The Queen of the South thread

Why is Dowie back playing ?

Surely Higgins is the better player.

This playing one up front just does not work for us

You have Reilly running about from one player to the other.

We MUST gamble and get a big striker in someone who can win the ball in the air and hold it up.

Gemmill of Stenhousemuir is the perfect example

He is like a bigger and better player than Holmes.

Even if we have to pay a transfer fee we must do it as we must stay in this league.

If we don,t want to go down the big striker route then Jamie Longworth at Stranraer is well worth spending a bit of money to get him.

The cheap option that we will likely go down is get a under 20 S.P.L. player in on loan no better than we have just now

Could you drop it, please, with this "snobs" line? It's pretty disrespectful to all concerned and undermines whatever point you may be trying to make. Just because your opinion flys in the face of current and commonly-held beliefs does not make everyone who contradicts you a "football snob."

Secondly, you may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head by claiming that "on a cold winters afternoon in some Scottish football ground I want to watch a style of football that is fast tempo and attack minded." It's exactly because we play football in this country in the winter - and often on sodden, turnip-field pitches to boot - that teams resort to playing a long-ball game! Barca, Bayern or Arsenal simply couldn't play their brand of football at places like Shielfield, Gayfield or Central Park in January or February - smashing it down the middle is the only option because keeping it on the deck is impossible.

You're bang on when you say you've got a right to express your opinion. Just please do so with counter-arguments and opinions, and not by simply labelling people as "snobs."

So to label people as "snobs" is disrespectful but to respond by calling someone an "idiot" as in an earlier post, is obviously acceptable. Double standards or what? I stress that I only ever express MY OWN opinions and preferences, not saying that this way or that way of playing the game is correct, or that others should not be allowed have their own views, unlike some who give the impression by their responses that they are right and everyone who disagrees with them is an "idiot". I couldn't care less if my views and opinions are shared by the majority, but I do reserve the right to express them if I so wish. Sticks and stones, etc.

Why is Dowie back playing ? Surely Higgins is the better player. This playing one up front just does not work for us You have Reilly running about from one player to the other. We MUST gamble and get a big striker in someone who can win the ball in the air and hold it up. Gemmill of Stenhousemuir is the perfect example He is like a bigger and better player than Holmes. Even if we have to pay a transfer fee we must do it as we must stay in this league. If we don,t want to go down the big striker route then Jamie Longworth at Stranraer is well worth spending a bit of money to get him. The cheap option that we will likely go down is get a under 20 S.P.L. player in on loan no better than we have just now

In MY opinion Dowie is equal to if not better than Higgins so I don't have a problem with his inclusion. I warn that you may however incur the wrath and ridicule of the football "purists" on this site who have shouted down the very notion put forward by others myself included, that we need a tall striker to win high balls which will inevitably be punted up from the back.

Clearly the style and play of the team this season hasn't worked. Also there's no getting away from the fact the players have under performed or simply aren't good enough.

Half way through the season and staying up seems to be Queens goal big disappointment.

So to label people as "snobs" is disrespectful but to respond by calling someone an "idiot" as in an earlier post, is obviously acceptable. Double standards or what? I stress that I only ever express MY OWN opinions and preferences, not saying that this way or that way of playing the game is correct, or that others should not be allowed have their own views, unlike some who give the impression by their responses that they are right and everyone who disagrees with them is an "idiot". I couldn't care less if my views and opinions are shared by the majority, but I do reserve the right to express them if I so wish. Sticks and stones, etc.

You express your opinions but label others as snobs for disagreeing. As I said, the irony is totally lost

Dowie is a better 'footballer' than Higgins but Higgins works out better in the back four unit and is a better defender. I think its as simple as that . Quite unusual in my time watching Queens to see someone ( Dowie) passing the ball out of defence having been used to watching the likes of Aitken and Thompson. Dowies style of play takes more risks than the usual centre half style by passing along the ground and the chances of it being intercepted . He also leaves himself open to a broadside from the terraces and especially on here when it doesn't come off.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Clearly the style and play of the team this season hasn't worked. Also there's no getting away from the fact the players have under performed or simply aren't good enough.

Half way through the season and staying up seems to be Queens goal big disappointment.

