The Queen of the South thread

50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Serious question - We're 1 game into the second quarter and you've been all over our shit results/performances - that's absolutely fair enough. But given you were a Bartley fan until about a fortnight before he was sacked and we were at the very best under his reign as good as we've been so far this season (though I'd say shitter) is there a reason you're suddenly such a doom-monger? 

Is this just your schtick from now on or are you genuinely related/a pal of Bartley? 

Don’t be silly. I’m just reacting to what I saw. Today was as bad as anything I saw last season. 2-3 shots on goal and square passes. Murphy needs to change it to get results. It’s not a disaster by any means yet as we are 3 points off top but we will win nothing not scoring in 6 competitive games and if this trend isn’t stopped we could be adrift before potentially important striking options return.  It’s not doom mongering but just a view shared by the fans at today’s game and seems like the majority of the fans who have posted today. 

Murphy has been unlucky with injuries ( as we were a lot last season) but he needs to modify his boring style some way to get goals and win games. 

I find it odd that his interviews are a mix of honest analysis and then bizarre comments like ‘ we were really good today’ , Kennedy was ‘ outstanding’ and Doherty ‘excellent’. He seems unique in that. 

I’m baffled by your obsession with an ex manager when, if you had been there today, you would have seen that it’s an honest reflection of how bad we were and a concern we need to do better. 

Put simply that was honking today, we’ve lost 7 goals in two games and not scored in 6 away. Pardon me for saying it’s up to Murphy to prove he can get us back on track. 

2 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Don’t be silly. I’m just reacting to what I saw. Today was as bad as anything I saw last season. 2-3 shots on goal and square passes. Murphy needs to change it to get results. It’s not a disaster by any means yet as we are 3 points off top but we will win nothing not scoring in 6 competitive games and if this trend isn’t stopped we could be adrift before potentially important striking options return.  It’s not doom mongering but just a view shared by the fans at today’s game and seems like the majority of the fans who have posted today. 

Murphy has been unlucky with injuries ( as we were a lot last season) but he needs to modify his boring style some way to get goals and win games. 

I find it odd that his interviews are a mix of honest analysis and then bizarre comments like ‘ we were really good today’ , Kennedy was ‘ outstanding’ and Doherty ‘excellent’. He seems unique in that. 

I’m baffled by your obsession with an ex manager when, if you had been there today, you would have seen that it’s an honest reflection of how bad we were and a concern we need to do better. 

Put simply that was honking today, we’ve lost 7 goals in two games and not scored in 6 away. Pardon me for saying it’s up to Murphy to prove he can get us back on track. 

I've not defended today and if this was a one off from you I wouldn't even be asking the question. You haven't answered it though. Bartley was probably the worst manager in our recent history and yet you defended him until the death. You were literally the last person on this forum to accept he was hopeless. You've went from happy clapping him to being all over Murphy any time we perform badly. 

I'm not sure how you can go suddenly from accepting shite week after week under Bartley to being so negative right off the bat this season. 

I think the passing sideways/out of defence style of play is probably hammered into managers when they take their badges. I think it has its place but needs to be allied with players running with the ball, taking on players and beating their man. 

This is the issue with Scotland s approach as well. Hence why I wonder if it is a product of the Scottish coach training set up.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've not defended today and if this was a one off from you I wouldn't even be asking the question. You haven't answered it though. Bartley was probably the worst manager in our recent history and yet you defended him until the death. You were literally the last person on this forum to accept he was hopeless. You've went from happy clapping him to being all over Murphy any time we perform badly. 

I'm not sure how you can go suddenly from accepting shite week after week under Bartley to being so negative right off the bat this season. 

I don’t know what your point is. I’ve never met Bartley and to be frank he is just a past manager. When we were good last year I said so. When we were bad I said so. I also try and give managers a chance BUT when they doggedly persist in tactics/ formations that don’t work I will say so. This year our performance at 14 points out of 10 games is mediocre. I’m not going to repeat what I said above as the point is I havent had a go at Murphy personally per se as I didn’t do with Bartley but he needs to change things. Despite on paper a better defence and midfield and some better results at home he hasn’t put together a team that can score enough goals and if we don’t fix that we won’t go up. Is that simple enough for you to understand? You haven’t quite grasped that this is a notice board where people can have differing views have you. If we have a rubbish performance or to or if we play well people an express a view. 

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pointless engaging with you. I’m bored with this.  Let’s see if Murphy can fix this. We have 3 winnable games incoming. Let’s see where we are after that. 

It’s obvious from Murphy’s post match interview from yesterday that he clearly sees what the issues are. Whether he can cone up with the solutions remains to be seen. 
IMHO it’s way better than under Bartley but thus far not good enough. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

On 05/08/2023 at 19:40, HighlandQueen said:

Sorry for Marvin as he really wanted a good start. 

I blame the defence ( apart from Houston) in the first half and Todd. 
their marking, pace and general awareness were shocking and Todd’s passback cost us. 

On 06/08/2023 at 10:19, HighlandQueen said:

Just watched the low lights from yesterday. As I said down to two things, defence and Todd. 

Sadly Todd again displayed his patchy form. He looked tired and off it. I think we have better. 

