The Queen of the South thread

Am I right in saying this is the first time all season we have been outside the top 4 ?

We dropped out briefly once before. I can't remember the circumstances, possibly when our game vs Raith was postponed.

Not sure what to make of Falkirk once again scraping by Cowdenbeath. On the one hand I'm sure their fans will be more than happy to be picking up 3 points at this stage of the season. On the other, I think it confirms my belief that they aren't a particularly great side who we should be assuming are going to pick up points in the games that you'd necessarily expect them to.

The picture should become clearer after Saturday's games.

We dropped out briefly once before. I can't remember the circumstances, possibly when our game vs Raith was postponed.

Not sure what to make of Falkirk once again scraping by Cowdenbeath. On the one hand I'm sure their fans will be more than happy to be picking up 3 points at this stage of the season. On the other, I think it confirms my belief that they aren't a particularly great side who we should be assuming are going to pick up points in the games that you'd necessarily expect them to.

The picture should become clearer after Saturday's games.

We dropped out for a week after losing at home to Hibs in January. We climbed back up to 4th the following week after winning 5-0 at Cowdenbeath whilst Falkirk were held at home by Dumbarton.

Inevitably to an extent the picture clears up as games reduce but the complete imbalance of our fixtures relative to Falkirk's probably means it won't really become all that clear until right at the end. It would represent a successful day on Saturday if we avoid dropping further behind given we're at Hibs and they are at home to Raith. They then go to Livingston before we entertain Rangers. We could conceivably be 8 points behind them before the head to head which would leave them needing only a win to clinch the playoffs. Hopefully we're closer than that but even if it is 8 a win over them would still leave us in a decent position with a last three games of Alloa, Dumbarton & Livingston compared to them having two games against Rangers and Hibs.

It still looks likely that the head to head will be pivotal.

We dropped out for a week after losing at home to Hibs in January. We climbed back up to 4th the following week after winning 5-0 at Cowdenbeath whilst Falkirk were held at home by Dumbarton.

Inevitably to an extent the picture clears up as games reduce but the complete imbalance of our fixtures relative to Falkirk's probably means it won't really become all that clear until right at the end. It would represent a successful day on Saturday if we avoid dropping further behind given we're at Hibs and they are at home to Raith. They then go to Livingston before we entertain Rangers. We could conceivably be 8 points behind them before the head to head which would leave them needing only a win to clinch the playoffs. Hopefully we're closer than that but even if it is 8 a win over them would still leave us in a decent position with a last three games of Alloa, Dumbarton & Livingston compared to them having two games against Rangers and Hibs.

It still looks likely that the head to head will be pivotal.

Are you not concerned about Raith Rovers?

I'd rather that Falkirk drew than lost this weekend, I think.

Yep,we still have the orcs and hearts both away,even without these fixtures there's no need to worry about us

I tend to agree that you are probably out of the equation, so feel free to stick four past The Bairns on Saturday.

Looking in from the outside it appears your season is going a bit like ours did last year, with it ending with a strong feeling of "what if" about it, largely due to a stubborn manager taking his time implementing things the fans had said from day one.

A good end to the season makes for a pleasant summer though, until the football starts again anyway!

I tend to agree that you are probably out of the equation, so feel free to stick four past The Bairns on Saturday.

Looking in from the outside it appears your season is going a bit like ours did last year, with it ending with a strong feeling of "what if" about it, largely due to a stubborn manager taking his time implementing things the fans had said from day one.

A good end to the season makes for a pleasant summer though, until the football starts again anyway!

not a lot of love lost with us and falkirk andit would be very satisfying to do them

our season has been a bit of a roller coaster,decent start,major slump middle part and a decent ending so far,yeah we could have been sayin g what if but in all honesty we haven't been pretty to watch overall

good luck and would like to see you make the play offs,but I like my trips to Dumfries so hope it's glorious failure :-)

Pat Slattery off on loan to Queens Park again. After his performances later in the promotion season under Magic, though unfortunately picking up an injury at the end of the season IIRC, I expected him to kick on and be a regular contender for a starting place in the 1st team. He looked like a player who could add a bit of dig in midfield and I believe he can cover in several positions. Obviously both McIntyre and Fowler didn't think he was ready.

