The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Also worth mentioning large number of former players watching us today. I personally saw Ciaran McKenna, Rico Quitongo, Joe McKee and Euan East. Told also Calvin McGrory and Ruari Paton were there. 

Add Aidan Fitzpatrick, Michael Ruth and Connor Murray to that. 

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Also worth mentioning large number of former players watching us today. I personally saw Ciaran McKenna, Rico Quitongo, Joe McKee and Euan East. Told also Calvin McGrory and Ruari Paton were there. 

1 minute ago, JK_Queens said:

Add Aidan Fitzpatrick, Michael Ruth and Connor Murray to that. 

Suggests a strong camaraderie, which reflects well on our club.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Suspect due to transfer activity so far we'll not see East and McGrory back, two I'd have been happy enough to re-sign.

2 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Suspect due to transfer activity so far we'll not see East and McGrory back, two I'd have been happy enough to re-sign.

Yes, agreed, would have been fine with both of them staying - maybe even more so depending on quality of further signings.

Again, like has been mentioned, I am certainly giving them a few games to get into their stride before getting too worried/ecstatic(!) about the pre- and early season performances.

Daniel Scally played for us as a winger and in my opinion, a pretty mediocre player but someone who could 'do a job' at league two level. He had a chance to go to America at the same time as we needed to get players off the books so he only lasted half a season. Average

Incidentally, we had him on one wing and Nathan Flanagan on the other wing who appeared to play against you today for East Kilbride. Flanagan > Scally although both massively inconsistent like most lower league wingers.

13 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Daniel Scally played for us as a winger and in my opinion, a pretty mediocre player but someone who could 'do a job' at league two level. He had a chance to go to America at the same time as we needed to get players off the books so he only lasted half a season. Average

Incidentally, we had him on one wing and Nathan Flanagan on the other wing who appeared to play against you today for East Kilbride. Flanagan > Scally although both massively inconsistent like most lower league wingers.

Flanagan was very good today. EK's best player.

1 hour ago, JK_Queens said:

Obviously just a pre-season friendly in June, but the poor quality of the trialists was the most disappointing thing for me (and Wilson getting injured again). Number 10 the best out the lot in the second half, although not sure even he looked first team quality. I know who he is but I’ll not name him here. 

Some of the new signings had decent games. McLelland looked decent next to Brydon and vocal when one of the trialists wasn’t pulling his weight tracking back. Houston played well also, as did Mimnaugh. Played a 4-2-3-1 both halfs which I suppose could be an indication of Bartley wanting to move away from the 3 at the back this season. 

Aye McLelland was extremely loud. Is very comfortable on the ball as well which is good to see. Some of his distribution was excellent. And although EK did have a couple of ball breaks that may well have landed at their feet rather than ours I thought him and Brydon did well at the back. Particularly when it was young Finlay at LB and a trialist at the other side. 

I thought Mimnaugh and McGuffie looked very similar - they both looked very good technically and again comfortable on the ball. I think if we're losing they're going to whipping boys though as they did have a lot of time not getting their foot on the ball. 

I thought I heard the 10 being called "Dale" :lol: The young lad (11) was called Jacob. Thought he looked miles off the pace tbh. 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Meh on both tbh, both bang average last year. McGrory I really hoped would kick on but never done anything of note considering how much he struggled for game time under MB though him moving on was inevitable, and east was a bit indifferent albeit still not in a totally familiar position. I’d take him but only cause I feel we’re missing a left hand sided defender to cover for church.

Well for what its worth I thought we were totally outplayed for 80 mins today if they had a decent forward we would have lost by a few. Todd and Wilson hobbling off is not good news. With Wilson it is no surprise that's why I thought we may re-sign McGrory to play that 6 role but time moves on. EK had a way of playing we did not were poor in the middle of the park. Cochrane and Minimaugh were easily bullied in midfield and di not take the game to ek. Brown from Ek had the freedom of the park. The right winger had our full backs on toast both halves. I really hope MB has a couple of rabbits to pul out of the hat as with this squad we will struggle big time. 

13 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Well for what its worth I thought we were totally outplayed for 80 mins today if they had a decent forward we would have lost by a few. 

EK were absolutely the better side but that's pushing it. I can't recall either of our GKs being seriously tested tbh. 

I am not remotely bothered about the result given the fact that we fielded two different teams but don’t think it’s asking too much to expect a lot more than we witnessed today. In many years watching Queens I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an underwhelming array of trialists. EK were much better than us on the day and moved the ball about impressively and cut us open time after time. I am sure that MB will be well aware of the shortcomings up front but players with some sort of goal threat a huge priority.

2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I am not remotely bothered about the result given the fact that we fielded two different teams but don’t think it’s asking too much to expect a lot more than we witnessed today. In many years watching Queens I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an underwhelming array of trialists. EK were much better than us on the day and moved the ball about impressively and cut us open time after time. I am sure that MB will be well aware of the shortcomings up front but players with some sort of goal threat a huge priority.

I dunno. I can recall us having a good few trialists a few years back (either Connolly or Scott) and they were dugmeat. Not that any of today's looked at all impressive but back then it felt like there were loads of them. 

Again, I maybe missed all these golden chances EK had (I was behind the goal and had the black net as well as the poor view to contend with) but I didn't think either goalkeeper was particularly worked. They had a couple of blocks/chances that never fell for them in the second half but I didn't think they cut us open again and again. I thought the defensive side* was far more impressive than our attacking side today. 

*Particularly when we had a youth and a trialist in defence each half. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I dunno. I can recall us having a good few trialists a few years back (either Connolly or Scott) and they were dugmeat. Not that any of today's looked at all impressive but back then it felt like there were loads of them. 

Again, I maybe missed all these golden chances EK had (I was behind the goal and had the black net as well as the poor view to contend with) but I didn't think either goalkeeper was particularly worked. They had a couple of blocks/chances that never fell for them in the second half but I didn't think they cut us open again and again. I thought the defensive side* was far more impressive than our attacking side today. 

*Particularly when we had a youth and a trialist in defence each half. 

Trialists are always more miss than hit, especially at this level. Not losing sleep, I’m imagining Marvin has it under control. Seems more than calm about things. So much so he’s in Romania at moment 

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It matters so little that the manager wasn't even there. 

It's a fitness exercise. 

He was on a coaching licence course I believe, it wasn't as if he just decided not to go because it didn't matter. He did say that these type of games are about fitness levels, players gelling, getting to know each other, etc., but I'm sure he'll be interested to know how certain players performed. 

17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can't wait to see if the doom-mongers will bother their arses to give praise when it's due this season or if they'll only frequent this place after a bad result. 

in fairness, there's been plenty scope for visits in recent years.