The Queen of the South thread

In the holding role just in front of the defence why not in an emergency? It's hardly taking them out of their depth! Slattery and mcshane would surely be sufficient cover? Burns, McKenna, young, slattery,mcguffie, mcshane ( if he signs) is a decent selection of centre midfield cover. Similarly upfront we have Paton,lyle,Russell, and Reilly so I'm not sure why you think we're short in that dpt?

If you think McShane, Slattery or even McGuffie are good enough to provide regular cover in the centre of midfield - or more importantly competition for places - in the first division, then we'll have to agree to disagree. We have plenty of players who can play different positions in an emergency - McKenna for example has played very well in the centre of defence, yet we still signed Dowie - the point is about competition and quality cover.

I think we can add playing Durnan or Dowie in a holding role to the agree to disagree too

Again, as I said, if McIntyre wants to play one striker then we dont need cover there. If, however, he wants to play with 2 strikers then we need a fourth in the squad.

If you think McShane, Slattery or even McGuffie are good enough to provide regular cover in the centre of midfield - or more importantly competition for places - in the first division, then we'll have to agree to disagree. We have plenty of players who can play different positions in an emergency - McKenna for example has played very well in the centre of defence, yet we still signed Dowie - the point is about competition and quality cover.

I think we can add playing Durnan or Dowie in a holding role to the agree to disagree too

Again, as I said, if McIntyre wants to play one striker then we dont need cover there. If, however, he wants to play with 2 strikers then we need a fourth in the squad.

So back to my point, on one games viewing is the number 4 better than what we've got as cover?

Riiiight. Theres absolutely no point in carrying on a conversation if you cant explain yourself properly.

Lets just pretend for a minute that you are right, what relevance does it have to the point, which was the areas of the squad that need strengthening depend on the formation. If we play with three central midfielders (which we would in both your versions of the formation) then we dont have sufficient, quality, cover in that area.

I think it's you that needs to explain yourself!

I stated that at Annan we played one formation which was different to the one we used yesterday.

I asked you to show me were I said Danny and Paton were not playing as wingers and you haven't.

I've never mentioned that the squad did or didn't need strengthened.

So we know he is called Kevin, he is American and seemingly played for Stirling Uni?

Kevin the American with the great big long surname ending in ski, according to some!

I think it's you that needs to explain yourself!

I stated that at Annan we played one formation which was different to the one we used yesterday.

I asked you to show me were I said Danny and Paton were not playing as wingers and you haven't.

I've never mentioned that the squad did or didn't need strengthened.

I think Ive explained myself pretty well in the last post. Ive highlighted which players were playing where, who their counterparts were in the other game. How the formations might have looked different with different players and suggested that the formation itself is fluid depending on possession.

All you've done is repeat your claim that the formations were different. Im afraid that isnt explaining yourself.

I didnt claim you said Carmichael and Paton werent playing as wingers. I asked if that what was you meant.

Again, I havent commented on your opinion on the squad needing strengthened.

Edited by Mr X

Riiiight. Theres absolutely no point in carrying on a conversation if you cant explain yourself properly.

Lets just pretend for a minute that you are right, what relevance does it have to the point, which was the areas of the squad that need strengthening depend on the formation. If we play with three central midfielders (which we would in both your versions of the formation) then we dont have sufficient, quality, cover in that area.

Of course, youre not right. The two formations were the same. The actual positions of the pitch where the players were standing when you happened to look up might have been slightly different, but then the formation adjust depending on whether youre attacking or defending. Against Annan, we did so little defending that I doubt the two wide players ever had cause to drop a bit deeper. And, as I said, McShane was supposed to be playing the same holding role he just didnt do it as well, or sit quite as deep.

Doesnt change the fact that in both games we've played with a back four, a holding midfielder, two other central midfielders, two wingers and a lone striker.

Well of course I won't be if my opinion is different from yours!

Edited to say, that's what these sites are for, different people viewing their different opinions. Long may they continue. :)

Edited by Hawk

Well of course I won't be if my opinion is different from yours!

Edited to say, that's what these sites are for, different people viewing their different opinions. Long may they continue. :)

Indeed :)

Do you agree with my final sentence, though, about the players used in both games? Thats really the key point, I guess, as that dictates where the squad is weakest.

If we agree there are three central midfielders, then that means we have 3 players competing for 2 centre defender places, 3 strikers competing for one strikers place and 3 central midfielders competing for 3 central midfield places.

Come In Number 4!!!!
We really need a decent Queen Of The South website as what's out there in cyberworld currently doesn't offer much, especially when trying to find out who the mystery trialist who had a good game for your club is.

Kevin The American.
Whatever his surname is, and whoever he proves to be, he is and will always be known as .......
Kevin The American!!!

Come In Number 4!!!!

We really need a decent Queen Of The South website as what's out there in cyberworld currently doesn't offer much, especially when trying to find out who the mystery trialist who had a good game for your club is.

Kevin The American.

Whatever his surname is, and whoever he proves to be, he is and will always be known as .......

Kevin The American!!!

Don't think management want to publicise the player's name for obvious reasons.

Come In Number 4!!!!

Kevin The American.

Kevin The American!!!

Why would the official site publicise trialist names? No club does that.

Nothing wrong with the official site at all imo.

Could this trialist be Kevin Kerr who plays for Pittsburgh Riverhounds in America. Remember hearing his name as a Scottish talent in Germany so looked him up and now he plays in America. Not good with facial recognition so cant tell if he was our trialist

This is an article on him http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3631416/Kev-wants-a-home-post.html

Edited by football maniac

Dowie has played in the holding defence role before to great effect in fairness, obviously not for Queens but it was a position I really liked him I at Dunfermline.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

[quote name="DUMFRIES_CREW" post="7545303" timestamp=

[/quote

Trust me it was mcbride

Was it your guide dog who told you it was Kevin McBride ? Best thing to do is book an appointment for Specsavers immediately. Just seen the photo and the guy couldnt look less like Kevin Mcbride.

Could this trialist be Kevin Kerr who plays for Pittsburgh Riverhounds in America. Remember hearing his name as a Scottish talent in Germany so looked him up and now he plays in America. Not good with facial recognition so cant tell if he was our trialist

This is an article on him http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3631416/Kev-wants-a-home-post.html

Going by that picture, definitely not

Dowie has played in the holding defence role before to great effect in fairness, obviously not for Queens but it was a position I really liked him I at Dunfermline.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

In that case, its definitely a bad idea :P