Pat Slattery off on loan to Queens Park again. After his performances later in the promotion season under Magic, though unfortunately picking up an injury at the end of the season IIRC, I expected him to kick on and be a regular contender for a starting place in the 1st team. He looked like a player who could add a bit of dig in midfield and I believe he can cover in several positions. Obviously both McIntyre and Fowler didn't think he was ready.

Have watched him play a number of times & have to agree with the current manager and don't think he would currently make the squad, wish the lad well at Queen's Park tho.

Are you not concerned about Raith Rovers?I'd rather that Falkirk drew than lost this weekend, I think.

Not particularly, and certainly not immediately, no. A draw in that game would be decent for us but I would prefer a Raith win. There are six games left and Raith still have to go to Ibrox and Tynecastle. They are not incapable of getting points there but its unlikely. Realistically if we get 7 more points Raith probably wont be a factor and if we dont get at least 7 more points we wont finish ahead of Falkirk anyway. Edited by Skyline Drifter

Not particularly, and certainly not immediately, no. A draw in that game would be decent for us but I would prefer a Raith win. There are six games left and Raith still have to go to Ibrox and Tynecastle. They are not incapable of getting points there but its unlikely. Realistically if we get 7 more points Raith probably wont be a factor and if we dont get at least 7 more points we wont finish ahead of Falkirk anyway.

Plenty of logic there. You're probably right.

I wonder if in our look at the run-in though, we're all too keen to assume that the weaker sides will be swept aside by the play-off contenders, while the big three will duly beat all of us.

A look at last Saturday's results (not ours, alas) shows that this is far from certain.

Indeed, given that we've matched Rangers so far, including a resounding Palmerston victory, it could perhaps be argued that this fixture presents as good a chance of victory as do our last two away games, given that we've only won away from home on three occasions.

Plenty of logic there. You're probably right.

I wonder if in our look at the run-in though, we're all too keen to assume that the weaker sides will be swept aside by the play-off contenders, while the big three will duly beat all of us.

A look at last Saturday's results (not ours, alas) shows that this is far from certain.

Indeed, given that we've matched Rangers so far, including a resounding Palmerston victory, it could perhaps be argued that this fixture presents as good a chance of victory as do our last two away games, given that we've only won away from home on three occasions.

Agree about the sides scrapping at the bottom. I expect them to be very stuffy opponents. The only thing going for the leagues of 10 teams, in my view, is that there are very few teams with nothing to play for in the final quarter of the season.

Plenty of logic there. You're probably right. I wonder if in our look at the run-in though, we're all too keen to assume that the weaker sides will be swept aside by the play-off contenders, while the big three will duly beat all of us. A look at last Saturday's results (not ours, alas) shows that this is far from certain. Indeed, given that we've matched Rangers so far, including a resounding Palmerston victory, it could perhaps be argued that this fixture presents as good a chance of victory as do our last two away games, given that we've only won away from home on three occasions.

I agree completely, although I made my similar comments about Falkirk not necessarily winning all of the games a certain pessimistic poster(s) may have had them down to win.

Long time reader but new poster here. Just wanted to jump onto this thread to say I hope you boys get promoted this year. By far the best team I've seen visit Tynie this year. Although I was happy we got the win on Sat, part of me wished you boys offered a little more in the final third. That seems to be the only weakness I picked up on.

I never made it down to Palmerston at all this season and would love to be able to rectify that next year in the Premiership. Mates that went down there came back with nothing but good things to say about the ground, the fans and the overall hospitality.

Orra best ;-)

Was Bob McHugh any good for you last season? On loan at us for the rest of the season

Yeah he did pretty well over the piece. Slow start including one horrific miss of what amounted to a tap in during his second or third game but he came good. Grabbed four goals in his last three games for us including all three against Falkirk in our 4-3 agg playoff loss. I would have happily had him back if we were not prevented from doing so under the rules.

I know he is on his way back from injury but I would have thought he should do well at League One level.

Hi guys. Just a quick drop in Q+A session here.

Do you guys reckon it's worthwhile actually gettjng to the playoffs as I see both yourselves and ourselves playing 2 games tops and then parped out?

Their is no money to be made from these games either and to be honest, I just see this as more expense for myself and no return likely.

It's hard to sugarcoat this as anything other than a waste of time and money.

All my opinion of course guys but how do yous see it?