I see what Marv is trying to do with good passing from the back but unless we can execute well ( see yesterday) or can be much quicker up the park with real movement from midfield and forwards it will be easy for the opposition to nullify us by fouling or getting men behind the ball. 

I still feel we have a potentially great manager and ability to at least make the playoffs but yesterday can’t happen again.

On 02/09/2023 at 19:33, HighlandQueen said:

I still believe in Marv but he has to sort this defence as we will win nothing giving away 2 goals or more time after time. 

On 16/09/2023 at 19:29, HighlandQueen said:

Tough place to come and expected a defeat as Falkirk look to be championship material. No criticism for me of Bartleys selection and remember with 2 sub breaks he had to be sure he was doing the right thing for his final batch of subs. It’s worked before bringing McKay on but personally I wouldn’t ever play him again as he is a disaster. 

Onwards and upwards. We will finish 3rd or 4th. Mediocre start to the season but the Alloa and Montrose games have hurt us much more than this. Need a win against Hamilton. 

On 02/10/2023 at 04:00, HighlandQueen said:

Excellent post. I felt him hurting in his interview. Give Marv a chance. I’m gutted as much as anyone but I like his approach, smart guy and it would be insanity to suggest any managerial change. He has also been incedibly unlucky with injuries. Top 4 was always our target and we will get there. It is a results business and we need them but the players have to step up too

On 07/10/2023 at 16:54, HighlandQueen said:

I wasn’t there today but still 5 key players out injured. Give him a chance to turn it around in the next quarter. Very disappointing start though. We must have the worse home form of any club in Britain over the last 3 years

On 07/10/2023 at 17:23, HighlandQueen said:

Intelligent and committed guy. 

On 07/10/2023 at 18:42, HighlandQueen said:

I feel that just lambasting poor Marv is not the answer. I think the cause of our 6 year malaise may lie deeper and be more fundamental.

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I don’t know what your point is. I’ve never met Bartley and to be frank he is just a past manager. When we were good last year I said so. When we were bad I said so. I also try and give managers a chance BUT when they doggedly persist in tactics/ formations that don’t work I will say so. This year our performance at 14 points out of 10 games is mediocre. I’m not going to repeat what I said above as the point is I havent had a go at Murphy personally per se as I didn’t do with Bartley but he needs to change things. Despite on paper a better defence and midfield and some better results at home he hasn’t put together a team that can score enough goals and if we don’t fix that we won’t go up. Is that simple enough for you to understand? You haven’t quite grasped that this is a notice board where people can have differing views have you. If we have a rubbish performance or to or if we play well people an express a view. 

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Pointless engaging with you. I’m bored with this.  Let’s see if Murphy can fix this. We have 3 winnable games incoming. Let’s see where we are after that. 

From the defeats after this stage last season. Don't kid yourself on you weren't a lot more forgiving of Bartley. As I say, that's absolutely fine. But to go from that to being all over our current manager is bizarre to say the least. You either know Bartley personally or you got bored of being positive last season and have decided to go the completely opposite way this season. 

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It’s obvious from Murphy’s post match interview from yesterday that he clearly sees what the issues are. Whether he can cone up with the solutions remains to be seen. 
IMHO it’s way better than under Bartley but thus far not good enough. 

Murphy like the rest of us can see our problem but has he the players to sort it .

I have no idea where the goals are coming from the worrying thing is neither does Murphy .

Mentioned our 2 young loan signings you would be asking a lot to expect them to get us the goals we need even when fit which will be months away .

Murphy has to get it right for the Annan game it already feels like a must win game for us.

52 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

... Murphy has to get it right for the Annan game it already feels like a must win game for us.

Bit melodramatic for the second match of Q2, no?

I'd say it's a great opportunity to steady the ship and get some points back on the board, but of course Gibson's gonna see it that way too.

Sadly I can't get down for this so teuchter TV will have to do. I can see this being "neoni - neoni" though given our current prowess up front. 😐

Edited by Otis Blue

11 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

It’s definitely not a must win but in terms on trying to keep any semblance of feel good about the club I’d say it’s pretty important.

To me, it’s a must not lose. Making the play-offs are a must given the FT status and assembled squad. If Annan were to win they wouldn’t go above us but we’d be closer to the bottom than the top. I don’t think that’s anywhere good enough.

It’s an incredibly tight league and I think it’ll remain that way right through to May. Therefore, keeping in the top half until January (where a goal scoring forward may be found…somewhere…and the squad will, hopefully, be better aligned/familiar with each other and systems being employed) is essential.

That said, I don’t have a good feeling about Saturday but it should be a game we should be winning. I can see it being 0-0. Hoping this seasons flat spot is over October and October only. 

Good to see that Dickenson and Church were in the reserves starting line-up yesterday.  Hopefully both came through the game unscathed and aren't too far away from returning to first team action.

Dickenson scored, but we lost 1-3.

Queen of the South: Jay Hogarth, Euan Ross, Daniel Church, Ben Johnstone, Niall Rogerson, Benjamin Luissint, Josh Walker, Kyle Doherty, Harry McLinden, Brennan Dickenson, Pharrell Willis.
Subs: Mark Thomson, Joe Thomson, Cameron Edgar, Matt Hall, Lennon Kerr, Alex O’Hagan, Stevie Harkness, Rhilay Walls.