The Queen of the South thread

9 hours ago, Frankie S said:

If they’re not prepared to sack him, then they should back him. Conversely, if they’re not prepared to back him, then they should sack him.

I don't think the choice is as stark as that.

Backing him further will definitely cost money, but will carry no guarantees of reaching the play-offs.  Even if it did, the chances of us then getting up would still be fairly remote.

Sacking him will also definitely cost money, while also carrying no guarantees of an upturn.

Doing neither does not create the worst of both worlds.  The worst would involve a further big outlay of cash with no resultant improvement that's immediate or radical enough to change our circumstances.  That's surely an outcome that nobody finds difficult to foresee.

It is all pretty depressing, but I see the case for sitting tight.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Backing him further will definitely cost money, but will carry no guarantees of reaching the play-offs.  Even if it did, the chances of us then getting up would still be fairly remote.

Sacking him will also definitely cost money, while also carrying no guarantees of an upturn.

Doing neither does not create the worst of both worlds.  The worst would involve a further big outlay of cash with no resultant improvement that's immediate or radical enough to change our circumstances.  That's surely an outcome that nobody finds difficult to foresee.

Depressingly I think you are right. I think the pressure is on to get rid of any deadwood we can this window and try to get two or 3 in to keep the fans interested or gates could hit 700-800

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Depressingly I think you are right. I think the pressure is on to get rid of any deadwood we can this window and try to get two or 3 in to keep the fans interested or gates could hit 700-800

There's plenty of deadwood for sure and most know who the biggest piece is!

Anyone who genuinely believe the board have decided to write this year off and go for a push next season are living in cloud cuckoo land. 

The bod are doing what they do best, Nothing. 

23 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How much money will it cost us NOT signing anyone? 

For a start it almost certainly means the Bartley project is doomed so that's a years contract we'll have to find to pay him and Murray off. 

Then there's the fan base who are already at the end of their tether. That's guaranteed to fall even further as well as putting off any future fans. 

Next season yet  another new manger, another new team building exercise and another new season of hoping we'll do something all for the sake of not bringing in a few players on a roughly 4 month contract to look like we have some kind of ambition at even the very least and at best which is far from unrealistic make a top 4. Perish the thought of our multi millionaire chairman actually showing some ambition. 

It's time folk woke up. Even this Queen's page is dead compared to what it used to be. Folk are just fed up. 

6 minutes ago, Kunter said:

How much money will it cost us NOT signing anyone? 

For a start it almost certainly means the Bartley project is doomed so that's a years contract we'll have to find to pay him and Murray off. 

Then there's the fan base who are already at the end of their tether. That's guaranteed to fall even further as well as putting off any future fans. 

Next season yet  another new manger, another new team building exercise and another new season of hoping we'll do something all for the sake of not bringing in a few players on a roughly 4 month contract to look like we have some kind of ambition at even the very least and at best which is far from unrealistic make a top 4. Perish the thought of our multi millionaire chairman actually showing some ambition. 

It's time folk woke up. Even this Queen's page is dead compared to what it used to be. Folk are just fed up. 

I'm not going to repeat my post, but given where we now find ourselves, I can see why there's a reluctance to both pay off Bartley, and to entrust him with more money.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not going to repeat my post, but given where we now find ourselves, I can see why there's a reluctance to both pay off Bartley, and to entrust him with more money.

You don't need to repeat yourself I'm merely pointing out the consequences of it. Johnston was the prime example.

24 minutes ago, Kunter said:

You don't need to repeat yourself I'm merely pointing out the consequences of it. Johnston was the prime example.

He wasn't a prime example of this.

When we stuck with him, we were in danger of relegation and duly went down. I know we've dropped a division but right now, we're not in similar danger. 

If we were in a position where a cash outlay had a good chance of getting us up, I'd maybe see it differently, but that's not the case either.  

Seriously, nobody laments how unrewarding it is, and recently has been, to be a Queens fan more than me.  I just don't see chucking out loads of money at this stage (whether on binning Bartley, or recruiting a few players) as likely enough to enhance us significantly enough in the short term, to justify it. 

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When we stuck with him, we were in danger of relegation and duly went down. I know we've dropped a division but right now, we're not in similar danger. 

If we were in a position where a cash outlay had a good chance of getting us up, I'd maybe see it differently, but that's not the case either.  

Seriously, nobody laments how unrewarding it is, and recently has been, to be a Queens fan more than me.  I just don't see chucking out loads of money at this stage (whether on binning Bartley, or recruiting a few players) as likely enough to enhance us significantly enough in the short term, to justify it. 

