when no league to play in .

Ayr have the right idea put everything they have into the 1st team squad building a very good squad really thought we would like Ayr gradually add to the squad but no looking like now we are hoping for decent loan signings 

It’s called having the foresight to look at the future and bring through a couple of players for the first team.

It just takes one of these boys to get a big transfer to help the club financially for a couple of years. 

Do you always have to be so negative about our club?

19 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Jesus wept.

I take it all back @SUPERSOUTH Sorry, you're nowhere near the level of this miserable individual.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

To be honest, just because we aren’t running a reserve team doesn’t mean we don’t have the players. Our reserve team last year was made up of youth players from the u18s and squad players from the first team. With no reserve team this year it’s given us the option so far of sending 2 players out on loan. Next year when the reserve league starts up again (assuming it will) we will have a squad again made up of the same type of players. 

35 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

You obviously don't realise that it isn't just a squad of boys playing reserve team football for the fun of it. The club have an education programme in place for them and are still carrying it on next season - even if there's isn't a league to play in. The club deserve massive credit for putting these young lads career prospects first before any cost saving cuts. Maybe it'll pay off and we'll get a few gems through, maybe not, but credit to the club for putting the young men first in their decision making. 

8 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

To be honest, just because we aren’t running a reserve team doesn’t mean we don’t have the players. Our reserve team last year was made up of youth players from the u18s and squad players from the first team. With no reserve team this year it’s given us the option so far of sending 2 players out on loan. Next year when the reserve league starts up again (assuming it will) we will have a squad again made up of the same type of players. 

You could have sent the same players out on loan last season. Not having a Reserve League makes no odds to that. The decision is whether the players have any chance of playing for your own first team or not. If they do then you can't loan them out. They always could go out on loan elsewhere and continue to play for your reserves.

Every chance that when the Lowland League / South of Scotland League come back most of the younger players in our group will go out on loan there. It won't stop them playing with our reserves.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You could have sent the same players out on loan last season. Not having a Reserve League makes no odds to that. The decision is whether the players have any chance of playing for your own first team or not. If they do then you can't loan them out. They always could go out on loan elsewhere and continue to play for your reserves.

Every chance that when the Lowland League / South of Scotland League come back most of the younger players in our group will go out on loan there. It won't stop them playing with our reserves.

I get what you’re saying, but for me, I don’t like loan players playing reserve football for their parent club. I remember a few years back when we had Ryan McGowan on loan from Hearts, they had him play a reserve match the same day we had a midweek match. No surprise he was terrible that night. 

The likes of Ecrepont and Skeoch who have gone to Albion would play every match for reserves as well as being in and around the reserves. Playing a full league campaign for Albion and a reserve league for Ayr would not be beneficial for their development and that’s why I think they’ve gone out on loan. 

Just now, callum-ayr said:

I get what you’re saying, but for me, I don’t like loan players playing reserve football for their parent club. I remember a few years back when we had Ryan McGowan on loan from Hearts, they had him play a reserve match the same day we had a midweek match. No surprise he was terrible that night. 

The likes of Ecrepont and Skeoch who have gone to Albion would play every match for reserves as well as being in and around the reserves. Playing a full league campaign for Albion and a reserve league for Ayr would not be beneficial for their development and that’s why I think they’ve gone out on loan. 

It's not been allowed for a player to play for both clubs within 48 hours for a couple of years. It's in the rules, and first call lies with the senior borrowing team.

It's entirely up to you what to like of course but personally I couldn't disagree more. All of our young players who go out on loan continue to play for the reserves. In fairness, generally none of them have gone out to senior SPFL teams though. If they did the feeling might be different. We tend to use it for the younger end of the squad to get them playing against older players in the Lowland / South leagues.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not been allowed for a player to play for both clubs within 48 hours for a couple of years. It's in the rules, and first call lies with the senior borrowing team.

It's entirely up to you what to like of course but personally I couldn't disagree more. All of our young players who go out on loan continue to play for the reserves. In fairness, generally none of them have gone out to senior SPFL teams though. If they did the feeling might be different. We tend to use it for the younger end of the squad to get them playing against older players in the Lowland / South leagues.

I used to do a little work for the academy and when we had the under 20s team near enough every player was on loan at a junior side, while playing u20s. I agree that was good for them, especially learning the physical side of the game while developing in the development league. I think it’s probably a bit different playing in the league structure now at a league club. I don’t think there will be a right or wrong way, all players will adapt differently. I’m more happy to see players going on loan within the league structure compared to going out on loan to the juniors. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

With Ayr having no reserve team it has not involved releasing any players who would be part of the reserve team , as Calum ayr says all the players who would be involved  are still registered with the academy and available to come into squad , only 2 players have been loaned out and if needed could be recalled in January 

15 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Cammy Bell is another in the loan category too.

Yep remembered that after and was coming back to amend but you beat me to it.

Myles Beerman too for that matter as he said internationals, not Scotland specifically.

13 hours ago, queenslad said:

I think of some of the players I have seen who have moved to a higher level but none plated for international team - Dobbie, A Thomson, Nicky Clark, Ted McMinn

Nicky Clark never played a game in the Premiership till this season with United. He moved to Rangers but his 3 seasons with them were two in the Championship and one in League One. 

Dobbie was damned unlucky not to get capped in his Swansea promotion season. Worse players were but it was in the Levein era and he preferred no strikers and no invention. McFadden couldnt get a game for Scotland under him either.

18 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

I just could not agree less with this. One of the very few natural advantages we have over some of the other teams is our geography. We should be trying to capture the local talent as much as possible. 

Its also one of the few things that gives Queens their local identity. If the entire club only focuses on the first team we are at risk of being nothing more than a bunch of journeymen.

There has been enough success with young players over the years to warrant continuation of these schemes.