The Queen of the South thread

No far from it, in fact the complete opposite. Would like to think it was a bit of an inspirational comment, no?

I suppose. Now, if you could comment on how The Rangers are now financially secure and QoS have no chance of promotion I'd be most grateful.

I suppose. Now, if you could comment on how The Rangers are now financially secure and QoS have no chance of promotion I'd be most grateful.

Yeah but we all know neither of those are true! ;-)

Johnston kens the score when it comes to the third tier of Scottish football.

I didn't grudge him a move to Killie, but I reckon he should have stayed with us to gain that extra bit of experience at a higher level. The jump was ultimately too big for him at the time.

Del Lyle, And 2 former Chairmen Norman Blount & David Rae have been honoured by the club and will be added to Queens hall of fame at a ball in the easterbrook hall on oct 24th along with two others nominated by fans etc. The 3 chosen by the club are very well deserved.

I can't imagine anyone will disagree with the decision to induct Derek Lyle, Norman Blount and Davie Rae into our Hall of Fame. Three highly deserving candidates. They will be added to the previous inductees as shown below.

So who else should get in?

A lot of the obvious candidates are in there already. Obviously my suggestions will be more skewed towards the modern era, but I'm sure some of our older posters will have some ideas. I would quite like to see John Connolly put in. He kick-started our rise to where we are now, and put two trophies in the cabinet whilst we were still a part time club. Although he wasn't club captain, and didn't score in the Scottish Cup final, Andy Aitken has about as much right to be in there as Jim Thomson, so I'd like to see him in. Another two who I feel are deserving of inclusion would be Paul Burns and Stephen Dobbie. However it might be too soon after Burnsy's testimonial season for him to once again be receiving recognition from the club, I don't know? He's bound to get in eventually. I tend to think we should wait until Dobbie has retired before inducting him, but again, I suspect he'll make it in one day.

JR does the man who inspired your username deserve entry? How about Andy Goram for Monkey Tennis? Going back to my early days of watching us, what about "cult heroes" Stevie Mallan and Derek Townsley?

Alan Ball
Billy Houliston
Jim Paterson
Jim Thomson
Tommy Bryce
Kevin McCormick

Roy Henderson
Ian McChesney
Bobby Black
Andy Thomson
John Paterson

I can't imagine anyone will disagree with the decision to induct Derek Lyle, Norman Blount and Davie Rae into our Hall of Fame. Three highly deserving candidates. They will be added to the previous inductees as shown below.

So who else should get in?

A lot of the obvious candidates are in there already. Obviously my suggestions will be more skewed towards the modern era, but I'm sure some of our older posters will have some ideas. I would quite like to see John Connolly put in. He kick-started our rise to where we are now, and put two trophies in the cabinet whilst we were still a part time club. Although he wasn't club captain, and didn't score in the Scottish Cup final, Andy Aitken has about as much right to be in there as Jim Thomson, so I'd like to see him in. Another two who I feel are deserving of inclusion would be Paul Burns and Stephen Dobbie. However it might be too soon after Burnsy's testimonial season for him to once again be receiving recognition from the club, I don't know? He's bound to get in eventually. I tend to think we should wait until Dobbie has retired before inducting him, but again, I suspect he'll make it in one day.

JR does the man who inspired your username deserve entry? How about Andy Goram for Monkey Tennis? Going back to my early days of watching us, what about "cult heroes" Stevie Mallan and Derek Townsley?

Alan Ball

Billy Houliston

Jim Paterson

Jim Thomson

Tommy Bryce

Kevin McCormick

Roy Henderson

Ian McChesney

Bobby Black

Andy Thomson

John Paterson

Yes, Goram would certainly be my pick. Actually, don't joke - someone will endorse the suggestion.

Totally agree on Connolly. He kick started things for us on the field in much the same way as Norman Blount did, off it.

I also loved Dobbie like a brother, but he wasn't here that long really and it throws up the idea of criteria.

I like the whole Hall of Fame idea, but it's fraught with difficulties. Posthumous awards are obviously permitted given some of the names already there, and I therefore feel that they're probably under represented given how strong we were in the thirties and fifties.

I can't introduce any suggestions from then of my own, but there is an inevitable modern slant to it all, that maybe undermines it a bit.

I agree. I am fortunate enough to count Andy Aitken and Paul Burns as friends. They both have credentials that make them good candidates for the Hall of Fame at some point. However for me the fact that 3/5ths of the famous Black, McGill, Patterson, Rothera and Oakes forward line of the 50's remain outside is something far more in need of being addressed.

The late great Jim Kerr will hopefully get voted on this time around . Players like Jackie Oakes ( 457 ) , Dougie Sharpe ( 431 ) , Jimmy Roberston ( 400 ) & Jocky Dempster ( 355 appearances ) are in with a shout also

Burns & Aitken will inevitably get their turn but not this time IMO

Really pleased for Del, fully deserved. He will be pivotal to our season. If we can get games won and then get him subbed great because as fit as he is we won't get every game out of him.

The late great Jim Kerr will hopefully get voted on this time around . Players like Jackie Oakes ( 457 ) , Dougie Sharpe ( 431 ) , Jimmy Roberston ( 400 ) & Jocky Dempster ( 355 appearances ) are in with a shout also

Burns & Aitken will inevitably get their turn but not this time IMO

Yep these are exactly the sort of suggestions I was looking for. They're just names to me, but with that many appearances to their name there's no doubting that they should be included.