The Queen of the South thread

We've now all but mathematically qualified for the play-offs and get circa £245k for it added to the additional revenue we will have made this season from the visiting "big" teams, why wouldn't we be able to afford his wages. Presuming we lose a few in the summer, it will be interesting to see how ambitious as a club we are with the players we try to sign for next season.

It also depends on the outcome of those play-offs. I think of we were to somehow come through the play-offs then most, if not all, of our young out of contract players would stay with us.

Only a maniac would think we should be competing with Hearts wage-wise, regardless of what division we are playing in.

Who said anything about competing with Hearts for wages, Eckersley will be without a club and I would expect we would negotiate his new wage if he was interested in playing for a good team at least at the level he is now.

Who said anything about competing with Hearts for wages, Eckersley will be without a club and I would expect we would negotiate his new wage if he was interested in playing for a good team at least at the level he is now.

Queens can't afford wages Eckersley would expect

Which would be?

I don't need to know the figures involved, and I don't, to know that Hearts will be paying considerably higher wages than us. Are you disputing that? Or are you suggesting it shouldn't be the case?

Either way it is insane.

I don't need to know the figures involved, and I don't, to know that Hearts will be paying considerably higher wages than us. Are you disputing that? Or are you suggesting it shouldn't be the case?

Either way it is insane.

Like you I have no idea what Hearts pay although I know they were in financial difficulties and I would expect their wage structure would have since been set to suit.

What I do know is that Eckersley will not be at Hearts next season and we could offer him the opportunity to play at least at the same level he is now.

My question is how ambitious are we as a club?

And you're using Adam Eckersley as the barometer of ambition? On the day we secured our place in the playoffs? At the end of a run of games that has seen us beat Hibs and The Rangers? A week that has also seen us expand our training facilities?

And you're using Adam Eckersley as the barometer of ambition? On the day we secured our place in the playoffs? At the end of a run of games that has seen us beat Hibs and The Rangers? A week that has also seen us expand our training facilities?

Aye all good stuff.

Well for most of the season Eckersley has played left back for a team that scooshed the league, i'm just being reasonably realistic.

Maybe you could suggest someone we could afford.

Like you I have no idea what Hearts pay although I know they were in financial difficulties and I would expect their wage structure would have since been set to suit.What I do know is that Eckersley will not be at Hearts next season and we could offer him the opportunity to play at least at the same level he is now. My question is how ambitious are we as a club?

Their wage structure will have been set to suit their income. This is a big city club who have spent the season more or less selling out their 18,000 capacity stadium, who have enormous commercial income and who are being funded on top of that to a very significant extent by the Foundation of Hearts. I think we can safely presume anyone signed to play regularly in their first team is probably on something into four figures a week.

That of course is fairly irrelevant as Hearts have already said he isnt getting a contract next year. What matters is what other offers he has. I would have thought Eckersley would be much more likely to return to England or to Denmark where he spent the previous three years. He also had SPL interest last summer.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Good piece by Tom English on Queens. Sorry if posted earlier.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/scotland/32278426

In their last three games they have beaten Hibs, Rangers and Falkirk - the two teams directly ahead of them and the one side directly underneath them. They are motoring along serenely while Rangers and Hibs do their split personality routine. :lol:

It might still seem a bit improbable that Queens could overturn Hibs or Rangers over two legs and then beat Rangers or Hibs over two more legs to take their place in the play-off final, but their record stands up to all sorts of scrutiny.

They have played Rangers four times this season and have a winning record against them - winning two, drawing one and losing one. Their aggregate score against Rangers is 8-5 in their favour. They've scored in all four of the matches between the sides whereas Rangers went goal-less in two of them.

They also have a winning record against Hibs - winning two, drawing one and losing one. The fine margins are illustrated by the aggregate score of 2-2 over the four matches. Hibs went goal-less in three of those four matches.

Meh, more patronising guff from the Beeb. We've been fourth for virtually the entire campaign, as well as reaching the cup quarter final, beating the holders on the way.

They might be patting themselves on the back for taking the daring step of writing a non-OF based article (they still manage to cram enough references in about them) and decreeing it is "time to recognise Queen of the South". I'd say they're a bit late to that party.

Right, I'm stepping away from my pessimistic comfort blanket, to make the assumption that we'll now finish fourth. I'm pretty sure we will do so, even if we don't get another point.

On the basis of that assumption then, who would you rather see finishing 3rd?

In other words, who, from Hibs and Rangers, would you like us to face in the first round of the play-offs, safe in the knowledge that the other one would await, in the unlikely event (ah, that feels comfier) of us squeaking through?

Personally, I'd pick Rangers first. They don't like Palmerston and will feel an awful lot of pressure if they need to negotiate three rounds to get up.

Both routes will look pretty daunting for us though. Still, exciting times ahead.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Now is the time to see what the rest of the squad has got. No better chance to try out our young/ fringe lads in real competitive action and give some legs a rest for arduous upcoming events .

I wouldn't make wholesale changes, we've got good momentum and I wouldn't want to see that stalled.

If Kidd picked up a knock, and Durnan is still carrying his then I'd be happy to continue with Hooper at right back. I wouldn't change much else to be honest. Paton and Russell should be eased back into competitive action, and despite his age, Lyle has to carry on playing as he is on fire just now.

The players have all Summer to rest.