The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Third home league win in a row. Something we managed to do a whole 0 times last season. Our lack of improvement since the Bartley era is starting to really frustrate me...

If you include last season, it is the 5th home league win in a row. The first time Queens have done that since March/April 2015. It ended up being 6 in a row including the first game of the following season.
Queens have actually won the last six home games in a row against League 1 opponents (4 if you just want to include this season).
And the score in all six games has either been 2-0 or 2-1.

Interesting interview from Murphy, particularly when he replied to Sandra's comment about fan concerns with "Yep and the fans will have concerns we pass the ball and don't go too long and then probably be concern when we go too long and don't pass the ball' (words to that effect). Have to agree with him here. I'm not defending the building from the back approach by us as we can put ourselves in trouble at times. But for me the issue isn't the approach, it's our lack of urgency to get the ball moving. If we hugged the touchlines and someone dropped from midfield it might give us more success. For me I'm all for this approach than hoofing it up the park and almost certainly losing possession. 

There was an outstanding moment yesterday when Lyon took the long ball approach from the goal kick, we (obviously) lost it after it went into the air (the wind not helping), Reilly got the ball and thankfully ballooned it over. The very next goal kick Lyon took the ball again and a guy down from me, with no hint of sarcasm, shouted "Hoof it!!!". WTF do some people watch at Palmerston? 

While I'm ranting - I think I commented a few weeks back that some folk in our support must go to Palmerston to be miserable. At 1-1 yesterday there were the usual individual negative shouts and complaints towards our players. I commented after the game though that as much as that quietened down after we took the lead, I couldn't think of many times there we individual shouts of encouragement. I'm nowhere near a happy clapper but ffs if you're going to dish out abuse to your own players surely you should be able to shout encouragement as well? 

Edited by 19QOS19

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Interesting interview from Murphy, particularly when he replied to Sandra's comment about fan concerns with "Yep and the fans will have concerns we pass the ball and don't go too long and then probably be concern when we go too long and don't pass the ball' (words to that effect). Have to agree with him here. I'm not defending the building from the back approach by us as we can put ourselves in trouble at times. But for me the issue isn't the approach, it's our lack of urgency to get the ball moving. If we hugged the touchlines and someone dropped from midfield it might give us more success. For me I'm all for this approach than hoofing it up the park and almost certainly losing possession. 

There was an outstanding moment yesterday when Lyon took the long ball approach from the goal kick, we (obviously) lost it after it went into the air (the wind not helping), Reilly got the ball and thankfully ballooned it over. The very next goal kick Lyon took the ball again and a guy down from me, with no hint of sarcasm, shouted "Hoof it!!!". WTF do some people watch at Palmerston? 

While I'm ranting - I think I commented a few weeks back that some folk in our support must go to Palmerston to be miserable. At 1-1 yesterday there were the usual individual negative shouts and complaints towards our players. I commented after the game though that as much as that quietened down after we took the lead, I couldn't think of many times there we individual shouts of encouragement. I'm nowhere near a happy clapper but ffs if you're going to dish out abuse to your own players surely you should be able to shout encouragement as well? 

Agreed and where has the youngsters gone? Really think we need to improve matchday atmosphere. Just flat imho

On another note has the match announcer left? 

1 hour ago, 84yards said:

Agreed and where has the youngsters gone? Really think we need to improve matchday atmosphere. Just flat imho

On another note has the match announcer left? 

Not sure if there was a problem with the PA mic, although the music seemed to play ok, but no team lineups read out yesterday, that I heard anyway, half time scores and 50/50 draw couldn't be heard or weren't given and Queens half-time sub wasn't announced either.  Announcer seemed to do ok with the other subs but that "Queen of the South" song unfortunately made a reappearance before the start.

Plenty of youngsters running about but the so called "young team" seem to have abandoned Palmerston although they were in attendance for the Annan game. Being a grumpy old bassard I don't miss the drum.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

On 15/09/2024 at 13:55, 19QOS19 said:

I must admit that I have seen no evidence whatsoever in any of our games that the painfully slow build up from the back is working to our advantage. On Saturday we got ourselves into repeated trouble by playing up to 5/6 passes deep in our own half and ending up back where we started or with Douglas or Hannah as the "out ball" in a tight position where they looked very uncomfortable. That to me is "false possession". Clearly if Stewart can play short to a colleague who can run 20/30yards unchallenged and "pick a pass" -that build up from the back makes total sense but the midfield playmaker coming to take short goal kicks from the GK or take the goal kick himself just looks a flawed tactic. Everybody in my immediate vicinity in the main stand were commenting negatively on this tactic which is hardly surprising because the supporters could see that it was not working.

