The Queen of the South thread

The stream will include many Rovers fans who would never travel. Can't believe Skyline is giving it "meh" when our attendance, including away fans, was below 1000. That's actually shockingly low and indicates the steady, continual, unmanaged decline of the club in recent years. It wasn't that long ago people talked about our hardcore of 1300, 1500, 1700 who would always go. Now the "hardcore" is measured in three figures and the people involved with the club don't even care. I am sure it will get turned around at some point, but the current trajectory is headed towards oblivion.

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

1300 is still pretty shite tbh.

Maybe. It's pretty typical for what we were getting at home games in the year or two pre-Covid too though.

If you include streaming numbers our home gates aren't particularly different to what they have been for a good few years. Of course it may be that more of the streams are away fans who wouldn't have come otherwise, or expat home fans who couldn't "attend" before and we have lost regular home attendees. It's hard to be sure. We'll only know when streaming ceases, which it presumably will at the end of the season I guess. I suppose the danger is the kind of person who prefers to stream now if they could attend may not return anyway when streaming isn't available.

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Is Max Johnston not getting on too well then?

Had a better game today in midfield had a horrid time recently at RB, Yet his Dad took him off today in prob his best game so far at Queens.... 

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Is Max Johnston not getting on too well then?

Had without doubt the best game of his spell here today, and scored a goal. He was more midfield today having spent most of his time previously at rb/rwb where he's been largely shaky/anonymous, and has been ripped a new one on a few occasions. He  seems to be being shoehorned into the team with other players being moved to accommodate him which doesn't go down well with fans. The points been made a few times that any other player of similar age putting in as many poor performances as he has would have been dropped before now but he seems to be an automatic pick. Hopefully on today's showing his dad has at last found him a position he is comfortable in. 

2 minutes ago, A-Mac said:

Please keep it for international supporters 😢

I was always under the impression that live streaming was allowed for fans living outwith the UK before the pandemic and it would still be available to them  when streaming to fans in Scotland was stopped. 

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, it was horrible weather in the run up to kick off and you can still stream. We had almost 400 streaming it as well as those actually present.

I would love to know how many were ST holders and how many weren't?

If say 100 were ST then that's 3K going into the club just from the other 300 streaming.

Be interesting to see if the club still thinks it's a worthwhile financial investment come end of the season.

Edited by A-Mac

23 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I was always under the impression that live streaming was allowed for fans living outwith the UK before the pandemic and it would still be available to them  when streaming to fans in Scotland was stopped. 

Yep. But before covid there wasn't any streaming at all, so I fear it will be gone again completely.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you include streaming numbers our home gates aren't particularly different to what they have been for a good few years. Of course it may be that more of the streams are away fans who wouldn't have come otherwise, or expat home fans who couldn't "attend" before and we have lost regular home attendees. It's hard to be sure. We'll only know when streaming ceases, which it presumably will at the end of the season I guess. I suppose the danger is the kind of person who prefers to stream now if they could attend may not return anyway when streaming isn't available.

That's not the only way to know, though. There are various ways you could assess the composition of those watching the stream.

You could adjust the privacy terms to allow you to look at users' payment addresses, or add a user address feature when registering for the platform, or have all viewers take a one-question survey to unlock the video, or an optional pop-up survey on sign-in, or use users' email addresses to ask a cross-section  about their status, or cookies to gather location-related data from users browsing activity, or any manner of other ways to find out who's watching the stream.

That would give the club valuable intelligence about what crowd numbers we should budget for, whether the stream is affecting attendances, whether the stream is a net benefit or loss, and no doubt other factors, all of which can be used to make more informed and better decisions for the benefit of the club. 

There was a question at the last AGM about whether the board had a plan and what evidence it was based on. I think the answer was "no" and therefore "none". The fact our crowds are now measured in three figures is one of the more obvious outcomes of that approach. It's weird that the experienced businessmen running our club don't apparently do obvious things like make plans and perform market research. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

7 hours ago, A-Mac said:

Yep. But before covid there wasn't any streaming at all, so I fear it will be gone again completely.

My bad, it was maybe only a few Clubs who already had the setup  in place to stream abroad before Covid who did so. I can understand your concern, but it may be that it's not financially viable to continue the service, it would be nice if it was possible. 

