The Queen of the South thread

42 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ saying team needs learn to defend better.... GUESS what AJ you've  only signed THREE defenders!!!!! 🙈 & They have turned out to be alot worse and pea hearted compared to last seasons. 

Well Buchanan was not a good signing for you, Falkirk did the right thing in releasing him, I can't imagine he's any better than what you had last year. 

5 hours ago, JessieField said:

The only advantage of getting relegated this season is it looks like the Championship will have horrendous trips to Ross County, Inverness and Dundee next season. We need a new plague to save us.

Versus Peterhead, Cove and (perhaps Forfar)? IDK, ninth this year looks pretty favorable for the matchup with the winner of the League One playoffs, there isn’t much strength there. Given what I saw in the first QoS v Raith match, and the fact we’re holding our own so far, I wouldn't expect QoS to threaten a 10th place finish...unless you duplicate last year’s collapse.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Versus Peterhead, Cove and (perhaps Forfar)? IDK, ninth this year looks pretty favorable for the matchup with the winner of the League One playoffs, there isn’t much strength there. Given what I saw in the first QoS v Raith match, and the fact we’re holding our own so far, I wouldn't expect QoS to threaten a 10th place finish...unless you duplicate last year’s collapse.

Well we're probably going to win the league by a distance, but I think Partick will beat either Queens, Aloa or Arbroath in a play-off.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

After conceding 20 goals in 7 games, it is going to be interesting to see what a collapse looks like.

5 hours ago, Mr X said:
6 hours ago, JessieField said:
The only advantage of getting relegated this season is it looks like the Championship will have horrendous trips to Ross County, Inverness and Dundee next season. We need a new plague to save us.

Have you seen the teams in league One?

Yes, but I'm hopeful of beating them at this point.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Given the extreme financial restrictions all clubs are working under, can you afford to bring more players in during the January window? Is there money available for that?

I don’t think there will be much cash available. However, getting somebody in that can at least make us difficult to beat would be a start.  

We are generally two down before we get any sort of response. That isn’t going to win you many games.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Given the extreme financial restrictions all clubs are working under, can you afford to bring more players in during the January window? Is there money available for that?

I think we will be looking at the loan market,  whether that costs as much as signing players on the books I've really no idea,  we really need a generous parent club to fund the majority of the loanees wages.   Any money available should be used to pay off our manager and assistant. The Board has to decide whether the risk of spending money now will be greater than the cost of relegation. 

16 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think we will be looking at the loan market,  whether that costs as much as signing players on the books I've really no idea,  we really need a generous parent club to fund the majority of the loanees wages.   Any money available should be used to pay off our manager and assistant. The Board has to decide whether the risk of spending money now will be greater than the cost of relegation

This is a common argument but it always depends on if money is actually available.

If no cash is available then that argument is silly nonsense.

49 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I don’t think there will be much cash available. However, getting somebody in that can at least make us difficult to beat would be a start.  

We are generally two down before we get any sort of response. That isn’t going to win you many games.

I would certainly be more concerned if you were able to replace Johnston with David Hopkin, for that exact reason. Organisation and shitfesting is much more important than attacking quality when it comes to surviving in this standard of league. I've no idea how feasible that would be in terms of the costs/Hopkin's interest in taking on another pretty thankless task though.

That said, a big part of the reason why Queens are soft as shite is down to personnel in the centre of the defence and midfield as well. The likes of Buchanan and McKee simply do not have the mentality for a weekly dogfight at this level which is why they dropped out of the division in the first place. Buchanan played one good game for Morton in the torrid second half of the 18-19 campaign: in Grangemouth that led Falkirk to hilariously 'swoop' for him. McKee looks classy against lower league teams and once in a blue moon at this level but is posted missing at all other times.

This is a common argument but it always depends on if money is actually available.
If no cash is available then that argument is silly nonsense.

That’s true. That said we should by now have a big chunk of cash from Livi from the sale of Dykes to QPR. Surely some money should be available.

1 hour ago, MS RR said:

Well we're probably going to win the league by a distance, but I think Partick will beat either Queens, Aloa or Arbroath in a play-off.

Not sure I’d pencil Partick in for the second best team in League One, honestly.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That’s true. That said we should by now have a big chunk of cash from Livi from the sale of Dykes to QPR. Surely some money should be available.

Can't foresee any difficulties in getting money from a straight-up outfit like Livingston tbh.

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yeah, the sell on was a good bit of business.

3 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I think we need a change at board level too.  I have no doubt the Chairman and directors care about the club. However, we have been on the slide for about four or five years now with no sign of it reversing. 

Managers come and go, but the board has been in place all along and must take responsibility too.  Some fresh ideas at the top wouldn’t go amiss. 

What would replace the current board though?

I don't ask that rhetorically, or in particular defence of those currently in place, but it is relevant.

People often ask that question when others press for the removal of a manager.  In reality though, there are always potential alternative managers out there.  However, the same thing can't surely be said of boardroom positions.

And there seems to be no plan, to make us better on park and tbh were not getting any better if it. As I’ve said before this season was always going to be difficult but last season we had basically a clean slate, where we could’ve implemented something. Got some sort of model together to move forward rather than this pish were getting every season. What we have this year, is a lot of players from lower reaches getting a chance FT or at a level they probably didn’t think they’d get. So personally I’d hope they’d be bursting there balls trying to improve and prove there good enough to play at this level and worthy of a new contract or a contract elsewhere. That at that moment, I don’t see, but that could be down to manager or anything. Club need to be more proactive with contracts also for me, when we have a gem we can’t be losing them for nothing like we have done in past.

My hope for this season is we get through it, stay up, a few boys prove themselves to be worthwhile and we end up with a new manager. Then we try move on from there in some sort of way.

10 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

And there seems to be no plan, to make us better on park and tbh were not getting any better if it. As I’ve said before this season was always going to be difficult but last season we had basically a clean slate, where we could’ve implemented something. Got some sort of model together to move forward rather than this pish were getting every season.

Again, I'm not particularly defending the board, but I don't see how we were in any position to "implement something" after getting out of jail last season.

This season remains drenched in uncertainty and always looked like it was going to be.  As a club, we've not made a good job of muddling on the best we can, but I don't think there was really room to attempt anything much more ambitious.