The Queen of the South thread

For me we do have some talent in the side with the likes of Gibson, Nditi and Connelly but from games watched on PPV we look a bit gutless and easy to play against. 

I haven't been to Palmerston since pre pandemic and given it's a 5-6 hour round trip I don't see that changing anytime soon. Our home record remains disgraceful. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

His interview is embarrassing. He picks the team does the tactics and his shape in the first half against Accies like the Inverness game was all over the place. He makes these decisions and has to take some responsibility. He is always blaming everyone else. To say in his interview that Hamilton are a pL side is embarrassing. They are a groups of young players similar to ourselves. Saturday is about getting all the players playing in their Natural positions get Todd and McGrory back in midfield. 

Yes, it's a tough watch at the moment. I have an eight hour (yes, count them) round trip from down south to Palmerston. One or both my boys come with me. Not sure how long they'll be willing to 'waste' every second weekend. Not sure if I can justify the fuel it's costing me!

Like others, we just want him to play the players in their correct positions. Try and play some passing football utilising our own young midfielders.

Of course, it will take our manager to put his hand up and accept he's been getting it wrong so far. Is that likely to happen?!

I've now read a few references to Palmerston being rundown, shambolic or even a dump.  

Is it getting that bad? 

I love Palmerston.  I'd hate it if we ever moved and I'd even be sorry to see it redeveloped that extensively.  I've been frustrated that much of the ground is yet to properly reopen, but otherwise, I wasn't particularly aware of it getting in a state.

Genuine question: What are people getting at here?  

I've now read a few references to Palmerston being rundown, shambolic or even a dump.  
Is it getting that bad? 
I love Palmerston.  I'd hate it if we ever moved and I'd even be sorry to see it redeveloped that extensively.  I've been frustrated that much of the ground is yet to properly reopen, but otherwise, I wasn't particularly aware of it getting in a state.

Thought that myself. I do love Palmerston.

I can only assume it's the state of the place folk are getting at. I've commented before (and someone on here suggested I clean it myself) that the amount of birdshit in the new stand is absolutely embarrassing. The state of the toilets isn't much better. A jet wash machine and some restoration to the toilets wouldn't go a miss and surely wouldn't break the bank either. I'm no commercial manager but surely a local company would even tidy up our toilets in return for an advertising board or two.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is it getting that bad? 

Apart from the playing surface, which is shambolic, I think all Palmerston needs is to be spruced up a bit, ok maybe more than a bit, without necessarily going OTT. A good bit of weeding and painting  all around, the doors at the Terracing turnstiles are rotten and look terrible. adequate lighting is needed behind the East Stand and around turnstile areas. I think The Trust organise an Annual tidy up by volunteers which is commendable, but it really needs a bit of money spent on it and professionals brought in to give the place a right going over. Of course if the team was playing well and getting good results, people might not be so critical  about the state of the Ground. 

34 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is it getting that bad? 

There has been next to zero general maintenance taking place at the stadium for a good few years now and it’s beginning to show.

if you’re on Facebook, like the unofficial Queen of the South Facebook site and you’ll get more information there complete with pictures!!

23 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Apart from the playing surface, which is shambolic, I think all Palmerston needs is to be spruced up a bit, ok maybe more than a bit, without necessarily going OTT. A good bit of weeding and painting  all around, the doors at the Terracing turnstiles are rotten and look terrible. adequate lighting is needed behind the East Stand and around turnstile areas. I think The Trust organise an Annual tidy up by volunteers which is commendable, but it really needs a bit of money spent on it and professionals brought in to give the place a right going over. Of course if the team was playing well and getting good results, people might not be so critical  about the state of the Ground. 

As others have stated the overall appearance of Palmerston is sad and embarrassing these days.

Pictures posted of our D&G neighbours Stair Park puts our ground to shame. 

Also, surely empty bins which aren’t overflowing with rubbish on match day isn’t too much of an ask?!

9 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

As others have stated the overall appearance of Palmerston is sad and embarrassing these days.

Pictures posted of our D&G neighbours Stair Park puts our ground to shame. 

Also, surely empty bins which aren’t overflowing with rubbish on match day isn’t too much of an ask?!

Absolutely, Palmerston is looking very run down these days. There isn’t any cash for the team, so I don’t expect there to be much for the upkeep of the ground. 