While acknowledging a much better performance yesterday Tinkerman was at it again. Good that he restored Gibson to his more effective RB position but playing Connolly wide right didn't work and is his lad better in midfield than our two best midfielders, Todd and Cochrane who were on the bench?

While acknowledging a much better performance yesterday Tinkerman was at it again. Good that he restored Gibson to his more effective RB position but playing Connolly wide right didn't work and is his lad better in midfield than our two best midfielders, Todd and Cochrane who were on the bench?

McGrory needs to be involved. So how do you go about fitting rest in? And Johnston was pretty effective

14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

My bad, it was maybe only a few Clubs who already had the setup  in place to stream abroad before Covid who did so. I can understand your concern, but it may be that it's not financially viable to continue the service, it would be nice if it was possible. 

We must be losing more money than we’re making from these live streams. Unfortunately ALL games can be watched for absolutely nothing if you’ve one of these fire stick devices. 

We need people through the gates which in turn will see more visiting the club shop , buying programmes , 50/50 draw tickets , food etc. 

I noticed yesterday even the hospitality was poorly attended despite it only being £40. 

Worrying times. 

I think we have to acknowledge that the club currently sits 2nd last in competition and is playing rubbish football for the most part.

Not really enticing anyone to show up if we are being honest.

We must be losing more money than we’re making from these live streams. Unfortunately ALL games can be watched for absolutely nothing if you’ve one of these fire stick devices. 

We need people through the gates which in turn will see more visiting the club shop , buying programmes , 50/50 draw tickets , food etc. 

I noticed yesterday even the hospitality was poorly attended despite it only being £40. 

Worrying times. 

I expect programme sales will take a hit. £4 is a bit steep.

8 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

That's not the only way to know, though. There are various ways you could assess the composition of those watching the stream.

You could adjust the privacy terms to allow you to look at users' payment addresses, or add a user address feature when registering for the platform, or have all viewers take a one-question survey to unlock the video, or an optional pop-up survey on sign-in, or use users' email addresses to ask a cross-section  about their status, or cookies to gather location-related data from users browsing activity, or any manner of other ways to find out who's watching the stream.

That would give the club valuable intelligence about what crowd numbers we should budget for, whether the stream is affecting attendances, whether the stream is a net benefit or loss, and no doubt other factors, all of which can be used to make more informed and better decisions for the benefit of the club. 

There was a question at the last AGM about whether the board had a plan and what evidence it was based on. I think the answer was "no" and therefore "none". The fact our crowds are now measured in three figures is one of the more obvious outcomes of that approach. It's weird that the experienced businessmen running our club don't apparently do obvious things like make plans and perform market research. 

Presumably, you're talking about tracking cookies? Theyve been blocked by major browsers for a while with Chrome looking likely to follow anytime now. We know from trying to block English viewers that any geo data within the UK is incredibly unreliable.

You could get the users address but that doesnt really give you any reliable information about whether or not they would have attended the game. We have many fans based outside of the local area who travel to games regularly and plenty of local based fans who dont, or cant, attend and have been watching the stream.

So, you're really down to asking people. Entirely possible but if you make it mandatory it impacts the user experience (and adds another step into a process that some already have trouble with) if you make it optional the numbers completing it will be pretty low.

There is already a fair amount of data available and there is analysis that can be done eg international v UK fans - but working out how many watching the stream would have attended the game would either involving collecting a large amount of additional data or making a lot of assumptions. 

To be honest, whether the streaming is a net benefit or not theres no actual decision to make. It was a necessity last season, extended into this season to give fans an option while attendances were restricted and it will be gone, in its current form at least, next season. At no point was there ever a decision to be made about whether to continue or not and the decision will be out of our hands for next season.

57 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Worrying times. 

The illegal streams are coming from the SPFL/gambling sites Pixellot feed. That wont stop if the clubs stops its own streaming service. 

We are currently in the process of recruiting three new staff members from the Kickstart Scheme to help in a variety of roles. Not only will this be of benefit to the club, it will offer youngsters the opportunity to work with the club in areas to develop working skills. One of these positions will be to assist the groundsman with maintenance of our four facilities.

Any more news regarding this ?