The Queen of the South thread

The defending wasnt great, I totally agree. However, he didnt really seem to put much of a challenge in on Harkins for the first and, Im sorry, but any keeper who gets chipped while standing on his 6 yard line has to shoulder, at least, some of the blame no matter how good the shot.

Seriously?

I wouldn't apportion a single iota of blame to Antell on the second goal. It was a magnificent chip from Teale and he hadn't a hope with it. He might I suppose have done better with the Harkins goal but so might the two or three defenders Harkins waltzed past first. I thought generally Antell did well on Wednesday and certainly got an opportunity to show more involvement than he has in the previous three games.

I think it's worth remembering that Billy Dodds worked with Antell last season at East Fife and probably knows more about him than any of us.

So here we are on the eve of a new season. How does everyone think we're shaping up and what are your hopes/fears?

Although it was fun last year (away games in particular) sometimes the football was almost secondary to having a laugh and a carry-on, safe in the knowledge we would likely win regardless. One of the most enjoyable results was the last home game against East Fife were we snatched a draw from nowhere. So I'm very much looking forward to having games with a competitive edge back and enjoying the feeling of an unexpected win.

Player-wise I've no complaints. AJ's parting gift was to sign up the majority of last season's squad. I'm intrigued to see Russell as I don't know much about him, but he comes highly rated. I think Paton could be a really exciting player for us now that he's had a pre-season behind him. I really liked him last year, very direct and attacking.

Judging by the reports from our friendlies McKenna has been getting used in a more advanced role. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops as his improvement under Johnston was incredible adding a fantastic range of passing and discipline to his game.

The main negative I can see is the possibility of Higgins at left back. I'm not overly concerned about the goalkeeper. It's natural he'll be under more scrutiny than most as he is an unknown quantity to the fans.

Seriously?

I wouldn't apportion a single iota of blame to Antell on the second goal. It was a magnificent chip from Teale and he hadn't a hope with it. He might I suppose have done better with the Harkins goal but so might the two or three defenders Harkins waltzed past first. I thought generally Antell did well on Wednesday and certainly got an opportunity to show more involvement than he has in the previous three games.

I think it's worth remembering that Billy Dodds worked with Antell last season at East Fife and probably knows more about him than any of us.

Maybe I'll change my mind if we see footage, but my initial thought was that his positioning wasnt great, which allowed him to be lobbed. Im not for a minute suggesting he could have got to the actual lob itself.

I dont see how the defenders are particularly relevant. The saints defence absolutely gifted a one-on-one chance to Reilly, which the keeper saved. Isnt that, basically, what keepers are there for? To prevent goals the defenders couldnt?

So here we are on the eve of a new season. How does everyone think we're shaping up and what are your hopes/fears?

Although it was fun last year (away games in particular) sometimes the football was almost secondary to having a laugh and a carry-on, safe in the knowledge we would likely win regardless. One of the most enjoyable results was the last home game against East Fife were we snatched a draw from nowhere. So I'm very much looking forward to having games with a competitive edge back and enjoying the feeling of an unexpected win.

Player-wise I've no complaints. AJ's parting gift was to sign up the majority of last season's squad. I'm intrigued to see Russell as I don't know much about him, but he comes highly rated. I think Paton could be a really exciting player for us now that he's had a pre-season behind him. I really liked him last year, very direct and attacking.

Judging by the reports from our friendlies McKenna has been getting used in a more advanced role. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops as his improvement under Johnston was incredible adding a fantastic range of passing and discipline to his game.

The main negative I can see is the possibility of Higgins at left back. I'm not overly concerned about the goalkeeper. It's natural he'll be under more scrutiny than most as he is an unknown quantity to the fans.

I would agree with all of that, especially about Paton. Like you, Im concerned that Higgins will play at left back. My biggest concern, which is connected, is that Dowie will always play, no matter what.

Fairly minor complaints though. Really looking forward to next season

So I'm very much looking forward to having games with a competitive edge back and enjoying the feeling of an unexpected win.

Very much this. I enjoyed the cup ties, but for the most part, our league campaign was dull despite some great performances. I honestly did find it boring and I'm looking forward to points again becoming precious.

wonder if there is any cash left in the pot for any more signings before the league starts?

If not, we have got a very good balanced squad from what I have seen over the last couple of weeks.

A few games playing together for the 1st 11 can only improve the team.

Well if this Kevin bloke signs then I reckon that will be the last piece of business we do. If he signs then we will have 17 players who I would consider 1st teamers. This means that if everyone is fit then an established star won't even make the squad. I haven't even included Orsi, McShane and Slattery in this 17 so in total we have 20 players fighting for a place. Adding subs to the team I stated earlier I reckon our bench will be Atkinson, Durnan, McGuffie, Reilly and Russell. That will mean Kevin won't even feature in some squads when everyone is fit, but I reckon him and Young will be rotated such that either they are in the team or out the squad completely

Erm, do I know you?

There's a chance that I'll be able to do highlights from the video our other cameraman took.

As Mr X said I thought you were someone else, meant to post as much last night. Didn't realise you had two cameramen.

