The Queen of the South thread

58 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

In other words, you fancy him and have given him more credit than he deserves. Even now you can't be objective. He has no oratory skills whatsoever nor have i seen evidence of this supposed intelligence he has over our previous managers. If you actually listen to his interviews, he drones on in a monotone until he gets bored or the interview runs out of time. At the beginning of the season, when his message was positive, i didn't hear any conviction or passion in his voice. It was as if he was reading the ingredients on a pack of biscuits. George Galloway is an example of a talented orator. He could read a list of ingredients and make it sound like poetry. I know i'd switch off if i had to listen to Bartley droning on in training everyday.

Oh yes hes not even a good orator, it’s like listening to Michael Beale, Humza and Sturgeon rolled into one. At least we have just a gobshite Irishman to bare each week. 

I think Bartley is a fantastic manger. He spends every week coming up with game plan, then speaks to the players individually and collectively on how to implement this wonderful game plan. He will even practice the routines with our players who are not playing as the opposition.

What he fails to see is that the opposition manager, teams and players will have their own game plan that won't match what he has told his player to do. In interview he talks about situational plays in area of the field,  how does he know what the opposition player will do, players should have the freedom to express themselves when situations arise so as a game is unpredictable. 

It seems MB wants to micro manager everything and this brings fear into our players and makes them play safe and backwards 

1 hour ago, queenslad said:

I think Bartley is a fantastic manger. He spends every week coming up with game plan, then speaks to the players individually and collectively on how to implement this wonderful game plan. He will even practice the routines with our players who are not playing as the opposition.

What he fails to see is that the opposition manager, teams and players will have their own game plan that won't match what he has told his player to do. In interview he talks about situational plays in area of the field,  how does he know what the opposition player will do, players should have the freedom to express themselves when situations arise so as a game is unpredictable. 

It seems MB wants to micro manager everything and this brings fear into our players and makes them play safe and backwards 

Yes, it's this idea that if he dreams up given scenarios and tells individuals how to behave in them, then the match will unfold along his desired lines.

Obviously, there's a place for that type of targeted coaching, but to listen to Bartley talk, it sounds as if that's pretty much all his management involves, coupled with risible recruitment of course.

He really is wildly out of his depth.

I sometimes wonder if his apparent conviction and confidence masks an insecurity about his abilities.  I'm not convinced of it though.

5 minutes ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

I know I’m a bit late, but how did Jaze Kabia get on with you guys? As he looks a player above our level when injury free, every game he has participated in he has made a difference.

He didn't feature enough for us to give a fair assessment tbh. He looked ok from the brief spell he was here and I'd have been happy for him to return. 

Hopefully McCall brings him with him in the summer...

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He didn't feature enough for us to give a fair assessment tbh. He looked ok from the brief spell he was here and I'd have been happy for him to return. 

Hopefully McCall brings him with him in the summer...

Do you think you will be McCall’s next team? Can’t fault the man if he keeps us up, however some of his team selections have been baffling to say the least.

1 minute ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Do you think you will be McCall’s next team? Can’t fault the man if he keeps us up, however some of his team selections have been baffling to say the least.

It was tongue-in-cheek really. We've been complaining about not having an experienced manager for a while which McCall ticks. And given his stock isn't going to be very high the now/we're not going to be a draw for an experienced manager then it wouldn't surprise me if they don't at least communicate with each other. 

I wasn't overly impressed with McCall the last time tbh but he put down some decent roots and IMO was a big factor in our run to the final. Given the shite we've suffered under AJ, Gibson and Bartley I'd be delighted with McCall next season.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was tongue-in-cheek really. We've been complaining about not having an experienced manager for a while which McCall ticks. And given his stock isn't going to be very high the now/we're not going to be a draw for an experienced manager then it wouldn't surprise me if they don't at least communicate with each other. 

I wasn't overly impressed with McCall the last time tbh but he put down some decent roots and IMO was a big factor in our run to the final. Given the shite we've suffered under AJ, Gibson and Bartley I'd be delighted with McCall next season.

Good luck with McCall if you do get him, every club he has went to he has spent a bundle of cash, so I hope you guys will have enough money in the bank to keep him happy.

I'm starting to wonder when exactly the BOD reached their decision to collectively walk away en masse.   It's extremely unlikely that they would only have first considered and discussed this option and made their minds up over the weekend prior to the AGM.  Looking in from the outside there seems to have been no attempt made to identify successors, nor to replace a failing manager who, let's face it, should have been dismissed in October/November if the season was to be rescued and a top-four / secure mid-table place secured. 

We're now at the stage where if they were to sack Bartley, any incoming manager would have maybe 3 or 4 matches at most to turn things around given that the recruitment and installation of a new manager usually takes 3-4 weeks, so it's far too late to do anything about Bartley now.