Johnston made a few changes to Gus's relegated squad and turned them into record breakers.

McIntyre has made a few changes to Johnston's squad and we are now relegation fodder again.

The players aren't the problem, it's down to the jokers "managing" them.

For me Durnan has to play in central defence. Not that fussed re Dowie or Higgins both decent players.

This. Although it just confirms that the signing of Dowie was a "jobs for the boys" type signing, because although he is no worse than Higgins, he is no better. So why sign him?

Johnston made a few changes to Gus's relegated squad and turned them into record breakers.

McIntyre has made a few changes to Johnston's squad and we are now relegation fodder again.

The players aren't the problem, it's down to the jokers "managing" them.

This. Although it just confirms that the signing of Dowie was a "jobs for the boys" type signing, because although he is no worse than Higgins, he is no better. So why sign him?

I`ve no problem with signing Dowie. McGuffie was OK backup in central defence last season but not a league higher up. Dowie is a good signing in my view in that we need 3 decent central defenders.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The players are good enough to be higher up the league and not worrying about relegation.

We don't need another striker, but we do need to stop the farce of playing one up front.

The team is being handicapped by a fool who continually employs a system that doesn't suit the players and therefore doesn't work. And in cases where they overcome it and get ahead in games, he changes the approach to attack less.

He has the same inability Chisholm had of being unable to pick the best team and get the best out of it, combined with the negativity of McPherson.

I thought he would be a good appointment because he originally sounded like he wanted us to attack as much as possible. Nothing could be further from the truth. He has. a better squad than McPherson had, but broadly similar league results, with a worse home record.

If anybody had said before the season started that Alloa would be the team in with a shout of the play offs and we were the ones who would be thinking about relegation, you'd have thought they were nuts.

You express your opinions but label others as snobs for disagreeing. As I said, the irony is totally lost

I do not label them as snobs for the fact that they disagree with my opinions, more for the manner that they express their own opinions as being unquestionably beyond doubt and anyone who does offer a different opinion or preference to theirs should regarded as irrelevant and/or subjected to abuse. If anyone doesn't like MY opinions they can always ignore them, as I often do with theirs. As for the name-calling, as I said before, sticks and stones, etc. At the end of the day it's only a matter of putting across personal opinions and keeping an open mind to accept that others may have different views. I may be in a minority of one with the way I like to see football played, I doubt that though, but honestly I'm Seriously Not Overly Bothered.

So you are a snob?

No! I express my views on how I like to see football played whilst I understand and respect the view that it is not the way many think it should be played. The difference between my outlook and some others is that I do not express my preferences as the ultimate word on the matter and which should be accepted without question which I regard as a high-handed and dismissive reaction on their part.

Snobs is merely a shorter way of writing "Our views are the only ones that matter, we are right because we say we are right so there, and anyone with different views are imbeciles"

The approach to how we play football is always changing, that doesn't mean I can't express my wish that it was played in a manner that I personally think is more entertaining.

May I first thank you all for your responses, unfortunately it has only reinforced my original belief that there is a rising level of snobbery among football supporters. Dare to express an opinion or a preference that is different to the "Modern Establishment" views of how things should be done and you incur the wrath of those who are intolerant of those opinions.

Among the posts you quoted ahead of the above was mine that simply said "Dad?". In writing it, I was jokingly making the point that you sounded a bit like my dad who makes similar noises to you. I'm actually quite fond of the old bugger and largely respectful of his opinions, so I think your charge of 'snobbery' is somewhat misplaced.

My problem with a patient passing game does not relate to how some of the world's best players do it with Barcelona or Spain. I still enjoy watching these sides because although patient, there's a probing, purposeful feel to what they do and you know the potential for explosive urgency is there when openings appear.

My problem is when Queens do it slowly, imprecisely and in areas that are far too deep to inflict damage.

Last season, even against better sides in cup ties, we were able to get the ball forward earlier, not by lumping it, but by finding space and moving it slickly. We were able to do something similar at Tynecastle this season.

I'm not opposed to a more traditional game as a particular point of principle, although a 'cleverer' game is in my view more attractive. It's just that I know we can play a decent passing game with those we currently have. That we don't do it tells me a change in manager is called for, rather than a change in playing staff.