I was all for sacking Bartley a while back but, grim as it is, I'd tend agree with this now.

Sad place to be but there it is.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Johnston wasn't backed in the January transfer window and was sacked at the end of the season. 

Bartley isn't being backed in the January transfer window and .........(we wait and see) 

The whole point of a transfer window is to strengthen a squad wether that be to gain promotion, avoid relegation or other. 

I don't get why spending money is such a dirty word where Queens are concerned. 

Giving Bartley the chance in the transfer window might be a disaster yes or it could work the other way as well and kick start our season and get us into a promotion spot.  Unless he's given the opportunity to bring some players in we'll never know but if we don't do anything then we can expect more of the same which only saves us the cost of how many players we would otherwise bring in for 4 months. 

46 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Johnston wasn't backed in the January transfer window and was sacked at the end of the season. 

Bartley isn't being backed in the January transfer window and .........(we wait and see) 

The whole point of a transfer window is to strengthen a squad wether that be to gain promotion, avoid relegation or other

I don't get why spending money is such a dirty word where Queens are concerned. 

Giving Bartley the chance in the transfer window might be a disaster yes or it could work the other way as well and kick start our season and get us into a promotion spot.  Unless he's given the opportunity to bring some players in we'll never know but if we don't do anything then we can expect more of the same which only saves us the cost of how many players we would otherwise bring in for 4 months. 

I hear what you are saying but I'd be keen to know what you see as the "other" option in the whole point to spending money bit.

I think the reluctance of many to thinking spending cash now has a real gain is that Bartley's recruitment largely doesn't inspire confidence. You are of course correct that a team making the last play off spot can indeed get promotion just as Queens Park did a couple of years back. Many of us just can't see that happening  with our current crop of players even with a few decent additions.

We have a big squad for this level and the boards position that we need to offload  some of the dross before getting new blood in isn't unreasonable IMHO. That's not to say I'm a fan of the current board. I'm not.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I hear what you are saying but I'd be keen to know what you see as the "other" option in the whole point to spending money bit.

I think the reluctance of many to thinking spending cash now has a real gain is that Bartley's recruitment largely doesn't inspire confidence. You are of course correct that a team making the last play off spot can indeed get promotion just as Queens Park did a couple of years back. Many of us just can't see that happening  with our current crop of players even with a few decent additions.

We have a big squad for this level and the boards position that we need to offload  some of the dross before getting new blood in isn't unreasonable IMHO. That's not to say I'm a fan of the current board. I'm not.

Imo let him bring 3 or 4 new players in. We only have to pay them 4 months wages. If it turns the team around then it saves Bartley's job, saves us having to pay him off and lays foundations for next season. 

If it goes wrong then yes it's cost us money but it's going to do that anyway paying the manger and assistant off come the end of the season and then rebuilding again next season. 

There is  clearly a lack of communication between board and manger as two weeks ago he was saying he was hoping to bring a few players in then last week he said it's effectively one out one in. So he blew the entire budget at the start of the season but no one told him that's your lot. That's pretty shit going and shows no business plan. 

Yes I understand the logic of seeing out the season but it's not going to be for the benefit of a promotion push next season, not with this shower in charge. 

Bad decisions are costing the club. Naysmith, Johnston, Gibson and now looking like Bartley. 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

There is  clearly a lack of communication between board and manger as two weeks ago he was saying he was hoping to bring a few players in then last week he said it's effectively one out one in. So he blew the entire budget at the start of the season but no one told him that's your lot. That's pretty shit going and shows no business plan. 

...or

there might have been some money available for a manager who gave the impression that he knew what he was doing, perhaps for a title push, or to cement a lofty league position and to prepare for the rigours of the play-offs themselves.

Deciding against giving this chancer more funds does not strike me as evidence of a lack of planning.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Deciding against giving this chancer more funds does not strike me as evidence of a lack of planning.

Telling the manager after he had announced publicly he was hoping to bring in some players does. 

I’m always very critical of the BoD but not really on this occasion. What is the point in signing 3/4 players when Bartley hasn’t shown that he can get the best out of the squad he has?

I personally don’t see the point in giving him a few players as even if we did make the play offs, we would just embarrass ourselves as we have no chance of going up. If Bartley was to get binned, it should have been a month ago, so a new manager could get a plan for the window, but since that hasn’t happened I’d say we may as well just stick till the end of the season and evaluate things then.

16 hours ago, Kunter said:

The main similarity with Bartley and Johnston was they were both given the job of building a team and duly fucked it up. Come January the fans seemed to think they'd only make a pigs ear of recruiting again so weren't screaming at the BoD to let the manager bring players in.