The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Marvin is always saying it is a squad game Gibson is a very important part of that .He is still very young plenty of time to develop with us.

so it’s okay to play loan players from other clubs before our own youngsters, no wonder ours don’t get very far during their careers. 

Have we any players on loan that specifically play in Gibson's position? Is a loan player keeping him out? Oops, MazzyStar got in first with that question.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

4 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

Marvin is always saying it is a squad game Gibson is a very important part of that .He is still very young plenty of time to develop with us.

so it’s okay to play loan players from other clubs before our own youngsters, no wonder ours don’t get very far during their careers. 

You play your best side. Just because someone is local should have absolutely no bearing on whether they play or not. Our youngsters will go far during their careers if they're good enough. 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You play your best side. Just because someone is local should have absolutely no bearing on whether they play or not. Our youngsters will go far during their careers if they're good enough. 

Last season nearly everyone was saying Gibson was our best player and he was definitely our best prospect!

10 minutes ago, bod said:

Last season nearly everyone was saying Gibson was our best player and he was definitely our best prospect!

Well Paton was our best player but Gibson was very good and he's still a bright prospect. We've won the last 3 games though so IMO you dont mess with that until it stops working. 

I wish they'd sort out this Hibby manager business sooner rather than later.  It's not that I remotely think Marvin will be a serious contender for that Hibs position due to his lack of experience, it's more the consequential knock-on merry-go-round effect that bothers me.  For instance if Hibs were to tempt Martindale from Livi, then there'd be a strong chance that Livi would come tempting Marvin as their replacement for Martindale.  Of course Martindale/Livi might not be the only such scenario that could develop, there could be others that could similarly result in a temptation to Marvin somewhere down the line.  Always the inevitable problem of being low down in the "food chain" whenever we encounter any hint of some kind of successful performance.

| only hope our contract with Marvin will necessitate some kind of payment should he be tempted away.  That said, in order to attract Marvin to Palmy in the first place I'm sure there was probably equally a gentleman's agreement that we'd not stand in his way should better offers come his way.

Guess my glass was "half empty" this morning ...

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I wish they'd sort out this Hibby manager business sooner rather than later.  It's not that I remotely think Marvin will be a serious contender for that Hibs position due to his lack of experience, it's more the consequential knock-on merry-go-round effect that bothers me.  For instance if Hibs were to tempt Martindale from Livi, then there'd be a strong chance that Livi would come tempting Marvin as their replacement for Martindale.  Of course Martindale/Livi might not be the only such scenario that could develop, there could be others that could similarly result in a temptation to Marvin somewhere down the line.  Always the inevitable problem of being low down in the "food chain" whenever we encounter any hint of some kind of successful performance.

| only hope our contract with Marvin will necessitate some kind of payment should he be tempted away.  That said, in order to attract Marvin to Palmy in the first place I'm sure there was probably equally a gentleman's agreement that we'd not stand in his way should better offers come his way.

Guess my glass was "half empty" this morning ...

He's won 3 games at a lowly level with a full time club.

Relax until he's achieved something more notable than that. 

He'd be mad to go to Hibs the now. I still think he'll end up there. But he doesn't want to make the mistake AJ did of running before he could walk. His chance will come (if he does well with us) as Hibs aren't exactly renowned for having long term managers. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He'd be mad to go to Hibs the now. I still think he'll end up there. But he doesn't want to make the mistake AJ did of running before he could walk. His chance will come (if he does well with us) as Hibs aren't exactly renowned for having long term managers. 

I agree with that. AJ ruined his career going to Killie, Manager of the Year with us, to work for a trigger happy chairman and club in turmoil. If I was Marv get us promoted, work with players, fans and directors that emote with him. Then see us challenging for a play off spot in a higher league next year. Then he is marketable. My fear is that Hibs can’t get what they want or have spent the cash on Johnston’s payoff and they go for him. If offered it or a trickle down job at Livi he might struggle not to take it.

its a long shot but I’m concerned. In reality I’m even more worried that it takes our eye off the ball prior to the window closing or impacts our preparations for next Saturday. 

3 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

its a long shot but I’m concerned. In reality I’m even more worried that it takes our eye off the ball prior to the window closing or impacts our preparations for next Saturday. 

I think people are getting a bit worked up over nothing here. I don't think Bartley is even on any list of prospective candidates. Even on the very, very slim possibility that Hibs will even consider him given his (lack of) Managerial experience, he's hopefully professional enough to concentrate on the job he is currently employed in. 

For the avoidance of doubt, and to clarify my earlier post (given some of the responses above) ... I don't for a moment think that Marvin would be considered for the Hibs post; he's clearly too inexperienced for that.  Instead, my concern related to the "chain reaction" that might be initiated were Hibs to pull a manager from somewhere above us in the Scottish leagues, and whereby that affected club then seeks to find a promising replacement for their poached manager etc etc etc. ... ie its not Hibs we might have to worry about, but another club.

Edited by Otis Blue

Gibson scored for the reserves today I see.  My only worry about him not getting much game time at the moment is that Marvin may spend the whole season developing him and then another club snaps him up next summer before we get to see the best of him, cameo appearances aside.

That said, McKechnie and Walker have been two of our stand-out players on each occasion I've seen us this season so it would be harsh to bench either of them at this stage just to make way for Gibson.

After the breakthrough season Gibson had last year, I'm sure he'd have expected to really kick on this. Don't think he'll be enamoured with the way things have started for himself this season.

I'm sure he'll be getting good guidance for his father.

2 hours ago, bod said:

After the breakthrough season Gibson had last year, I'm sure he'd have expected to really kick on this. Don't think he'll be enamoured with the way things have started for himself this season.

Like "Don't shop at Tesco's son" 

5 hours ago, bod said:

I would agree with you if he hadn’t  missed most of this pre-season due to both illness and injury. 

33 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Aye but suggesting sinister forces is far more exciting than acknowledging a lack of a pre-season.

Well, hadn't realised I had. Having read back over my post I don't see anything at all untoward about it.

If you want to twist it to suit some weired conspiracy you may have, then carry on.