Contrast our second half strategy - where we used the height and physicality of McIntosh and Dickensen to good advantage. Many long balls played forward quickly with these guys either holding them up or flicking balls on to McKechnie and Kennedy. Our attacks were quick, decisive and led to several really good chances.

Murphy is understandably a bit p***kly about any negativity but sometimes you just have to be realistic and change course when a tactic isn't working. One dimensional slow build ups from the back are so easy to play against - almost every opponent so far has pressed us high up the pitch and caused us problems. 

The supporters can see that Murphy is making a difference - Lyon's goal from the corner was a brilliant routine straight off the training ground. Build up from the back if the opposition is giving us unchallenged possession and a short pass to a defender is risk free but lets not persist with futile square passing across our back 4 just because Man City are good at it and the tactic is in vogue as a result.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must admit that I have seen no evidence whatsoever in any of our games that the painfully slow build up from the back is working to our advantage. On Saturday we got ourselves into repeated trouble by playing up to 5/6 passes deep in our own half and ending up back where we started or with Douglas or Hannah as the "out ball" in a tight position where they looked very uncomfortable. That to me is "false possession". Clearly if Stewart can play short to a colleague who can run 20/30yards unchallenged and "pick a pass" -that build up from the back makes total sense but the midfield playmaker coming to take short goal kicks from the GK or take the goal kick himself just looks a flawed tactic. Everybody in my immediate vicinity in the main stand were commenting negatively on this tactic which is hardly surprising because the supporters could see that it was not working.*

Contrast our second half strategy - where we used the height and physicality of McIntosh and Dickensen to good advantage. Many long balls played forward quickly with these guys either holding them up or flicking balls on to McKechnie and Kennedy. Our attacks were quick, decisive and led to several really good chances.

Murphy is understandably a bit p***kly about any negativity but sometimes you just have to be realistic and change course when a tactic isn't working. One dimensional slow build ups from the back are so easy to play against - almost every opponent so far has pressed us high up the pitch and caused us problems. 

The supporters can see that Murphy is making a difference - Lyon's goal from the corner was a brilliant routine straight off the training ground. Build up from the back if the opposition is giving us unchallenged possession and a short pass to a defender is risk free but lets not persist with futile square passing across our back 4 just because Man City are good at it and the tactic is in vogue as a result.

As I say, I'm not trying to defend it but the issue isn't the tactic, it's the way in which we're doing it. It's far too slow as you say but I'd still rather we had the ball than not. 

We couldn't use the second half approach in the first half because of the wind. Surely you and everyone around you witnessed the ball being caught in the air any time we did go long in the first half? (Though my recollection of it wasn't a constant long ball approach either) Not to mention we gifted Reilly a great chance as well. Some of our players may have been uncomfortable in possession (personally I didn't think that) but I can't recall us gifting Arbroath any guilt edged chances as a result. 

* I hope they were as vocal when we started to do better in the second half 🤔

On 15/09/2024 at 13:55, 19QOS19 said:

... While I'm ranting - I think I commented a few weeks back that some folk in our support must go to Palmerston to be miserable. At 1-1 yesterday there were the usual individual negative shouts and complaints towards our players. I commented after the game though that as much as that quietened down after we took the lead, I couldn't think of many times there we individual shouts of encouragement. I'm nowhere near a happy clapper but ffs if you're going to dish out abuse to your own players surely you should be able to shout encouragement as well? 

This ain't a new thing at Palmy though.  When I first started going as a young lad we used to always stand on the Terregles St terrace first half and an adult in our group used to moan constantly at everything that happened on the pitch.  It was so bloody depressing - in the end we had to move away from the guy.  I like to see my team win now and again but I don't see the point in directing abuse at the players, especially if they're working their socks off (don't expect them to be Real Madrid standard after all) so I shout encouragement mostly and especially try to do so for the younger players ... it must be tough trying hard yet getting dogs abuse from the punters all game long.  Some folk just like a good moan I guess, must be part of the Scottish psyche ...

On 17/09/2024 at 07:13, Rjc-1988 said:

It's also the case that practice on the training ground is one thing but to master a new style of play you have to try it, fail a bit, and improve in a real world scenario. It's very possible that's what's happening and Murphy doesn't want the players' capacity to learn impeded by a barrage of criticism at this early stage.