The Queen of the South thread

I've always found the smaller pitch to be an odd size. It feels like it is almost as wide as it is long. I'm not sure it is big enough to be split down much. I suppose it could be used by the very youngest age groups.

I'm pretty sure the MUGA at Sandside was operated from KGV as well. I'm not sure how regularly it is used since the Arena opened, but it's another asset in our vastly increasing empire!

I had the exact same thought regarding DGOne! :lol: It's a shame they demolished the old swimming pool, with a roof that size it would have made a good indoor football pitch for those that enjoy a Jim Thomson-esque clearance, something you are rather restricted with in the Arena.

Being small and quick, it suits me really well, but being multi-purpose it is utterly useless for just about every sport :lol: . Queens and Tesco seem to be in competition to see who can own the town. A little strange that Queens are in charge of such a large chunk of the sports infrastructure rather than the council, who knows we could become the Scottish Bayern Munich and have teams in multiple sports...

I can see it now, I was a big fan of the 1960s architecture and decor , climbing down into the crater where the pool used to be would be like going into the coliseum, you could have put some steps down to the deep end for the serious games. The droves would have flocked there IMO with the crowd very much on top of you. However a JT clearance probably knocked the old place down for a lot cheaper.

The cage at King George wasn't ever designed for football. It's 2 tennis courts, which explains the shape, but they stuck goals in as it's never used for tennis.

I'm hearing it may well have one of these inflatable dome covers on it for winter months

The cage at King George wasn't ever designed for football. It's 2 tennis courts, which explains the shape, but they stuck goals in as it's never used for tennis.

I've played tennis there twice. Always better than the Doc Park mine field. But one day we went and they couldn't put a net up because the metal cover was stuck! Good old King George.

Guest Back Post Misses

Yours to lose now. We were abject tonight. They will be difficult to beat though. We have to win Sunday and beat either sevco or Hibs to have any chance.

Heard a strange rumour tonight which I hope isn't true, could Queens build a new football stadium to replace Palmerston at the King George? Is the site big enough for a new home for Queens?

I doubt it, the site is not big enough and as well as we seem to be doing off the park I can't see there being a budget in place for a new ground.

If funds were there I think Park Farm would be the only realistic area within the confines of the town. I don't know who owns the land and I doubt the residents would find favour in such a project either.

Edited by qos_75

I doubt it, the site is not big enough and as well as we seem to be doing off the park I can't see there being a budget in place for a new ground.

If funds were there I think Park Farm would be the only realistic area within the confines of the town. I don't know who owns the land and I doubt the residents would find favour in such a project either.

Is there any real case for re-locating to a new ground these days anyway?

I would hope the rumour is nonsense.

Cage football? No rules I assume, 2 teams enter 1 team leaves.

Is there any real case for re-locating to a new ground these days anyway?I would hope the rumour is nonsense.

We need a new main stand, but that will be a lot cheaper than a whole new ground. Given the amount we've spent on Palmerston over the past couple of seasons I would be very surprised if we were to move.

Sounds to me like someone putting 2 + 2 together and getting 56.

The Main Stand will need redeveloping in the near future, which will be a fairly major job considering it holds the offices, changing rooms, hospitality etc. The rest of the ground is in fairly good nick though. The two terraces are low maintenance (and any maintenance is carried out by volunteers during the Summer), and the new stand should have years of life left in it.

Moving elsewhere would be a non-starter IMO and cost far more than it would be worth.

It makes zero sense at all, the King george might be useful if we ever rebuild the main stand to move some of the administration away from Palmerston during construction but a 4000+ seat stadium in a location with access from one side only, next to a cycle path, park and a residential area is a non starter. especially if we asks the council for money to part fund it.

I'd imagine developing KGV into a profitable business is higher on the priorities than a fairly unnecessary, awkward and expensive new stand

I'd imagine developing KGV into a profitable business is higher on the priorities than a fairly unnecessary, awkward and expensive new stand

Not sure if I have picked up the wrong end of the stick, if so I apologise. I don't think redeveloping the main stand is unnecessary. I would say it is something that needs looked at over the next couple of years.

That said, getting King George the V up and running would be a solid base on which to keep the money coming in.

I wonder if the company that laid the pitch will replace the one at King George as a reward if we reach the play-offs again!