I almost never post on here, but I agree with most of what has been said on here lately. I live in California, so can,t get to games.  For the last two seasons I have bought a season ticket, so I can watch the games. For most of that time it has been painful to watch Queens, they are unbelievably bad, to the point where I have second thoughts about renewing my ticket again, which is hard as I love the club and have since I was a wee boy in Lincluden. As others have said It was madness to give AJ a two year contract. I think if any other team looks at his track record this could very well be his last job in football. I think we are certainties for relegation unless a miracle happens.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is it getting that bad? 

There's been a lot of talk about the state of Palmerston on other social media recently. It seems to have been kicked off (or re-ignited) by this album put up by a groundhopper: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=dan.westwell&set=a.10159747436239104.

I have to say I haven't been to Palmy since before the pandemic and I haven't been a regular visitor for over ten years now due to moving around the country. I saw those pictures before I read anything else on social media and I was taken aback by how rough the stadium looks. It's just plain disrepair and lack of care. It's not that there's any single major issue, but in every photo you can see multiple things that just look shabby. Flakey paintwork, dodgy joinery, broken doors, broken seats, weeds, litter, fallen down signs, graffiti, rusty metwalwork, etc, etc. It's maybe not something you would notice if you go regularly, but compared to my memory of Palmerston it's quite striking!

8 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

There's been a lot of talk about the state of Palmerston on other social media recently. It seems to have been kicked off (or re-ignited) by this album put up by a groundhopper: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=dan.westwell&set=a.10159747436239104.

I have to say I haven't been to Palmy since before the pandemic and I haven't been a regular visitor for over ten years now due to moving around the country. I saw those pictures before I read anything else on social media and I was taken aback by how rough the stadium looks. It's just plain disrepair and lack of care. It's not that there's any single major issue, but in every photo you can see multiple things that just look shabby. Flakey paintwork, dodgy joinery, broken doors, broken seats, weeds, litter, fallen down signs, graffiti, rusty metwalwork, etc, etc. It's maybe not something you would notice if you go regularly, but compared to my memory of Palmerston it's quite striking!

Palmerston could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up for sure but in general in that set of photos the only parts that look particularly bad are on the closed Terregles Street Terrace part of the ground which understandably gets very little attention when resources are limited. I'm not sure how the guy got access to that area to take photos on a matchday but he clearly did.

Covid protocols have prevented having a public cleanup in the last two summers too which doesn't help the situation.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Palmerston could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up for sure but in general in that set of photos the only parts that look particularly bad are on the closed Terregles Street Terrace part of the ground which understandably gets very little attention when resources are limited. I'm not sure how the guy got access to that area to take photos on a matchday but he clearly did.

Covid protocols have prevented having a public cleanup in the last two summers too which doesn't help the situation.

Nothing to stop Billy sending in some of his employees to paint and tidy the place up or is he waiting on volunteers to do it again for free ? 

He’ll have a long wait. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Palmerston could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up for sure but in general in that set of photos the only parts that look particularly bad are on the closed Terregles Street Terrace part of the ground which understandably gets very little attention when resources are limited.

I think it shows other disrepair - mouldy roofs and floors, broken signs, rusty fences, flaky paint - but, you're right, it's not every single photo as I had said. I think it may have been a different album that gave that impression - holes in doors, graffiti, overflowing bins, etc.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

1 minute ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

A lot of clubs get fans in and staff join fans in doing work in pre season around stadium. Nice way to bring fans and club together on something.

Surprised club didn't think of it, what with it being free 

2 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

A lot of clubs get fans in and staff join fans in doing work in pre season around stadium. Nice way to bring fans and club together on something.

Surprised club didn't think of it, what with it being free labour.

That’s been done several times before and I’ve helped out many times but won’t being doing it again until the Chairman takes more interest in the stadium. 

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Absolute tripe. Stop walking around with your blue tinted glasses on. Palmerston is an absolute dump these days. 

I’m sure if the local environmental health officer saw the state of the pie shop in the New Stand they would close the place down!!
Bins next to a condiment table that looks like it hasn’t seen a wet cloth in months. Disgusting as well as unhygienic 😡 

23F02CD6-24DB-4DFD-AC0B-ED6CC1F701E7.jpeg

With each passing year it just gets worse. I get that it is a has a special place in every Queens fan’s heart. However, it does need a major renovation or be replaced. 

Regretfully, we don’t have several million quid kicking about to do the full stadium properly. That being the case, doing less than the basics will need to do in the meantime.  

The main stand surely can’t have much more years of service in it. I hope there is a contingency plan for this in medium term at least.

Edited by qos_75