The Queen of the South thread

Agree with this. Biggest drawback of Cameron is that it makes it more likely we'll punt long balls up to him too rather than play to our strengths.

Get that "Doonhammers" edited pronto or you'll receive some backlash.

It's early days but Cameron doesn't look like he'll be banging goals in for us. I wouldn't fancy Junior in a one on one either. Our best hope of a goal recently has been praying for Connolly to come up with some magic.

Our goalscorers tally below. Would it surprise you to learn Roy and Paton (or the source of 54% of our goals so far) were both available for selection on Saturday and yet featured for a combined total of 13 minutes or so. I don't think we have terrible players but AJ certainly hasn't stumbled across a system to get the best out of them yet.

Roy - 8
Connolly - 6
Paton - 5
Junior - 2
Gibson - 2
OG - 1

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Get that "Doonhammers" edited pronto or you'll receive some backlash.

It's early days but Cameron doesn't look like he'll be banging goals in for us. I wouldn't fancy Junior in a one on one either. Our best hope of a goal recently has been praying for Connolly to come up with some magic.

Our goalscorers tally below. Would it surprise you to learn Roy and Paton (or the source of 54% of our goals so far) were both available for selection on Saturday and yet featured for a combined total of 13 minutes or so. I don't think we have terrible players but AJ certainly hasn't stumbled across a system to get the best out of them yet.

Roy - 8
Connolly - 6
Paton - 5
Junior - 2
Gibson - 2
OG - 1

Changed, apologies! Ally Roy I saw a bit of last season playing for Airdrie. He didn't get regular starts but knew where the net was.

Cameron has been a massive disappointment so far really thought he would get us goals and win the ball in the air to create chances 

He has done nothing so far  hopefully with more  game time he will get back to the way he played for Alloa last sesaon 

Edited by Greenacres

4 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Cove Rangers away in the Scottish cup. Exciting and difficult tie. 

Classic cup tie recipe .... Team from the lower league with smattering of good pros and carrying momentum from recent good seasons at home to a side from the league above that's labouring to find any consistent form. Definitely a banana skin job for Queens here, but equally we should be positive and see it as an opportunity to get through to the chance of a much needed money spinning tie against one of the less diddy sides. God knows we've blown plenty such opportunities in recent seasons so we must be due a break soon.

Can ties go to replays this season?

Yet again the weary prospect of another relegation battle to "enjoy".
I make it that 9 of our 11 league games have been decided by a single goal margin. Sadly we're finding a way to lose too many of these. Three wins and 6 defeats in these games. The only ones not single goal margins are a 0-2 loss to Arbroath and the recent 0-0 draw with Morton.

IMG_3863.jpg

None of us with an attachment to Queens can be accused of being success supporters.

I think we all grasp that the mundane and the poor are the things that add definition and weight to any good times that have occasionally rolled round.

My God though - it's getting trying.  We've lost far more often than we've won for several seasons now and it's genuinely getting harder to summon the necessary interest.

I'm probably just being grumpy, but it's starting to feel like some sort of reset is necessary.  I think we all appreciate the difficulty of a new team needing signed each season and the fact that such a thing is necessary for reasons largely beyond the club's control.   It could even be argued that the practice has largely been successful as we've stayed up with one of the smaller budgets and even this time, still sit above the bottom two slots.  By Christ, it's joyless though.

Would relegation, going part-time and reverting back to a grass pitch be the worst developments?  Probably, yes.

It feels like something has to give though, as this is no longer fun.

AJ needs to get a grip, bin his son get WG back to RB or RWB get Nditi at CB he best CB we have, In midfield what has Mcgrory done wrong very consistent in ther anytime he has played better than Liddle... And please please keep yer top goalscorers on when we are losing.... Board made a very rash decision giving him an extra 2 year deal.. Jeezo are they preparing for league 1 again... 🤦‍♂️ 

In terms of a reset, I think a new manager would suffice.

None of us with an attachment to Queens can be accused of being success supporters.
I think we all grasp that the mundane and the poor are the things that add definition and weight to any good times that have occasionally rolled round.
My God though - it's getting trying.  We've lost far more often than we've won for several seasons now and it's genuinely getting harder to summon the necessary interest.

I'm probably just being grumpy, but it's starting to feel like some sort of reset is necessary.  I think we all appreciate the difficulty of a new team needing signed each season and the fact that such a thing is necessary for reasons largely beyond the club's control.   It could even be argued that the practice has largely been successful as we've stayed up with one of the smaller budgets and even this time, still sit above the bottom two slots.  By Christ, it's joyless though.
Would relegation, going part-time and reverting back to a grass pitch be the worst developments?  Probably, yes.
It feels like something has to give though, as this is no longer fun.

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ needs to get a grip, bin his son get WG back to RB or RWB get Nditi at CB he best CB we have, In midfield what has Mcgrory done wrong very consistent in ther anytime he has played better than Liddle... And please please keep yer top goalscorers on when we are losing.... Board made a very rash decision giving him an extra 2 year deal.. Jeezo are they preparing for league 1 again... 🤦‍♂️ 

Well said. AJ is. Afraid no tactics no plan A or B. Narrow diamond today nobody had a clue what they were doing. Our best attacking opinion playing LB. Agree why not play our own player in McGrory and try and develop him he is better than Liddle. Cochrane again non existent second half but again playing in wrong position he is not holding midfielder. Playing Nditi as holding midfielder first half why not drop Debayo and put Nditi Inthe back line. Nditi is our best defender why play him as a midfielder.sorry but Ruben works hard but that's it. Please go with Roy and Paton and keep the ball on the deck.

The most worrying development this season has been our transformation from being a team which looked tidy and competent in the opening few games and was arguably unlucky results wise to a clueless omnishambles totally lacking in ideas going forward and confidence.  The most obvious example being Paton, who has lost his spark and his place in the team. 

The excuse last season was it took time for a new side to gel, but this season a team which showed early signs of promise no longer seems capable of stringing more than two passes together or hitting the target.  Playing players out of position doesn't help (it's more than coincidence that the goals have dried up since Wullie has been moved from his accustomed wide role to accommodate Max), neither does changing formation 15 minutes into a game in response to how the opposition have set up.  To me this comes down to coaching and getting the best out of the squad which is something AJ doesn't seem capable of doing, in fact the more time he is given with these players the worse they seem to be getting. 

Edited by Slipmat

Can only comment based on the result but a big worry is that the last 3 games were against sides who will almost definitely be down the bottom with us and we took a whole 1 point from a possible 9. That's a truly appalling return.

That in itself is worrying but it'll get worse once the Dunfermline board have the sense to sack their imposter of a manager and Dunfermline start to climb the table.