The whole situation reeks of them having washed their hands of the club in the autumn / early winter period, and the longer they have let a shambolic situation continue the less attractive the club are becoming to new investors, or potential managers for that matter.  This season has gravitated from a position of optimism, to one of disappointment, then frustration, and now downright worry, but still they appear to be sitting on their hands doing nothing except counting down the days until they depart.  For example, what is the contingency plan if, say in six weeks or so, no new board is in place

Allowing the club to potentially slide down two divisions in three seasons and not replacing dud manager(s) is a clear dereliction of duty to both shareholders and fans.  And yet they have the nerve to call themselves "fans" too...

Just had to get that off my chest. 😡

If our BoD suddenly grow a set and dismiss our charlatan of a manager, who would supporters want in as caretaker to guide us potentially through the relegation play-offs?
For example, would AJ’s excellent division one pedigree & availability make him a decent candidate for this short-term gig? Just til the end of season mind - not suggesting for a second that he gets a deal for next season - that ship has long sailed.

Suggeted names would be good, rather than just outrage at my suggestion ! 😃

2 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

If our BoD suddenly grow a set and dismiss our charlatan of a manager, who would supporters want in as caretaker to guide us potentially through the relegation play-offs?
For example, would AJ’s excellent division one pedigree & availability make him a decent candidate for this short-term gig? Just til the end of season mind - not suggesting for a second that he gets a deal for next season - that ship has long sailed.

Suggeted names would be good, rather than just outrage at my suggestion ! 😃

Wouldn't want AJ anywhere near us! As I say, no surprise he's not found another club yet. 

You'd imagine Todd will take charge for the playoffs. I don't think we'd need a great manager in to get us playing better. We just need someone in who knows the players's capabilities and who doesn't criticise them after every game. If Todd is respected within the group then I expect the side would perform for him for the short-term. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wouldn't want AJ anywhere near us! As I say, no surprise he's not found another club yet. 

You'd imagine Todd will take charge for the playoffs. I don't think we'd need a great manager in to get us playing better. We just need someone in who knows the players's capabilities and who doesn't criticise them after every game. If Todd is respected within the group then I expect the side would perform for him for the short-term. 

Mm, im not sure i see anyone with the necessary leadership attributes in our current squad tbh. Maybe Todd or Reilly at a stretch. Didnt Todd give up the captaincy earlier this season? Would maybe suggest he doesn’t want that kind of responsibility?

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I'm starting to wonder when exactly the BOD reached their decision to collectively walk away en masse.   It's extremely unlikely that they would only have first considered and discussed this option and made their minds up over the weekend prior to the AGM.  Looking in from the outside there seems to have been no attempt made to identify successors, nor to replace a failing manager who, let's face it, should have been dismissed in October/November if the season was to be rescued and a top-four / secure mid-table place secured. 

We're now at the stage where if they were to sack Bartley, any incoming manager would have maybe 3 or 4 matches at most to turn things around given that the recruitment and installation of a new manager usually takes 3-4 weeks, so it's far too late to do anything about Bartley now.

The whole situation reeks of them having washed their hands of the club in the autumn / early winter period, and the longer they have let a shambolic situation continue the less attractive the club are becoming to new investors, or potential managers for that matter.  This season has gravitated from a position of optimism, to one of disappointment, then frustration, and now downright worry, but still they appear to be sitting on their hands doing nothing except counting down the days until they depart.  For example, what is the contingency plan if, say in six weeks or so, no new board is in place

Allowing the club to potentially slide down two divisions in three seasons and not replacing dud manager(s) is a clear dereliction of duty to both shareholders and fans.  And yet they have the nerve to call themselves "fans" too...

Just had to get that off my chest. 😡

Don’t blame you for that rant at all. I pretty much agree with you

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yup. Would be my choice 

10 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Mm, im not sure i see anyone with the necessary leadership attributes in our current squad tbh. Maybe Todd or Reilly at a stretch. Didnt Todd give up the captaincy earlier this season? Would maybe suggest he doesn’t want that kind of responsibility?

Me either tbh. I just think Bartley will flee if we finish 9th and realistically there won't be time to hire an actual manager. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Me either tbh. I just think Bartley will flee if we finish 9th and realistically there won't be time to hire an actual manager. 

I honestly can't see Bartley resigning at any point.  Remember - none of it is his fault.

If he was going to fall on his sword, he's had ample opportunity before now.   To be honest, I don't really blame him for that bit.  He's clutching a contract with another year on it after this season.

He needs to be sacked.

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I honestly can't see Bartley resigning at any point.  Remember - none of it is his fault.

If he was going to fall on his sword, he's had ample opportunity before now.   To be honest, I don't really blame him for that bit.  He's clutching a contract with another year on it after this season.

He needs to be sacked.

I guess we will (likely next week) find out soon whether the rumours are true about the reduced compensation when we finish outside the play offs.

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He needs to be sacked.

Yep I don't see any way that he'll walk away. 

Last time we ended up in the play offs under Naysmith, he was sacked and there was time to hire an actual manager.

That's not to say it'll happen again though.