The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

I like that line-up for its mix of surnames, first names and tabloidesque nicknames.

Should just try to do it on tabloidesque nicknames. I've had a go.

Ants

Mitch Dowser Higgy Holts

Deek

Burnsy Kendo

Dancer Pates

Del

Subs Splatters, Gav, Guff, Atko, Rusky

Should just try to do it on tabloidesque nicknames. I've had a go.

Ants

Mitch Dowser Higgy Holts

Deek

Burnsy Kendo

Dancer Pates

Del

Subs Splatters, Gav, Guff, Atko, Rusky

Like it.

It's good to see 'Splatters' getting revived - probably my favourite Queens nickname, even if it was an accident. I see you've also switched Del's 'Higgo' into 'Higgy' - a bold move, but one I approve of.

'Kendo' is your finest work though. I think we could get him photographed with some 'Kendo' mintcake for the Daily Record, should we get a big team in the Cup.

Guest Flash

Like it.

It's good to see 'Splatters' getting revived - probably my favourite Queens nickname, even if it was an accident. I see you've also switched Del's 'Higgo' into 'Higgy' - a bold move, but one I approve of.

'Kendo' is your finest work though. I think we could get him photographed with some 'Kendo' mintcake for the Daily Record, should we get a big team in the Cup.

Cheers.

I was thinking more along the lines of Kendo Nagasaki, the masked wrestler. You might not remember him, but I'm sure Dickie Davies will.

Cheers.

I was thinking more along the lines of Kendo Nagasaki, the masked wrestler. You might not remember him, but I'm sure Dickie Davies will.

Oh yes I do, as will Dickie.

The Kendo Mintcake thing reminded me of some stupid "Chewin' The Fat" sketch where a couple of guys who work somewhere like Comet cosy up to a guy named Kenneth.

Ken becomes Kendo, becomes Minty, becomes Mincyboy.

I think it's got potential.

Like it.

Sadly however for this fine work, McKenna's nickname is actually "Stegs".

As for the others, Mitch, Dowser, Higgy, Del, Gav and Guff are all correct. It's Holty not Holts. Burner not Burnsy. Derek Young is known as "Desi" and Russell is "Beanie".

I've no idea about Antell yet. I think Carmichael just gets "Dan". Never heard Michael Paton referred to by a nickname either, which isn't to say he doesn't have one.

As for the others, Mitch, Dowser, Higgy, Del, Gav and Guff are all correct. It's Holty not Holts. Burner not Burnsy. Derek Young is known as "Desi" and Russell is "Beanie".

I've no idea about Antell yet. I think Carmichael just gets "Dan". Never heard Michael Paton referred to by a nickname either, which isn't to say he doesn't have one.

What about Splatters? If he's not known by his peers as Splatters, I'll be deeply disappointed.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest Flash

Not surprised I got them wrong because I made some of them up. Astonished that Dowser is actually for real.

Paton should be "Place".

Not surprised I got them wrong because I made some of them up. Astonished that Dowser is actually for real.

Paton should be "Place".

Remember, we're talking about footballers here.

I think that your original "Pates" is far more likely.

Ian McShane is clearly Lovejoy also, but much prefer Ian McShanes other famous work to it, which would be Swearagain.

There was a terrible early 80s film starring Ian McShane as a bed-hopping footballer. They cut it together with scenes from the 1979 League Cup final between Forest and Southampton.

In the game itself, Peach scored a Peach.

Ian McShane is clearly Lovejoy also, but much prefer Ian McShanes other famous work to it, which would be Swearagain.

Noticed when Jim McIntyre called him back to the bench on Saturday when he wanted to send him on as sub shouted "Macca" down to touchline to him. I'm not sure I've ever actually heard anyone call him "Lovejoy".

Noticed when Jim McIntyre called him back to the bench on Saturday when he wanted to send him on as sub shouted "Macca" down to touchline to him. I'm not sure I've ever actually heard anyone call him "Lovejoy".

Footballers are crap at nicknames. I don't know why they insist on using them all the time.

Did Nicky Clark not get called Desi last year ? I saw him get called it on twitter a few times. Only revance I can think of is Des Clarke comedian and radio presenter.