Queens played some really good football yesterday. Thought there passing game was brilliant. The no 4 trialist looked good as did Andy Dowie. Keeper was untested by a poor hearts side. Think we might need an other striker in as lyle might not be the answer in the first division. Unless Russell plays the centre forward role or Reilly. Think St Mirren will give us more to think about than hearts did. Cant see that hearts team pulling back from minus 15 points. Who was the guy doing the fitness warm up was it Flannigan ?

Do you still think Lyle won't be the answer for this division after his 2 goals against St Mirren ?

Well if this Kevin bloke signs then I reckon that will be the last piece of business we do. If he signs then we will have 17 players who I would consider 1st teamers. This means that if everyone is fit then an established star won't even make the squad. I haven't even included Orsi, McShane and Slattery in this 17 so in total we have 20 players fighting for a place. Adding subs to the team I stated earlier I reckon our bench will be Atkinson, Durnan, McGuffie, Reilly and Russell. That will mean Kevin won't even feature in some squads when everyone is fit, but I reckon him and Young will be rotated such that either they are in the team or out the squad completely

Queens are trying to sort out a visa for Kevin the American .......

So here we are on the eve of a new season. How does everyone think we're shaping up and what are your hopes/fears?Although it was fun last year (away games in particular) sometimes the football was almost secondary to having a laugh and a carry-on, safe in the knowledge we would likely win regardless. One of the most enjoyable results was the last home game against East Fife were we snatched a draw from nowhere. So I'm very much looking forward to having games with a competitive edge back and enjoying the feeling of an unexpected win.Player-wise I've no complaints. AJ's parting gift was to sign up the majority of last season's squad. I'm intrigued to see Russell as I don't know much about him, but he comes highly rated. I think Paton could be a really exciting player for us now that he's had a pre-season behind him. I really liked him last year, very direct and attacking.Judging by the reports from our friendlies McKenna has been getting used in a more advanced role. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops as his improvement under Johnston was incredible adding a fantastic range of passing and discipline to his game.The main negative I can see is the possibility of Higgins at left back. I'm not overly concerned about the goalkeeper. It's natural he'll be under more scrutiny than most as he is an unknown quantity to the fans.

This

An excellent post Palmy_Cammy .......

I fear many already are going to make our new goalkeeper the scapegoat for any defeat :(

Edited by the_vortex

Queens are trying to sort out a visa for Kevin the American .......

I hope they are successful.

He will not be granted a visa automatically as he does not fulfil the criteria.

Queens will have to argue that he is good enough to bring something to the Scottish (Championship) game.

Interestingly, Jason Scotland was denied a visa when Dundee United in the SPL lost an appeal.

However, when St Johnstone in the First division appealed a few weeks later the appeal was successful. It was decided that he would make a significant contribution to the First Division whereas he wouldn't have in the SPL.

Edited by MacWatt

I hope they are successful.

He will not be granted a visa automatically as he does not fulfil the criteria.

Queens will have to argue that he is good enough to bring something to the Scottish (Championship) game.

Interestingly, Jason Scotland was denied a visa when Dundee United in the SPL lost an appeal.

However, when St Johnstone in the First division appealed a few weeks later the appeal was successful.  It was decided that he would make a significant contribution to the First Division whereas he wouldn't have in the SPL.

Interesting that so many are desperate for the yankee to sign after just one game and in a position we have plenty of cover. Can't comment on him as I was night shift.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Interesting that so many are desperate for the yankee to sign after just one game and in a position we have plenty of cover. Can't comment on him as I was night shift.

It was discussed quite a lot at the time. Personally, I dont think we have enough, quality, cover in the centre of midfield if McIntyre is going to play 3 there. It means Young, Burns and McKenna starting with only McShane, Slattery or someone out of position like McGuffie or Mitchell for cover. Thats ok for emergency cover, but Id like to see another, better, midfielder come in to provide some genuine competition.

Guest Flash

He will not be granted a visa automatically ...

Queens will have to argue that he is good enough to bring something to the Scottish (Championship) game.

It is a pity Scott McLaughlin didn't need a visa.

It was discussed quite a lot at the time. Personally, I dont think we have enough, quality, cover in the centre of midfield if McIntyre is going to play 3 there. It means Young, Burns and McKenna starting with only McShane, Slattery or someone out of position like McGuffie or Mitchell for cover. Thats ok for emergency cover, but Id like to see another, better, midfielder come in to provide some  genuine competition.

Fair enough . We can only guess on the evidence so far in what way JM will line up his team now the 'real' games start . Pre season is for trying things out and McIntyre will have a fair idea now what he considers works and what doesn't. Not really sure what to expect of Spartans tomorrow except that the holders will be going through.

Your use of a pejorative term suggests some distaste for the young man or just for Americans in general?

First look at the new pitch and I have no worries at all about it. We were able to zip the ball about very well------McKenna's range of passing and general display was superb , even taking into account of the weaker opposition than normal ------ The odd time they got through, I thought the defence looked shaky ( and I don't include the keeper in this ).--------All in all, a comfortable day at the office