The Queen of the South thread

If we beat Alloa next week and assuming 3rd place is out of reach then, do you think we should give some of the younsters some game time?

Always tricky as momentum is so important in sport. That said there might be the benefit of resting people carrying a knock or who are close to a ban.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

To be honest I don't mind the smoke grenades if we've just scored a goal or there's a big atmosphere at the game. However, the bangers are just pathetic and make folk shit their pants and destroy the atmosphere - rather than make you chuckle and have a good experience.

This. 100 percent.

Why? Why should other fans be dictated too where they stand because of these idiots?

Presumably, the little boy who had his hands over his ears for a long time after todays incident was to blame because he chose to stand behind the goals? :rolleyes:

I meant more in a sense of alienating them from normal people when they do something stupid seeing as they use the terrace to blend in if they see the authorities coming in. They need the other fans more than the other way round.

Aside from letting the authorities do their jobs, how do you stop the rest of them from going to Palmerston? They'll still turn up and they won't learn their lesson until it's too late.

I'm sure I saw a woman going down to comfort 2 young lads who were standing behind a barrier behind the goal after the banger went off. Both youngsters looked distressed and had hands over their ears for a while afterwards. Also saw a fellow (late forties) have a real go at the youths who let the banger off and general booing from other supporters.

No place for bangers at football matches in confined spaces like that. I'm sure police will be studying cctv and will identify the culprits

I meant more in a sense of alienating them from normal people when they do something stupid seeing as they use the terrace to blend in if they see the authorities coming in. They need the other fans more than the other way round.

Aside from letting the authorities do their jobs, how do you stop the rest of them from going to Palmerston? They'll still turn up and they won't learn their lesson until it's too late.

OK fair enough.

I would have thought that throwing them all out would pretty quickly put a stop to it.

No, not really. As others have said, if the group arent prepare to identify the culprit then get rid of them all. They've done something that could not only get the club into trouble but will put other fans off coming at, almost, every home game for months now. Enough is enough

Enough was enough weeks ago. The constant "it was someone new", "we will make sure it doesnt happen again" or "someone else did it and moved away leaving us to get blamed" is laughable. I cant believe there are still apologists for this kind of stuff floating about but it was at least heartening to hear the general reaction to todays incident. I dont let my kids go to the football yet because generally they dont like loud noise but we have been thinking about letting them go soon. I shudder to think of the tears there would have been if today had been their first game. Absolutely moronic behaviour. We dont need "fans" like that and it certainly doesnt help the club who will inevitably have to pay higher policing and stewarding bills because of this sort of anti-social behaviour.

OK fair enough.

I would have thought that throwing them all out would pretty quickly put a stop to it.

I wouldn't disagree but how do you decide who is associated with them and who isn't and how do you stop them from coming back? The way it's going it's a matter of time before the dens park style pat downs start happening a lot more.

I wouldn't disagree but how do you decide who is associated with them and who isn't and how do you stop them from coming back? The way it's going it's a matter of time before the dens park style pat downs start happening a lot more.

I dont think it would be that difficult to identify the group and throw them all out. It might mean some "innocents" are ejected but they'll, presumably, simply stop hanging around with that group. I wouldnt bother too much about trying to stop them coming back. Increase the police and stewarding around them - not necessarily in numbers, just proximity - throw out everyone in the group and it will soon stop

Whoever made the decision to release Durnan from St Johnstone really needs to be spoken to! The boy is oozing potential.

Releasing him saved his career, quite frankly. He was heading down the same route as Stephen Reynolds.

I agree with the consensus view here.

It's a shame because these guys do add colour and apart from the similar incident on Thursday, they added significantly to the occasion.

I know that the behaviour can be anti-social though and today's incident certainly falls into that category. I was in the main stand and it was bloody loud. God knows what it's like if you're in the vicinity. I saw a bloke carrying a small child away to the side soon afterwards.

I was also struck by the fact that police and stewards homed in afterwards. I'd have thought that having some nearby in the first place, might have been an idea after Thursday. I'd also have thought that having CCTV cameras trained on the area would be sensible and might prove helpful.

I really hope the group can police themselves, but if not, restrictions will need to be imposed.

It's not so long ago that this group were claiming of being unfairly harassed because they were being searched on the way in and police and stewards were standing near them victimising them during games like big bullies. I had little sympathy for them then and after Thursday's and today's game I have even less. Like others I appreciate the atmosphere that they bring to games when channeled in the right way but that does not give them the right to spoil other people's enjoyment with such stupid pranks.

To be honest I don't mind the smoke grenades if we've just scored a goal or there's a big atmosphere at the game. However, the bangers are just pathetic and make folk shit their pants and destroy the atmosphere - rather than make you chuckle and have a good experience.

In case anyone missed this news item, the rangers supporter who let off the smokebomb at Thursday night's game was banned for a year from attending matches and fined 350 pounds by the Courts. You decide if it's a smart thing to do and also consider if it's worth the possibility of the club being censured by the Football Authorities.

If we do have Clark for another season then I'd think he would likely sign for us the season after, when his saints deal ends.

Its a possibility, considering Mannus is now tied down for longer. I think Clarks aware we consider him Mannus' successor though.

Folk are talking about "bangers", as if what we heard was the noise of a standard firework. Anybody at the game knows that these are much louder. I was half a pitch away and it was one helluva noise.

They were some very frightened young kids and shocked and angry adults. As others have said, it's completely unacceptable. There is CCTV in that enclosure so it should be a simple matter to ban the culprit(s).

The Rangers fan with the noiseless smoke bomb was dealt with promptly. So should this person be. Anybody can make a mistake but that's twice in a matter of days.

Why not? They were reputed to have shown interest in Durnan and Holt is of a similar standard (better in my opinion but not by much).

I doubt we could afford Eckersley's wages.

We've now all but mathematically qualified for the play-offs and get circa £245k for it added to the additional revenue we will have made this season from the visiting "big" teams, why wouldn't we be able to afford his wages.

Presuming we lose a few in the summer, it will be interesting to see how ambitious as a club we are with the players we try to sign for next season.