The Queen of the South thread

McIntyre was clearly a big fan when nobody else was, so it's no surprise that he's interested in the current version.

On that basis can we expect to see Antell between the sticks in Dingwall? That would be superb.

McIntyre was clearly a big fan when nobody else was, so it's no surprise that he's interested in the current version.

That's true ! I must admit that I didn't see much in the boy but got proved wrong big time . By no means the finished product but has improved leaps and bounds .

That's true ! I must admit that I didn't see much in the boy but got proved wrong big time . By no means the finished product but has improved leaps and bounds .

Yes, I got that one wildly wrong too. I just couldn't see what McShane offered. He was definitely worth persevering with though.

The BOD have done very well in the last few years to get Queens where they are now both on and off the park but I think they have missed a trick here. The youngsters we are talking about are the same ones who really started to come of age under Johnston and a lot said then that we should have got them signed up long term. This hasn't seemed to have happened and now we may rue the chance to make some good money if they do move on.

Hamilton, Falkirk, Living etc are past masters at doing this and have made a lot of money.

Watching with interest in what or if any Queens players show their inclination to leave . As we have all seen, moving from Qos is no guarantee to improve your career and that goes for ex managers as well. The saying of the grass isn't always greener is quite apt here.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Heard a story yesterday of a changing room bust up after the game on Saturday . I'll not name the player involved but I think he said what others have been feeling recently . This maybe explains why we've not been at the races the last two games .

It would maybe help if Queens got themselves a proper assistant manager or at least someone who knows what he's talking about

Whos been feeling what?

The BOD have done very well in the last few years to get Queens where they are now both on and off the park but I think they have missed a trick here. The youngsters we are talking about are the same ones who really started to come of age under Johnston and a lot said then that we should have got them signed up long term. This hasn't seemed to have happened and now we may rue the chance to make some good money if they do move on. Hamilton, Falkirk, Living etc are past masters at doing this and have made a lot of money.

Would we really make any more money if they were under contract than the compensation we'd get? We've got some good young players but none who stand out in the way McArthur etc did

[quote name="Mr X" post="9074248" timestamp="1419890698"

Would we really make any more money if they were under contract than the compensation we'd get? We've got some good young players but none who stand out in the way McArthur etc did

Well I don't really know but I would have thought that if the player was signed up on a long time contract it would cost more for a team to buy him than if he was only on a short term deal. No?

Watching with interest in what or if any Queens players show their inclination to leave . As we have all seen, moving from Qos is no guarantee to improve your career and that goes for ex managers as well. The saying of the grass isn't always greener is quite apt here.

It's interesting. For all that several managers in recent years have left us in an upward direction, not all that many players have. It'll be interesting to see how any that eventually do, get on.

The January window is just the worst. If you lose a player there isn't anyone good on a free and you have to depend on a loan signings and hope the Premiership reject turns out to be Stephen Dobbie. Falkirk's annual arse collapse from February onwards is partly why they have been there for this long.

It's virtually impossible to do now but I'd have liked some sort of organised free agent period from the end of season afterwards as pre contracts are distraction in sporting terms.

Well I don't really know but I would have thought that if the player was signed up on a long time contract it would cost more for a team to buy him than if he was only on a short term deal. No?

I dont know, thats why I asked. We would be due compensation on most of the players likely to generate interest apart from Durnan and McShane, I guess. McShane is already on a two year deal.

I cant see anyone paying the kind of money that Hamilton and Falkirk have got in the last few years for any of our players.

It's interesting. For all that several managers in recent years have left us in an upward direction, not all that many players have. It'll be interesting to see how any that eventually do, get on.

How about a just for fun game of "guess the level"?

Clark - after spending 2015/16 as reserve goalkeeper with St Johnstone, leaves to progress his stalling career and signs for a mid-table Championship side such as Raith. Finds his level.

Holt - has the enthusiasm, pace and raw talent to play at a higher level. Still makes the occasional rash decision, and can be suspect defensively. Could make it in the English Championship via a few years developing in the Scottish Premiership.

Durnan - very complete player who wouldn't look out of place playing for a top 6 Scottish Premiership team. Potential Scotland cap.

McShane - still has a tendency to disappear in games. Probably a bottom 6 Premiership player at present. If he improved at that level at the rate he has for us he could go higher. Mid-table Scottish Premiership, or the English equivalent (League 1?).

Reilly - Steady season-on-season improvement has seen him become one of the best goalscorers in the division. Missing the arrogance of a great striker. Should make a fist of it in the English League 1, before returning to the Scottish Premiership towards the end of his career.

If Craig Samson can be a Premiership mainstay I think Clark can too. I'd say lower Premiership/upper Championship at say St Mirren or Motherwell.

Holt I think will be at a decent English league one club

Durnan - Premiership regular #baller

McShane will probably get his big move and get a lot less time to settle like he did here and probably come back and play very well for us.

Reilly - Golden Boot Winner.

Danny - Still here as the Marco Reus of the Scottish Championship

Lewis Kidd - Airdrieonians

Edited by Sloop John B

A successful small side as queens are, in a lot of people's eyes out with dumfries will always cause it's own problems am afraid.

Players ego's get too big for there boots and the team morale that has been so good over recent seasons will start to disappear.

The board must act and bring an experienced Asi manager to work alongside Fowler, someone he can lean on at this difficult time he always said he didn't need one as things were running along smoothly well now it's starting to go off the rails.